PDA

View Full Version : Transmission codes!

Murph_129
12-18-2014, 04:40 PM
So I may get yelled at for posting this here and possibly have it moved, but this sections gets alot more action than the Transmission and Engine section. Anyways.

I'm looking to buy a new transmission to eventually be rebuilt and put into my car. I have a B5 Quattro with the 1.8T, and I am seeing alot about these transmission codes and how they MUST be the same. Well I don't know what these codes denote and also where to find mine, other than crawling up under my car and looking at the housing.

Anyone have the source of a convenient table or write up explaining these codes and what they mean?

Thanks guys & gals

seanf86
12-18-2014, 04:47 PM
in the trunk in the spare tire well there is a build sticker, it will have your trans code, sometimes a copy of the sticker is stuck into a manual in the big pouch that came with the car new as well.

Murph_129
12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Awesome, thanks man. I'll take a look tomorrow and see what I can find. I am still curious as to what the codes mean, I'll keep looking!

walky_talky20
12-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Manual or auto trans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murph_129
12-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Its a Manual, the code is ENP and I found one near me that has the same code for $250. So I'll probably buy it and put it in immediately and eventually get my current rebuilt. Just a heads up for your future automotive needs. You should check out this place since your in the states.
http://www.lkqcorp.com/us/en/search-inventory.aspx

They have locations all across the country and they will move parts across country to your nearest location for free since they run stuff between locations quite frequently, they just throw yours on as well. Now this does take a bit sometimes.. but still.. They will even deliver it to your door.. for a fee of course..

Anyways.. any guidance on what the codes actually mean?

EDIT: Reason for the transmission can be found here. I have to move from Indiana to Missouri first week of January and Ill be gone for about 3 months. So I really need a reliable mode of transportation for that duration. So hopefully I can get this thing sorted out rather quickly. The more eyes I can get on that thread below the better, I didn't do a great job at describing it, but I really dont know how else to.. and I dont think a video will do the best conveying it either.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/629123-THUD!-After-acceleration

walky_talky20
12-19-2014, 09:53 AM
The manual trans codes basically don't matter. There will be multiple codes that are 1.8T quattro 5-speeds, any of them will work. The codes are useful for identifying a transmission that is not in a car (or is not original to the car). For example to determine whether it is 1.8T gearing or 2.8 gearing on a transmission that is otherwise identical from the outside.

ENP is a pretty late code, might be 2001 only. So they are probably more rare as compared to other codes that were used across several years. For example DWR is a more common code that would also work fine. But DJR is a 2.8 quattro box. So it will work, but the gears are longer.

Murph_129
12-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Ah so my code is actually DAJ - ENP..

//I think I'm understanding everything you are saying. But what is the reason behind multiple codes if they would all be fore a 1.8T Quattro 5-speed which all have the 1.8 gearing. Why not one code, is there minute differences in there?

Seerlah
12-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Things like center diff can be made different. But tranny itself is still swappable.

Murph_129
12-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Gotcha, so more things than just the gearing and housing are put under that code (more broad and represents more than just the transmission housing and gearing). But the housing is still the same used in all the 1.8T Quattro 5 speeds of that year range.