PDA

View Full Version : 6-CD Changer Not Responding

black_falcon
12-14-2014, 05:28 PM
New owner of a '99 2.8 Quattro manual.

Only problem I've encountered is the 6-CD changer will not respond. By not respond, I mean nothing happens when you attempt to eject the cd cartridge and nothing happens when you press the "mode" option on the radio. The car is a non-molested one owner. It looks like everything is plugged in as it left the factory but I didn't remove the trunk unit to verify.

Any ideas where to start? Blown fuse?

richardodn
12-15-2014, 04:51 AM
Actually I would start by ensuring the radio is correctly coded for a CD changer. Assuming you have the Concert radio, you can find a description of the code values in this article: http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html You'll need a copy of VAG-Com or VCDS-Lite to read the radio coding.

black_falcon
12-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Good idea. The radio did not detect an externally mounted CD changer and flashed the "No CDC" message.

So I would assume that my CDC is dead or not powering up. Any idea what's next?

richardodn
12-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I've only owned my Audi for a couple of weeks now so I'm kind of shooting in the dark. Is this CD changer supposed to cycle through the CDs when the carrier is inserted? If so, does yours? It does sound like it might either be dead or disconnected. Have you tried pulling out the head and see if any connections have been modified. Most of the after-market interface units take the place of the CD.

black_falcon
12-15-2014, 02:27 PM
It won't eject the carrier, nothing happens when you press the eject button.

I haven't pulled the head unit, but I just bought the car from the elderly original owner and am about 99% certain that nothing has been altered or modified on the car. Nothing in the complete dealer maintained service history indicates that either.

I have a local audio guy who specializes in these cars, I might just have him take a look. You can get used changers on eBay for like $40 worst case.