PDA

View Full Version : OVERHEATING issues please help

juansoccer04
01-04-2015, 05:41 AM
Hello, I have a 2001 audi a4 1.8t Quattro with 160.000 miles, this has been a problem that started a year ago, when my timing belt went, bent valves the whole deal, sent the block for head and valve work, got the ecs timing belt package with new Tstat, waterpump metal impellers,belt ,fluid,tensioners,I think that's everything. So we put in brand new head gaskets and the rest if the set, finish up and the car drove fine for a couple of weeks, until out of the corner of my eye I see the needle go past the middle, 1 line slowly stays there for a little and slowly go back down, happened about the same a few more times, we though we got a bad Tstat so I changed that again ,the car was still goin past the middle, so once again I changed the pump, sort of helped but still overheating a few hairs past the middle but goin down, for a month or so but I keep topping off because it keeps overflowing. changed the clutch fan,radiator,cts. Bought an ecs Schwaben coolant tool to get the air out of the system and somehow made it worse, now the needle just climbs and when I goes past over a line and a half or more past the middle it cuts the heat in the cabin, checked the bottom hose and is cold top hose is boiling hot, don't know wat to do next PLEASE HELP.

B44
01-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Check your oil cooler it can be clogged causing this.

juansoccer04
01-04-2015, 01:16 PM
my oil gauge hasn't gone up higher than normal,so i doubt its that. pretty much the only thing i haven't changed once more is the head gasket because i don't see any of the symptoms no smoke, coolant on spark plugs,coolant on oil or oil in coolant,and compression seemed fine.

wolfe2118
01-04-2015, 08:06 PM
now the needle just climbs and when I goes past over a line and a half or more past the middle it cuts the heat in the cabin,

You have vaporlock. Do you know that the heater hose going into the heater core in the plenum area has a small hole in it? Pull that hose back until you can stick something through the hole. Take the screws out of the coolant reservoir and lift it up as high as possible. You will eventually have coolant come out of that hole in a steady stream, when that happens, your air is purged out of the heater core. I've actually had to put my mouth on the filler cap and blow the coolant through the heater core before. What happens is you get air pockets in the coolant system and as it circulates, the water pump aerates it causing it to loose it's cooling capacity and allowing boiling in the passages. It's very possible that you may be losing cabin heat when the car isn't moving either...same cause.
My guess is, you have been spending a ton of money on parts and tools that aren't going to help. The coolant tool is nice to have but is totally unnecessary.

Cbotello
01-04-2015, 09:43 PM
I had put a new cts in My car and it caused it to over heat a little aswell I had the old one laying around put that one back in and it does not overheat anymore.. So it could be a bad cts

juansoccer04
01-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Shouldn't the coolant tool eliminate air pockets? That's what the tool was supposed to eliminate, but like I said made it worse somehow, I will give ur heater core technique a try,for this the car has to be running and heat full blast? Or it doesn't matter?, Thanx for the input I will try it after work.

juansoccer04
01-05-2015, 05:46 AM
I had put a new cts in My car and it caused it to over heat a little aswell I had the old one laying around put that one back in and it does not overheat anymore.. So it could be a bad cts
I switched the cts after the car was overheating, so I don't think it's that.