PDA

View Full Version : Flik paint chipping...solution?

joeya103
09-07-2005, 07:22 AM
I have high gloss silver Flik Justice wheels. Structurally, they've been great and have endured some abuse well. But the paint/finish is pretty horrible on a couple of the wheels. One is so bad that I can almost take paint off with a scratch of a fingernail (the other 3 aren't as sensitive...weird)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried repainting these. I know it's been done for stock wheels (like swings or avus), but never heard of anyone repainting Fliks. One guy powdercoated them...

Is there a paint that might match this finish? I like the wheel, but the paint chipping is getting bad. Please chime in with any suggestions, thanks.

marked001
09-07-2005, 07:36 AM
I dont know of a paint for the silver..but I have a paint that matches the anthracite really well....b/c my wheels are beat to hell! its not the finish...just alot of curbage from both the wife and i [;)]

onemoremile
09-07-2005, 07:42 AM
edge racing told me the Anthracite Flik Lex was powdercoated. powdercoated wheels have to be sandblasted and powdercoated again. there is no touching them up. a painted wheel could easily be touched up if you could find the correct paint.

if the color is chipping and flaking off the wheel then there may be an adhesion problem. again, the only fix is stripping or sandblasting and refinishing.

joeya103
09-07-2005, 07:49 AM
looks like i'm gonna have to take it to a shop and have them re-done =/

onemoremile
09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
you should be able to get it done for around 200 bucks. i have had two sets of wheels done. the BBS centers were $55 each and the Speedline Mistrals were $45 for each wheel and another $5 for each center cap.

Speedline Mistral 1:
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174speedlines_3-med.jpg

BBS RKII
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/1174IMG_1724_small.JPG

Droors43
09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by joeya103
looks like i'm gonna have to take it to a shop and have them re-done =/

I have had two sets of wheels sandblasted and powdercoated by a local guy where i'm from. One set of wheels (my first experience) had to be re-done. The reason being that if the charge of the powedercoat particles is not right the stuff won't adhere correctly. I got my wheels back and they flaked off like bad paint. of course they redid them though for free. Powdercoat should not flake. chip, maybe, but never flake. this seems like a defect. get your loot back if possible.

joeya103
09-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I've emailed edgeracing about this...3 of the wheels are okay, but that one is just crazy bad. Hopefully they can help me get a replacement for little cost.

Thanks for educating me on wheel paint and stuff =P

marked001
09-07-2005, 08:50 AM
a little spray paint over top of some powdercoating never hurt anyone [;)]