PDA

View Full Version : No More Water!@!!

dukez
09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I did it, I replaced my battery. The sink water thing didnt help it much, it still didn't want to hold a charge, and I had to start it up 8 times before i got it going today after work. My buddy said I was going to jack up my alternator if i keep doing that mess, and i took his word. (I've been multi-cranking it for about 3 weeks now)

I replaced it with some AC Delco brand from Winchester AutoParts around here. It started up like a champ after the swap, but we'll see how it goes in the morning.

My voltmeter read the old battery at 12.6 (off car), and the new one at 12.4 (off car) so i don't know WTF thats all about. Maybe its more than the battery problem.

* BTW to the guy who got flamed for saying the battery was a bitch to replace, you know what, it was. [up]

jent
09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
volts are only part of the story....amps also matter but what is the most common failure is it can't hold the amps on a load. You can't really test a load with a common multimeter so take it to autozone or checker or something...you should get a core charge refund anyways to have them recycle it.

dukez
09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
My old battery's crank case number thingy was like 570 (i think, that number was written on the top) my new one is 700. That should destroy right? (Destroy means good)

Winchester said they'd give me $5 to turn in my old one.

jaredpgh
09-07-2005, 07:25 AM
It's called "cold cranking amps". As long as its rated above the minimum required for the car it won't really make a difference, since the starter and other electric and electronic devices on the car draw the amperage they need. The amperage is not forced into the circuit. However, if you had been getting slow starts on cold mornings it will make a difference; she'll fire right up.

bitterchild
09-07-2005, 07:37 PM
how exactly is the battery hard to replace?

dukez
09-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Its not, its a bitch.