PDA

View Full Version : Chattering from my pulley?

Murph_129
12-29-2014, 01:31 PM
So I just recently went through and replaced my serpentine belt and my pulley tensioner. Right after doing this I got this chattering noise that you can hear in the videos below. It did it for maybe 3 minutes after I first started it up, but then it went away. Well its been about 4 days or so and I drove home which is about 100 miles. As I get into town I notice the noise again, somewhat soft, but as I got closer to home it got louder and then softened a bit. It's now just making this noise all the time.

I'm positive it's not coming from the block, heads, valves and so on. Unfortunately from the video you can't hone in on exactly where it's coming from but just hear what the sound is. It's coming from the driver side of the engine bay and what sounds like from one of the three. The alternator, secondary radiator fan hub, or the power steering. I put a screwdriver to the alternator and placed my ear on the other end and you can not hear it coming from there. So I think the alternator is fine. But it could be the radiator fan hub or the power steering pump. From my perspective it most definitely sounds like its coming from the secondary hub, but I wan't your guys opinions on what that sound could be and if anyone else has had this happen?

If so, is it hard to swap this out and where can I get a replacement?

Thanks guys!

//SOLVED: For people that may later stumble across this. I went and got some WD-40 with a long straw on it, with the car idling and chattering like it does in the videos. I sprayed some into the fan clutch bearing and the thing shut right up, and then came back but its very very quiet now. I'm going to go pick up a new one at Napa tmw and get that bad boy pressed in! Thanks for the help guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfmMyJo-azY&list=UUXY0hyWUl4p1jlNX9xVP4eA&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnGV4k4LTM&index=1&list=UUXY0hyWUl4p1jlNX9xVP4eA

A4ski
12-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Sounds like the fan blades hitting something. The fan clutch only engages the fan at lower engine speeds, so that would explain why it seems to always be there at idle (video 1) and lightens up or vanishes when you rev. (video 2) That's what I'd start with, anyway. It isn't also possible that the fan or clutch mechanism got reinstalled in reverse, is it? I think it's pretty easy to put the fan on backwards (it'll still blow the same direction) but not sure about the clutch.

Murph_129
12-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Sounds like the fan blades hitting something. The fan clutch only engages the fan at lower engine speeds, so that would explain why it seems to always be there at idle (video 1) and lightens up or vanishes when you rev. (video 2) That's what I'd start with, anyway. It isn't also possible that the fan or clutch mechanism got reinstalled in reverse, is it? I think it's pretty easy to put the fan on backwards (it'll still blow the same direction) but not sure about the clutch.

I didn't have this issue before I started the work and I didn't touch this fan or the clutch, it all stayed on the whole time. Only thing replaced was the belt and the tensioner. I'm starting to lean more towards the bearing for the fan clutch, and maybe the new tensioner is putting more pressure on it than the old which is causing the issue. The noise is still there when I rev and I think the only reason it appears to quite is because of the engine noise drowning it out.

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Watch the accessory tensioner pulley. Does it chatter back and fourth? Many times that is signs of a bad tesnioner. I know you mentioned you replace it but you may have received a defective one.

Jason

Murph_129
12-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Watch the accessory tensioner pulley. Does it chatter back and fourth? Many times that is signs of a bad tesnioner. I know you mentioned you replace it but you may have received a defective one.

Jason

No movement there [:/]

A4Ski, sorry you were right. The noise does disappear as I rev it but as soon as I let off and the rpms beginning falling it starts up again.

A4ski
12-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Hmmm, that's a toughie...even if it can be isolated to the fan clutch/bearing, etc. I'm unsure of the least destructive way to test that. You'll have to wait till one of the Maestros here weighs in on this...

Murph_129
12-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Yea, I am back on campus now and don't really need to drive anywhere for the next week and a half or so. But I'd like to get it figured out in that time frame. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and give me a way to maybe narrow it down more.

Murph_129
12-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Well I just went and drove a bit and when I was sitting in the drive through idling, it started to quiet and then almost completely disappeared with the occasional click. I revved it a bit and then it started again then quieted some. Got my food and then proceeded to drive home and then it started up again and now still does it haha. So I think something is loose or not seated right. I went through and replaced the belt and tensioner. I think I am just going to go ahead and order a new clutch and bearing for the fan, take the front end off and replace them, then double check everything as I put it all back on and see what the results are. Either the bearing and clutch will fix it or me reseating and repositioningg everything will clear it up (hopefully!).

Still open to peoples suggestions and ideas though on what the problem could be, I won't do the replacement until the end of the week!

//SOLVED, see OP

gearhead9992
12-30-2014, 04:42 PM
what about ur timing belt tensioner my brothers went out on his 1.8 jetta sounded just like that

Murph_129
12-30-2014, 07:08 PM
what about ur timing belt tensioner my brothers went out on his 1.8 jetta sounded just like that

Was one of my first thoughts since the job was just recently done (not by me). But the noise was definitely coming from one of the pulleys as I said before. And also like I said, with the car running and chattering away, I stuck the WD-40 straw in behind the pulley and sprayed it in there. The thing shut right up for a minute or two. A new one is $60, but I can't get it until Friday due to New Years. So friday I will be pressing that bad boy in.

Thanks for the suggestion though