PDA

View Full Version : Best stage 1 tune reflash?

SN95Audi87
12-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

I've been researching and looking up the best stage 1 tune reflash and I didn't get many solid answers. Most of the threads that I've found popped up from a google search and they were long and drawn out haha. I actually read some horror stories of people sending their ECU's out and getting them back to short circuit, then blow up! Doesn't give me much faith at all coming from a guy who daily drives his 01 1.8T every day that needs that reliability to be like factory. Are reflashes better than sending out your ecu because I was reading that unitronic doesn't crack open the ecu, but reflashes through the obd-2 port. What are your experiences with stage 1 tunes and who is the most reliable? [wrench]

seanf86
12-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I have revo stage 1 software on my b5s4 and b6 1.8t, driveability like factory as far as I'm concerned.

clumsyme
12-22-2014, 01:44 PM
I have APR stage 1 on my b5. Nice because I can swap between stock and the tune with the cruise control buttons

But seriously man if you are unwilling to do the reading to find out what is best for you when modding your car, then sell your car and buy a camry.

Avant Nate
12-22-2014, 02:02 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/604484-AWM-4b0906018ch-CHIPPED-ecu-readiness-delete-ANTILAG!-250-shipped

fed0ra
12-22-2014, 02:29 PM
For a 2001 I highly recommend the Motoza Stage 1/1+ tunes. You flash it yourself and its both affordable and high quality. Sometimes Dave can be hard to reach but he always comes through in the end and is willing to help fit the tune to your setup which is really nice.

Cybersombosis
12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
I second a Motoza tune. For a custom Stage 1 tune for $349, it is much cheaper than an off the shelf APR flash with the ability to upgrade at any point. Buying a tune that is upgrade proof is what I should have done in the first place. I have gone through the APR flash with all the bells and whistles and being stuck with it if I wanted to upgrade. Yes you can change the tunes with the touch of your cruise control but in reality it was more of a novelty. I only really used it once or twice to lock out the ECU when I left the car parked for a long period of time. I was able to sell the ECU outright and find a stock ECU for $50 to upgrade to Motoza's Stage 1+. I am really enjoying the Stage 1+ from Dave. It definitely has more grunt in the lower RPM and can now break the tires loose on a damp day. I'll be able to upgrade again if/when my stock turbo goes and a FT is installed. Good luck.

Doug

Davdraco1
12-22-2014, 09:48 PM
How does this tune compare to one from kompresed?

Cybersombosis
12-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Don't know. Never had his tune. Does his have upgradeability built in? Is it a custom tune for your specific setup with data logging and dyno? Can you flash your ECU in the comfort of your own home after getting a revision by email? I didn't want to send my ECU out anywhere and have any down time. These are some of the reasons why I went with Dave at Motoza.

Doug

SN95Audi87
12-23-2014, 06:37 AM
I have APR stage 1 on my b5. Nice because I can swap between stock and the tune with the cruise control buttons

But seriously man if you are unwilling to do the reading to find out what is best for you when modding your car, then sell your car and buy a camry.

The reading is not the problem. Its just an overload of information and misinformation, and most of the threads a severely outdated like 4-5+ years ago! Technology changes and vendors come and go so its better to make a thread and hear about people experiences. For example, I've never never heard of motoza tune so the thread is worth it.

Anyone have experiences with failures of a reflash or it is just much safer then getting a chip soldered to the ecu? I will look into motoza and revo!

clumsyme
12-23-2014, 06:46 AM
The reading is not the problem. Its just an overload of information and misinformation, and most of the threads a severely outdated like 4-5+ years ago! Technology changes and vendors come and go so its better to make a thread and hear about people experiences. For example, I've never never heard of motoza tune so the thread is worth it.

Anyone have experiences with failures of a reflash or it is just much safer then getting a chip soldered to the ecu? I will look into motoza and revo!
And I totally get that. Just the way you worded it made it seem like you just didn't want to read them because of how long they were.

As for tune. I have the emcs Apr stage 1. It's a soldered in chip and I have never had an issue with it. other options is K0mpressor on here. I think he still does ecus

Mad Cow
12-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Flashing is so much safer and more reliable than soldering, even if worst comes to worst and it screws up the flash it's still fully recoverable. There's no way to break these ECUs short of messing with hardware. I'd go with Motoza too, never dealt with him but I've always heard good things.

