PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.8 Sluggish Acceleration - Help!

black_falcon
12-25-2014, 01:14 AM
I purchased a '99 2.8 Quattro 5 spd w/ 186k from the original owner - always dealer maintained, no expenses spared, oil changed twice yearly, have all records. Car is a cream puff. No engine lights, cats recently done, etc.

However, the engine (while smooth) doesn't have much pull and feels very sluggish compared to other 2.8 A4's I've driven.

I had a '95 Audi 90S (FWD 5spd) that would have literally run circles around this thing when I sold it with 170k. You rolled the power on in that car regardless of the revs, it started pulling hard. Especially when you hit that little notch in the accelerator pedal. It was great.

Sifting through the records - it appears that the last time he did the spark plugs may have been 58k (120k ago!) so I will obviously replace those, along with filters and wires. He was also older and probably drove the car very conservatively so an Italian tuneup may help unsettle things.

Would appreciate any other suggestions

Kaane
12-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I would do a compression check. It could be worn out. Also a leak down to make sure the valves are not leaking.

bhusted
12-25-2014, 11:36 PM
There is an intake manifold change over valve on the front of the intake just beneath the coil pack. The vacuum line that goes to it is extremely fragile and should probably inspected and probably replace all of the braided vacuum lines with silicone.

Euromike
12-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I had a cat begin to plug up on me and make the car seem to run just fine, but choke up during load.. i would be skeptical of the cat if the exhaust is original. Spark plugs, i doubt it, usually they will cause the motor to run like shit.