PDA

View Full Version : Best choice for tuning, Unitronic's wideband conversion vs Maestro

A1 A2 German
12-22-2014, 10:14 AM
'97 AEB DBC AEB MAF Based 557-P Box

I'm currently running the Unitronic's 440cc file, it's perfect however wanted it bumped up a little, and think it'd sit perfect at the 630cc file. I sent an email to confirm, however I do not believe there is a 630cc file for the narrow band 557-P Box cars (I have never seen one and have had WTB ads running for over 2 years with no luck, they do make the 630cc file for the ~99-01 cars though).

I see the Unitronic Wide band conversion: http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-A4-B5-18L-Turbo-2000-150hp-hwwidebandconversionharness

- So this would allow me to use a ~98-99ish wide band DBC ecu (or what ever year)? If so, would the wide band ecu need to have corrections done to it as it's going on a narrow band car (as I don't have VVT, or this or that like later facelift cars do).

- Best off to scratch the whole wide band conversion and go Maestro narrow band files or, do both and do wide band files?

- X, Y & Z?

Mad Cow
12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
The wideband harness is basically just a wideband sensor plug and a few wires, it only applies if you have an ATW and is seriously overpriced for what it is. There's no DBC wideband ECU. If you're serious about tuning you're gonna have to convert to DBW. DBC Maestro is decent, but nowhere near as full-featured as DBW. And as you know, DBC tunes are few and far between, and most suck anyway.

GrapeBandit
12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
do you have a state inspection where you are? can you go stand alone?

fed0ra
12-22-2014, 11:21 AM
'97 AEB DBC AEB MAF Based 557-P Box

I'm currently running the Unitronic's 440cc file, it's perfect however wanted it bumped up a little, and think it'd sit perfect at the 630cc file. I sent an email to confirm, however I do not believe there is a 630cc file for the narrow band 557-P Box cars (I have never seen one and have had WTB ads running for over 2 years with no luck, they do make the 630cc file for the ~99-01 cars though).

I see the Unitronic Wide band conversion: http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Audi-A4-B5-18L-Turbo-2000-150hp-hwwidebandconversionharness

- So this would allow me to use a ~98-99ish wide band DBC ecu (or what ever year)? If so, would the wide band ecu need to have corrections done to it as it's going on a narrow band car (as I don't have VVT, or this or that like later facelift cars do).

- Best off to scratch the whole wide band conversion and go Maestro narrow band files or, do both and do wide band files?

- X, Y & Z?

As Mad Cow said the Unitronic harness is mainly marketed towards 2000 A4s with the ATW motor; this motor is just a few parts away from being a wideband AWM (2001) so the ECU is "plug and play". For an AEB equipped car a lot more work would need to be done. You would have to convert your car to wideband completely (ECU, pedals, throttle, O2, MAF, etc.). I definitely think that wideband is worth it for tuning, but I don't know if it is worth the effort for you.

A1 A2 German
12-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Alright, thanks guys.

We have OBD II emissions testing (readings off the rear 02) but no sniff.

I have so much on the plate and not gonna swap to dbw, so is Maestro even worth it if staying narrow band?

pbcrazy
12-22-2014, 01:21 PM
I have United Motorsports stage 3 AEB (630ccs) and I like it. No idea how it would run with the stock turbo though, and as mentioned it takes quite a bit to convert an AEB to wideband (not worth it IMO)

A1 A2 German
12-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that's the odd ball tune....630cc's for a Ko4? Wow.

viceprp
12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
If it was a big turbo car and you were serious, you could buy a cheap, shitty tune to get you running aND pass emissions witg. Then run a standalone that uses the stock harness w/ adapter plug. Done. Only need the shitty tune for 50 miles / year.