SN95Audi87
12-23-2014, 06:52 AM
And I totally get that. Just the way you worded it made it seem like you just didn't want to read them because of how long they were.

As for tune. I have the emcs Apr stage 1. It's a soldered in chip and I have never had an issue with it. other options is K0mpressor on here. I think he still does ecus

Apologies for the wording. I read about 3-4 threads that were 3-5 pages long from vw/audi on tunes, and my head was spinning. I was reading more horror stories then actually people enjoying there car.

I'm glad you had great luck with APR, its seems that it is a mix batch of experiences. Some people had great luck with them others had blown up ECU's.

SN95Audi87
12-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Flashing is so much safer and more reliable than soldering, even if worst comes to worst and it screws up the flash it's still fully recoverable. There's no way to break these ECUs short of messing with hardware. I'd go with Motoza too, never dealt with him but I've always heard good things.

This!!! This is the answer I was hoping for! Can you explain why these ECU's are bulletproof, im learning as I go!

clumsyme
12-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Apologies for the wording. I read about 3-4 threads that were 3-5 pages long from vw/audi on tunes, and my head was spinning. I was reading more horror stories then actually people enjoying there car.

I'm glad you had great luck with APR, its seems that it is a mix batch of experiences. Some people had great luck with them others had blown up ECU's.

I actually didnt pick my tune. When I bought my car it already had the tune. But since I got the car back in Feb of this year it has covered half the country from FL to maryland, around the south, and FL to CA.

I know flashing is less of a risk of bricking your ECU, The one time I had an issue with the tune I called and talked to APR and they were willing to sit on the phone with me for an hour to trouble shoot it if it was bad they were going to over night me a new ecu for free if I sent my bad one back in to look at. So they do stand behind their product.

EDIT: there is also malone tuning, smaller company but I have heard good things

SN95Audi87
12-23-2014, 07:01 AM
I actually didnt pick my tune. When I bought my car it already had the tune. But since I got the car back in Feb of this year it has covered half the country from FL to maryland, around the south, and FL to CA.

I know flashing is less of a risk of bricking your ECU, The one time I had an issue with the tune I called and talked to APR and they were willing to sit on the phone with me for an hour to trouble shoot it if it was bad they were going to over night me a new ecu for free if I sent my bad one back in to look at. So they do stand behind their product.

Yeah they have great customer service. I was reading the reviews on their website! I like how you switch tunes with stalk on the column.

harrowb5
12-23-2014, 02:40 PM
If you want aggressive go Giac, if you want conservative go APR I never was a big fan of revo or unitronic and its not so much there software its there dealer locations none are close to where i am.

LA4
12-23-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm very happy with my GIAC Xplus tune. No issues with it, car is a completely different animal. Like night/day difference.

APR has the ability to go between stock/tune, which some people like. Personally though I have no idea why you would want this feature. I get better MPG with the chip than I did beforehand and the car is way more fun to drive.

Mad Cow
12-24-2014, 09:47 AM
This!!! This is the answer I was hoping for! Can you explain why these ECU's are bulletproof, im learning as I go!

Even if you completely screw up the flash and can't write anything anymore you can still recover it, though you will have to find someone who has the right hardware to do it. Chances are you won't screw anything up since the process is so simple and reliable, but just to be safe leave a trickle charger connected to the battery while flashing.

B5nDisciple
12-24-2014, 10:23 AM
For a 2001 I highly recommend the Motoza Stage 1/1+ tunes. You flash it yourself and its both affordable and high quality. Sometimes Dave can be hard to reach but he always comes through in the end and is willing to help fit the tune to your setup which is really nice.

+1 [up]

Here's a recent review thread too: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/624274-Motoza-tune-long-review?highlight=motoza+review

This was loading the initial stage 1 flash about 5 months ago when it was still on stock suspension [:D]
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/chazbrdr/20140819_101817.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/chazbrdr/media/20140819_101817.jpg.html)

adam044
12-26-2014, 08:20 PM
I DONT recommend SpeedTuning USA. I'm suppose to have close to 16-18 psi but only ever seen 13. Not very helpful either.