PDA

View Full Version : Toasted clutch?

biketsai
12-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Just recently my clutch has started slipping in 4th gear. First time it happened was a few weeks ago when it was 30 degrees out and I had just pulled onto a highway and did a pull to pass some people. Waited five minutes to try it again and it did not slip. Fast forward about two weeks to now and I find the clutch slipping everytime I do a 4th gear pull after 4k PRM even after I have warmed up the car. I tried it in third gear and it didn’t seem to slip. Ive also noticed that just recently on very cold weather days (30-40deg), my clutch pedal comes back very slow until the car warms up. I am really hoping it may be something other than the clutch?
I am running a FX400, 8 puck/full face with 11lb LWFW. Have had it for 5 years, 40k miles. I have never dumped my clutch/launched.

thedownwardsprl
12-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Time for new clutch possible throw out

redline380
12-18-2014, 07:17 AM
yup, sounds like a slipping clutch. a lot of people seem to have issues with clutch masters around that mileage

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-18-2014, 01:22 PM
That's pretty good mileage out of a aftermarket performance clutch. I might suggest our RA4 Stage 2 for your next round. Should have no problem holding the power you're making with OEM like reliability. We've had a member on here put over 180k miles on our RA4 Stage 2 Kit and runs a similar turbo set up.

Click HERE to order or for more information (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Drivetrain/Clutch/Clutch_Kit/Performance/ES5486/)

Jason

biketsai
01-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Random thought: For the past few months, I have had a leaky rear coolant flange (the hose that connects on the bottom into the flange). I have to refill the reservoir each week to give you an idea of how much it leaks. It leaks onto the transmission area. Could this possibly cause my clutch to slip as well?

fR3ZNO
01-13-2015, 06:52 AM
That definitely sounds possible. I think it would depend on how badly it is leaking.

redline380
01-13-2015, 07:06 AM
That definitely sounds possible. I think it would depend on how badly it is leaking.

I would say it depends more on where it is dripping, but a dry clutch plate is suppose to stay dry.

You could fix the leak and hope the clutch stops slipping, but it might be too late.

biketsai
01-13-2015, 07:08 AM
I would say it depends more on where it is dripping, but a dry clutch plate is suppose to stay dry.

You could fix the leak and hope the clutch stops slipping, but it might be too late.

What would cause it to be too late? Again, it is loosing an entire reservoir's worth of coolant in less than a week.

fR3ZNO
01-13-2015, 07:13 AM
What would cause it to be too late? Again, it is loosing an entire reservoir's worth of coolant in less than a week.

If it's losing that much coolant, then you should fix the leak regardless. If it your clutch stops slipping then it's a just an added bonus. [:D]

redline380
01-13-2015, 07:18 AM

Coolant gets sucked into the plate, same as oil would. Maybe coolant isn't as "suckable", I don't know. Only one way to find out.

M-Hood
01-13-2015, 08:53 AM

If it is getting into the bell housing it will soak the disk material causing it to slip all of the time or up till the moisture has completely burned off. It can also contaminate the material, which at that point the disk or clutch kit have to be replaced or rebuilt.