PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Collins BT Emissions

burgurboy
12-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Hey guys,

I'll be moving to the timberline area of ft. collins this summer. Just wondering what i'll have to do to get my car to pass (visual and sniffer). It's a florida car ('05 1.8t USP, sai deleted and no cat). Right now it's REVO stage 2 but, It I may have a t3/t4 setup by the time I get out.

Pretty sure revo can remove the SAI function but, still have it pass readiness (along with the 2nd o2 sensor).I picked up a complete used SAI system (strictly for looks) out of a junk yard today and I'll likely add an aftermarket (OEM style/non-high flow) cat just after my catless DP. This way I can unbolt/slide the cat in and out.

http://performance-curve.com/3goerlichcatalyticconverterobdii608227.aspx

What else would I need to do to get a BT car to pass? Has anyone ever tried adapting the factory TIP/intake box to a big turbo? I'm trying to get everything as factory-looking as I can for the test.

The troublemaker in question:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfGMjZB6KDc/VJh7qwAmQVI/AAAAAAAABe4/ukAXyimQzDg/s800/10688382_10204471528562136_5303988940071258948_o.j pg

vdubjetta02
12-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Don't worry about making it look factory. It just simply has to pass with no CEL and the readings while on the rolling Dyno

All my cars have had 115+ decibel exhausts, cold air intakes, some have had front mount intercoolers.

Your biggest problem will be your wheels as when on the Dyno they have to blocks that hold the wheels In place and can damage them if you are stretched at all

* welcome to the fort

burgurboy
12-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Interesting, I could have sworn I heard they were visual Nazis in fort collins. Good deal. Ill probably leave the SAI off unless I fail visual then.

As far as wheels, I assumed i'd pick up a set of winter wheels anyway (is that overkill?) So, I could run those for the inspection. I've got 235's on 9.5's so yeah, i'm stretched a little.

Thumper3
12-24-2014, 12:13 PM
As far as wheels, I assumed i'd pick up a set of winter wheels anyway (is that overkill?) So, I could run those for the inspection. I've got 235's on 9.5's so yeah, i'm stretched a little.

We get snow here man, and surface streets/neighborhoods don't really get plowed regularly or at all.........having a winter set up is not overkill by any stretch unless you are running AS on those wheels you got. LOL

And SAI is generally only put on CA, NY, and other hippie state cars (and it only is active at startup and has no real bearing on your emissions) so I wouldn't worry about that.

burgurboy
12-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Good to know! Yeah, I dont at all mind grabbing a winter setup. The car really isn't all that low (you can't be when you're fitting 9.5x19's and 235/35 tires under a b6). So, I dont think ground clearance will be a huge issue. Traction was my main concern.

Docwyte
12-24-2014, 08:12 PM
They'll look for the SAI and they'll check the readiness codes. Then it has to have a cat to pass on the rollers. Be careful with the "race" cats, many of them are too small and inefficient to pass. Make sure you buy a 49 state legal cat that comes with the paperwork and bring the paperwork with you to the smog station.

Alex1188
12-24-2014, 09:47 PM
And this is why i dont not register my car here in colorado... Emissions = PAIN IN THE ASS!!

Firefox250
12-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Hey a another Audi owner in FoCo. I'll see you around dude!

burgurboy
12-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Sweet ride Carl! If you dont mind me asking, how are you set up to pass emissions?

Firefox250
12-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Thank you.

I have my car registered in another county that doesn't require emission testing.

vdubjetta02
12-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Interesting, I could have sworn I heard they were visual Nazis in fort collins. Good deal. Ill probably leave the SAI off unless I fail visual then.

Must have a cat to pass emissions, but they don't actually look under the car..

I failed with my 034 HFC but have passed with my 42dd turbo back set ups and my custom dual 2.5 exhaust for my s4 passed as well

Thumper3
12-25-2014, 04:55 PM
They'll look for the SAI and they'll check the readiness codes.

