PDA

View Full Version : Where to ascertain exterior trim?

Bordom
01-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Had anyone been able to find exterior door trim online for cheap?

I'm looking for facelift trim on the fenders and door.

I have no interest in lower door moldings.

Fire away with links, helpful information, or topic specific chatter!

Bordom
01-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Bump

walky_talky20
01-04-2015, 08:46 PM
This stuff is dealer only. So your options are

A: new stuff from dealer for approximately 1 million dollars.
B: old stuff from junkyard (probably have to buy entire fender/door/whatever you're after, unless it's a pick-n-pull type situation)

There will be less-than-zero aftermarket support for these items, for several reasons:
- Aftermarket goes after volume parts. Most A4's never need the door trim in their [admittedly] short lifetimes. There is no volume.
- Aftermarket goes after volume cars. They'd rather spend their time making Cavalier or Civic parts. Comparatively, there is no volume.
- Aftermarket goes after critical parts. You don't need door trim to drive your car. They know this.

Now the lower door trim (which many B5's need) probably ought to have been a part the aftermarket picked up. But they'd have to make them at half the price (20 bucks each or less), with excellent quality, to get any meaningful volume. So the endeavor was likely not worth it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bordom
01-04-2015, 09:01 PM
This stuff is dealer only. So your options are

A: new stuff from dealer for approximately 1 million dollars.
B: old stuff from junkyard (probably have to buy entire fender/door/whatever you're after, unless it's a pick-n-pull type situation)

There will be less-than-zero aftermarket support for these items, for several reasons:
- Aftermarket goes after volume parts. Most A4's never need the door trim in their [admittedly] short lifetimes. There is no volume.
- Aftermarket goes after volume cars. They'd rather spend their time making Cavalier or Civic parts. Comparatively, there is no volume.
- Aftermarket goes after critical parts. You don't need door trim to drive your car. They know this.

Now the lower door trim (which many B5's need) probably ought to have been a part the aftermarket picked up. But they'd have to make them at half the price (20 bucks each or less), with excellent quality, to get any meaningful volume. So the endeavor was likely not worth it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I did find some trim on Rockauto for $25-30 for the doors and about $16 for fender trim. I'm hesitant to order these as they're insanely cheap with no pictures, but they do reference the correct part numbers (cross-referenced ECS)

They also only stocked pre-facelift trim and that was a no-no to my plans.

Sucks I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Bordom
01-12-2015, 02:17 PM
SUCCESS! I HAVE FOUND EXTERIOR TRIM FOR CHEAP

http://www.carparts.com/results/?N=0&Nr=AND%28universal%3A0%29&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Nty=1&PN=0+4294953017&VN=4294967169+4294966641+4294966629+4294967132+429 4966636&universal=0

Don't know about quality, but it's something! [:D]