PDA

View Full Version : No water getting to the heater core

aysix
12-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Trying to figure out a problem with a built AWM 04 passat.
There is no water getting to either heater core hoses. Within 5 minutes the dash shows that it's fully warmed up.

This is what i did today to try and resolve this problem

-Changed head gasket and checked for defects/warpage
-Bought a new dorman rear plastic coolant flange with new oring to head
-Tested and changed thermostat
-Pulled water pump and the impeller is still perfect and does not spin on the shaft

When i remove the heater core hose with the car idling for a while i can hear the water boiling in the rear coolant flange but nothing makes it up. The only questionable thing i have is the oring between the metal hard pipe and the rear plastic flange. I threw an oring in there that looks like the correct size but doesn't leak water.

Dafuq doe?

Mad Cow
12-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Before you do anything else, swap that dorman garbage with an OEM flange, unless a coolant explosion a month down the road is your idea of fun. WHen you say you removed the heater core hoses, I'm assuming you meant at the heater core side right? What if you loop them together?

aysix
12-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Before you do anything else, swap that dorman garbage with an OEM flange, unless a coolant explosion a month down the road is your idea of fun. WHen you say you removed the heater core hoses, I'm assuming you meant at the heater core side right? What if you loop them together?

Yea at the heater core, i did loop them with no difference. There was no coolant going through with bypass either.

Mad Cow
12-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Well then I'm stumped. Maybe you have some kind of blockage on the heater core hose that doesn't go to the flange? Maybe someone manhandled the motor while it was out and bent a coolant line or something.

Drifter420
12-13-2014, 05:22 PM
If you don't have a leak then you prob have a air pocket. Take the coolant cap off and start the car rev it up jack the front of the car up some

aysix
12-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Put the water pump back in, filled her up and revved it. I now have heat...not sure what i was doing wrong before but i'm good.