Why would they look for the SAI? It's not installed on any other car sent to CO. SAI is is only installed as part of state specific emissions standards (unless Audi is different from other manufactures, including VW, who only install them where required). CA, NY, MA, and a few others require these additional controls mandated from flawed silly science.

They'll check codes and run the sniffer, no biggie.

I still want to know how El PAso county gets away with not having emissions requirements. Springs is way bigger than Ft Collins, why do us northern counties get screwed? LOL

usmcengineer
12-26-2014, 12:46 PM
They checked ('97 A6) my vehicle for SAI and failed it even though mine was never equipped with it. I had to call their tech center and have a more qualified tech look at the car to determine it was never equipped with SAI. I guess the information book they have is wrong or something. I would definitely make sure it's in there. Whether or not it is functional I'm not sure they can tell unless you are pulling a CEL for it.

Docwyte
12-26-2014, 12:59 PM
If the readiness codes for the sai aren't set they'll fail you. So it has to be in place and either working, or in place and codes in such a way that the readiness codes for it are set

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

burgurboy
12-26-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure revo can delete the function but still have the Readiness codes "delivered". Same with the secondary cat etc (my aftermarket cat will be down wind of the second 02).

So, things that need to be visible and pass readiness:
- SAI
- Cat
- ?

I've also heard of people getting failed in FoCo for an open element / cone filter.

Docwyte
12-26-2014, 01:34 PM
O2 sensors, proper vacuum lines etc. Haven't heard of any on getting hassled over an intake, I've never been had an issue

yokust
12-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Why would they look for the SAI? It's not installed on any other car sent to CO. SAI is is only installed as part of state specific emissions standards (unless Audi is different from other manufactures, including VW, who only install them where required). CA, NY, MA, and a few others require these additional controls mandated from flawed silly science.

They'll check codes and run the sniffer, no biggie.

I still want to know how El PAso county gets away with not having emissions requirements. Springs is way bigger than Ft Collins, why do us northern counties get screwed? LOL

SAI is not just a state emissions item. Its a federal emissions item. Not all years had it, and not all models, it was used on motors based on the tailpipe emissions each motor puts out, to help heat up the cats to operating temps. To clean them up faster.

Other manufactures choose to do emissions differently, VW and Audi choose to run SAi, other brands run belt driven smog pumps, others even still use EGR and not just on diesel but gas also. It was up to the manufacture to make the engine pass stupid USA emissions laws.

I personally will take the SAI over EGR or smog pumps, at least it only runs for 15-20secs after start up and not the entire time. And also does not affect the tune of the vehicle or function if removed.

NOW that being said, I can tell you which stations in the metro area will only look for a cat, check engine light and run it on the dyno.

I can also tell you which stations will pull out the BIG BLUE BOOk of dumb emissions equipment for each vehicle and make sure its ALL present, it doesnt have to function as long as there are no codes for it, but needs to be present.

yokust
12-26-2014, 06:57 PM
If the readiness codes for the sai aren't set they'll fail you. So it has to be in place and either working, or in place and codes in such a way that the readiness codes for it are set

In Colorado they dont look to see if the readiness code is set. All they look for is that there are no codes in the ECU.

Most of the time when tuners delete SAI, Cat, and O2 codes they jsut delete the codes, they dont remove them from the readiness function, so they will never pass.

IF you live in Washington or Oregon they DO check for readiness to be set and fail you even if you do not have any codes in the ECU.................super gay!

Docwyte
12-27-2014, 01:13 PM
They do check for readiness codes here...

burgurboy
12-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Does anyone have any experience with 3zero3 motorsports in Denver? They're a Revo dealer. I may give them a call tomorrow. I'm sure a tuner in the denver area would have experience with this.

I appreciate all the input. I'd love to be able to register the car in another area but, most scenarios that folks are proposing just won't work out. Looks like you guys are having mixed results with requirements... I may just have to go to the right place! I did see though that Larimer county requires you be tested there.

badshovel
01-03-2015, 05:47 PM
And this is why i dont not register my car here in colorado... Emissions = PAIN IN THE ASS!!
I live in colorado springs, el paso county and I don't have any kind of emission test at all.