PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing Valeo clutch kit

BaseDrifter
12-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm the midst of replacing the clutch on my brother's 2000 1.8T Quattro and the pressure plate doesn't want to sit flat against the flywheel. I'll give a quick rundown of where I'm at.

Removed the old pressure plate, friction disk, and flywheel. Pressed out the old pilot bearing, pressed in the new bearing. Scraped the surface of the crankshaft to make sure it was smooth and free of debris. Bolted up the new flywheel and torqued the new bolts to 45 ft lbs + 90 degrees in a star pattern. I lined up the friction disk and stuck the alignment tool into place.

The problem: With the friction disk in place and lined up I cannot get the pressure plate to sit down over the posts so the back of the bolt holes lay flat against the flywheel.

I took the friction disk out and the pressure plate slips over the posts and lays flat against the flywheel perfectly. The friction disk also lays flat against the pressure plate on the bench, but it does not seem to want to go together as a whole unit.

I have the friction disk oriented correctly with the "fat" side towards the pressure plate and small side towards the flywheel. There's writing on the disk that confirms that the side facing me is the "gearbox side."

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss for why the friction disk fits the flywheel, the pressure plate fits the flywheel, the friction disk fits the pressure plate, but the whole assembly won't go together. Something is clearly stopping the pressure plate from sitting down on the flywheel. [:|]

Wrath And Tears
12-05-2014, 06:05 PM
So I remember having this issue, or one like it, but I cant recall exactly how I fixed it. I believe that the issue I had was with the dowels on the flywheel not correctly fitting through holes on the pressure plate unless I had it rotated to the "correct" way. If you are still having issues with it this weekend and the car is in the bay I could swing by and take a look. I have a feeling my memory would be triggered by looking at it all.

BaseDrifter
12-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks Wrath, if I don't get it sorted in the next day or two I'll let you know. Car is up on jack stands in my garage.

I've tried rotating the pressure plate around to different positions and none of them have allowed it to sit flat. Also tried the friction disk in different rotations. So again, with no friction disk in place, the pressure plate has no problem sitting down flush against the flywheel fully seated on the pins (in all three rotation positions that still line up the pins and bolt holes.)

Wrath And Tears
12-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I really really want to say that's just how it sits, but the fact it goes fully down without the friction material in there has me worried.

I just thought of something, probably silly but you never know. Have you tried to see if the friction material will move around freely when the pressure plate is as far down as it wants to go? I believe I just pulled the alignment dowel out of the flywheel while keeping it in the friction material and spinning it. If it spins freely... then my memory may indeed be correct and it just sits like that.

Side Note: Alldata had me torque the flywheel down in a star pattern (Im sure this has no affect on anything, just throwing it out there, this was also the first and only clutch I've done so far)

Seerlah
12-05-2014, 06:40 PM
When you start to torque the pressure plate down the forks where the throw out bearing sit will move inwards. That is what is preventing them from sitting flat. When you start to torque down the pressure plate, you'll understand and it will bolt down fine. It's the pressure plate causing this till torqued down. Just start torquing and they will pull together.

Wrath And Tears
12-05-2014, 06:44 PM
That makes a lot of sense, I love learning how things work. Thanks Seerlah. Although now I don't get to meet up with Base [=(]

Seerlah
12-05-2014, 06:59 PM
It's the tension of the design of the pressure plate. That is how the clutch engages and disengages the friction disc. When you torque down the pp on install, you use the alignment tool to basically mimic a fully engaged clutch (alignment was a given). The clutch alignment tool is basically taking the place of the input shaft spline of the transmission till put back in place and why that alignment tool is absolutely necessary. Your TO bearing sits on those forks of the pp once tranny is back in. When you press your clutch pedal, your clutch slave pushes that assembly your TO bearing sits on, with the TO bearing pushing on those forks of the pp. That is what makes the friction disc disengage from your flywheel and pressure plate while driving.

BaseDrifter
12-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks Mitch, that makes sense as I'm tightening the pressure plate/clutch down into its clamped position, not the unclamped position. I was under the impression that the pressure plate should sit flat against the flywheel before tightening the bolts, but it seems I was wrong! I'll go around and tighten the pressure plate bolts a little bit at a time and suck that plate down.

Wrath, when I said I torqued the flywheel bolts in a circular pattern I meant star pattern. My mistake. You'll have to join us at one of the norcal meets/drives, I missed the most recent JHM one but I try to go to most of them.

Wrath And Tears
12-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Im glad you just got your shapes mixed up! I fully plan on going to the next local meet up if I am able as well as perhaps making an introduction/build thread finally.

BaseDrifter
12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
You should! Would be great to have you out. The more the merrier.

Clutch is installed. Tightened down the PP bolts and it seated into place. Thanks again Mitch.

Tomorrow I'll can get the transmission back up into place and start reconnecting everything.

Seerlah
12-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Put a very light coat of grease on slave end before placing back in. Also, it may be a real PITA putting tranny back in. Easier taking out than putting back in. I personally lined it up and pulled them together and with 2 longer bolts (think m16x1.75?) on the top two corners of the short block. You can grab them from the metric bolt sections of lowes or home depot for convenience sake. You slowly pull them together with the bolts, going equally side to side. If there is any extra torque necessary to make them pull in easy...stop.