PDA

View Full Version : 96 12v hasnt been started in ~2 years

xthealienatorx
01-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Hey all, as maybe some may know, ive been thinking about getting another b5 that i dont really care too much about to throw around on private property and eventually or during part out. My Neighbors son had a 96 5 speed 12v with all the euro goodies and with cheapish aftermarket wheels (still has originals too) and a disgusting reiger style body kit. He got backed into and it tore up the bumber core support, bent the raditor and hood. Ive been told he drove it to where it parked, and everything looks intact, no visual mechanical damge. I currently do not know miles as battery is dead and havent been back over to check. Considering its a 5 speed ive been thinking about swaping it into mine[wrench] as i am done with my tip, now for my 2 main questons.[confused]
1. About the drivetrain, when it was driving, it made the sound of a bolt in a coffee can? What could that be?
2. With it not being started in about 2 years, what should i do simple to see if it still has life? before the usual oil change and monetary tune up.

Thanks

Tanzimur
01-03-2015, 06:57 PM
bolt in a coffe can can be either a knock or misfires, or many other things lmao id take it as the worst thing to think off...

xthealienatorx
01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Oh, one important thing to think of with this, i should be able to get it for $500 as they were going to take it to a junkyard at scrape rate and i said id pay better.

R490
01-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Oh, one important thing to think of with this, i should be able to get it for $500 as they were going to take it to a junkyard at scrape rate and i said id pay better.

Dont' let it die! If anything, it would be awesome for rallycross.

Bordom
01-03-2015, 07:59 PM
1. About the drivetrain, when it was driving, it made the sound of a bolt in a coffee can? What could that be?
Where was it originating from? Independent of engine RPM? If it is RPM dependent, then I would say misfires (coil pack, spark plugs). If speed dependent, collapsed inner CV joint, or propshaft CV.
2. With it not being started in about 2 years, what should i do simple to see if it still has life? before the usual oil change and monetary tune up.
I would just do an oil change. You could [wrench] and do compression/leakdown check. Overkill IMO

If you're swapping everything into your car, take the trunk, passenger stubby, un-corroded mirrors, axles, brake calipers. All as spares since they're interchangeable.

If you don't like lower door mouldings, the 96 doors would be perfect.

xthealienatorx
01-04-2015, 10:06 AM
If you're swapping everything into your car, take the trunk, passenger stubby, un-corroded mirrors, axles, brake calipers. All as spares since they're interchangeable.

If you don't like lower door mouldings, the 96 doors would be perfect.

My lower door moldings are cracked, but i don't like the 96 door handles, can the door handles be swapped and use my door cards?

Bordom
01-04-2015, 10:58 AM
My lower door moldings are cracked, but i don't like the 96 door handles, can the door handles be swapped and use my door cards?
Unfortunately, the prefacelift handles can't be interchanged with facelift ones. Those are the only items not interchangeable on the doors

xthealienatorx
01-04-2015, 12:30 PM
So, with getting it started the first time, just give it charge and start?

Tanzimur
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM
ye crank it over with the coils undone to get the oil flowing and make sure everythings good and rip it!