PDA

View Full Version : check engine light and code?

f0reignfeatures
12-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2002 b6 a4 3.0 a couple of weeks ago and something strange happened the other day. As I was driving the other night the check engine light popped up. I headed to autozone after work the following afternoon to use an OBD scanner and see what code it was throwing, but on the way there it went away. I still plugged in the OBD scanner and checked and the code was p0342 (camshaft pos sensor circ low input).

Now I have searched the forums and from my understanding so far cars with the p0342 code sometimes wont start and/or have timing issues. When I purchased the car the timing belt service was one of the first things I checked for and the previous owner gave me paperwork indicating that the belt was indeed changed by Audi a little less than 50,000 miles ago. I've continued to drive the car almost 100 miles and the light hasn't come back. Also I haven't experienced any strange sounds/rough idling/or anything to suggest there is something wrong.

Should I be concerned at this point? I know the timing belt will need to be replaced again soon but for now I'm just keeping my eyes and ears open for any problems. Also, since there was no actual check engine light on when I plugged in the OBD scanner could it just be that the p0342 code is from the past and just wasn't erased? I hope you guys can provide some insight, your replies and input are appreciated!

underduc
01-08-2015, 02:50 PM
I would forget about it. From my experience, the check engine light often comes and goes. If it stays on, check more deeply, but I don't know how, except take off the valve covers and see if the cams are right, which I think would mean to do the belt if they weren't quite right.

f0reignfeatures
12-19-2015, 07:03 PM
It's been a while since I've been on here but I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who is experiencing the same issue. Do not just "forget about it" when your car throws a code, there's a reason for it, something is wrong. The camshaft position sensors on the passenger side of the engine were on their way out when I posted this last year and having the car fail to start and subsequently troubleshooting and fixing the problem could have been avoided by simply replacing them sooner. Replacement is actually not too difficult once you are used to working on the car. You do not need to worry about timing or taking off the valve covers, etc. The camshaft position sensors are only attached to the back of the engine (on the 3.0) by a single connector and allen bolt. Be sure to replace the sensors with OEM ones, more expensive I know, but I made the mistake of trying Hella sensors which didn't fully fix the issue, which made me think something else was wrong and ended up costing me more time and $$ [:/].

The DIY for the job is here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/253818-Camshaft-Position-Sensor-Help