PDA

View Full Version : 1.8t aeb splitter valve isssue

spencerxog
12-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Have a 98 a4 1.8t aeb and it came with some kind of stage Stage 1 software I know that because it said 1.8t aeb stage 1on the ecu and it also came with a 5 bar fpr.. I have a cone filter intake and small exhaust leak btw.. my problem is the Blow off is a flutter instead of the original swoosh noise.. does anyone know what causes this ? I was gonna try relocating it onto the throttle body hose saying I heard it's better the closer it is to the throttle body

pbcrazy
12-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Are you the same guy that said you were running rich with a mystery tune and low boost? An improperly set up bov or splitter can cause both of those issues. Check out your diverter valve/mystery valve and see if you can see what's stamped on it (710, 710n, or if it isn't plastic at all. Perhaps a picture would be easiest for you and for us to tell what kind it is)

ray4624
12-10-2014, 05:09 PM
the splitter will flutter.
I couldnt do anything with mine to make it not flutter.
A fluttering dv/bov is ok aslong as the flutter isnt compressor surge.
also, interesting that the tune called for a 5 bar fpr.

ray4624
12-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Are you the same guy that said you were running rich with a mystery tune and low boost? An improperly set up bov or splitter can cause both of those issues. Check out your diverter valve/mystery valve and see if you can see what's stamped on it (710, 710n, or if it isn't plastic at all. Perhaps a picture would be easiest for you and for us to tell what kind it is)

im assuming its a "forge splitter" valve

spencerxog
12-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Yeah I am that guy lol... and yes forge.. I'm gonna try updating my tune possibly or seeing what I have tomorrow when I go in and go head and get a different fpr an adjustable because yeah 5bar is too high for me.. and I'm gonna switch it to the throttle hose.. and I'm at 10psi so I should try replacing all vacuum lines and see if I max anymore saying that's really low

pbcrazy
12-10-2014, 05:15 PM
also, interesting that the tune called for a 5 bar fpr.

It didn't. He doesn't know what the tune is and is having problems with low boost. He seems to be new to the platform which is why I was questioning the valve, though it could very well be just a forge splitter

pbcrazy
12-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm gonna try updating my tune possibly or seeing what I have tomorrow when I go in and go head and get a different fpr an adjustable because yeah 5bar is too high for me.. and I'm gonna switch it to the throttle hose.. and I'm at 10psi so I should try replacing all vacuum lines and see if I max anymore saying that's really low

Don't get an adjustable unless you really know what you are doing and have a wideband gauge. Also, don't switch it to the throttle hose. I really wouldn't be surprised if you have a wrong spring (do splitters use springs?) or clicked too far one way causing low boost. I've never ran a splitter though, so this is mainly conjecture

GrapeBandit
12-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Yeah I am that guy lol... and yes forge.. I'm gonna try updating my tune possibly or seeing what I have tomorrow when I go in and go head and get a different fpr an adjustable because yeah 5bar is too high for me.. and I'm gonna switch it to the throttle hose.. and I'm at 10psi so I should try replacing all vacuum lines and see if I max anymore saying that's really low
what do you mean "yeah 5bar is too high for me"? lol does your wideband say you are running too rich?

why replace all your vacuum lines? have you even did a boost leak test yet?

Seerlah
12-10-2014, 05:27 PM
J31 GIAC file for the k04-15 used a 5bar fpr and stock injectors. Can't recall what MAF.

GrapeBandit
12-10-2014, 05:33 PM
J31 GIAC file for the k04-15 used a 5bar fpr and stock injectors. Can't recall what MAF.

I also have 5bar fpr on my giac k04 tune(aeb). dont think op has k04, but either he do3snt know or didnt mention it lol

RallyeBourne
12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Take it from people that have done it the hard way before, test before blindly replacing shit.

Do a boost leak test. Replacing every last vacuum hose won't do shit if it's just a loose clamp along the intake tract.

Check your afr before replacing your fpr. If your tune calls for a 5 bar and you drop down to 4bar, you'll have yourself a nice big paperweight.

I'm very well mechanically inclined (if I do say so myself), but a year ago I didn't know my dick from the icm on this thing. And remember, every platform is different. Each has its own gremlins and idiosyncrasies. Just listen to the people that have done it before. Because, most the time, they're the same people that have made the mistakes before.