PDA

View Full Version : No laptop, more efficient way to do Vagcom or x,y,x?

A1 A2 German
12-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Well, I made it a decade with no Vagcom, sounds odd but I've only really needed just a $40 hand held generic scanner to ever see if there was a code or not. Now that I'm going to be playing with throttle bodies and such I need to to TBA's and other stuff.

I got a little excited when I saw that APR blue tooth Vagcom port modual: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2710847/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAhvujBRDUpomG5cq_mI0BEiQA7TYq-pWX_P-BFElWzoamQjX54jtnvRz-vIAff9JoSfhAxJAaAgJV8P8HAQ , however it does NOT do Vagcom functions and not supportive of our platform. It's a neat bluetooth unit that plugs right into the port, no wires, and beams all the info (including logs and live info) directly to a ~laptop/Ipad/Iphone, etc. I guess it's for the better as not to be cheap, but really don't want to buy a bunch more stuff that's really gonna just collects dust. I guess all I would need is VCDS Lite, and a cheap Craigslist laptop (hell, I really don't even want a laptop even if I got it for free as it's one more thing just sitting around). But if I have to get more stuff to do the job then that's what it takes, if there was a reasonable bluetooth system I guess I could beam it to my phone, etc (no laptop). If there is another reasonable priced bluetooth unit that would do live data and Vagcom functions that would be kinda kol with no cables I might consider it, however the VCDS-Mobile unit is $400: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html

So, just a laptop and VCDS Lite then? If a laptop, what software platform laptop should I look for that's well suited for Vagcom? Or, is there say, a generic bluetooth vagcom signal transferer do-dad I could plug in into the port and leave be that's bluetooth, and bluetooth all info to say a little tablet (tablet that has VCDS downloaded on it)?

I currently have some of those generic Vagcom serial cables brand new sitting in a bag (non-Ross Tech) with a cd/dvd.

However this maybe preference, what if any is better, buy a cheap laptop or get a $60 tablet thingy? Options to go wireless? Thanks

fed0ra
12-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Not sure you can do a throttle body adaptation with the Lite version, I think you need the full version.

Basically, I think your only option is a cheapo laptop (anything that runs windows should be able to handle it) and a legit Ross-Tech cable/license.

For something wireless (but without TBAs) you should look into a cheapo bluetooth OBDII dongle and the Torque app for Android (if you have an android phone/tablet). Good enough to read codes, do some basic logging, etc.

EDIT: After reading through this again, I think you could get away with the cheapo bluetooth OBDII dongle (you can buy them on Amazon for like $20) and a paid copy of VCDS lite. I assume that would work, but I don't think that I've ever heard of anyone using a bluetooth dongle with VCDS, just the cheapo cables.

EDIT2: This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417640240&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+obd2. It worked well for a while but ended up failing randomly about a month ago. I don't think I dropped it/did anything to break it, but it just stopped working. Take that for what you will.

Mad Cow
12-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Don't bother with that bluetooth crap, it's just a generic ELM327 with a cheap bluetooth radio that doesn't work half the time. I don't know how you've survived so long without vcds, I can't imagine fixing anything without it. Get a cheap laptop and VCDS lite to start off with, if you don't plan on using it with anything newer than a B6 then the licensed version of vcds lite will work just fine.

That HEX-NET adapter looks really cool, but for that price it doesn't really make sense unless you really seriously want it to be wireless.

GrapeBandit
12-03-2014, 05:19 PM
buy a cheap used laptop and use it exclusively for vagcom. you can find cheap used ones in working condition for $100. the flea market near me has tons. hell, search your local CL and ebay

A1 A2 German
12-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I don't know how you've survived so long without vcds, I can't imagine fixing anything without it.

Lol, maybe not being around salt, rain or moisture? Maybe the lack of moisture makes things more reliable. I can't believe how everyone needs it, as I'm so confused, I really don't even know what every one needs it so badly for.

Alright guys, thanks. In addition, I really don't know much about laptops, maybe something under $80 or so. If you guys have a second or are bored maybe you could take a quite glance at my local Craigslist and pic one out:

1) Phoenix Craigslist: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/ (Max Price $80, Keyword Laptop or what ever search word/model you want etc)

Or

2) Phoenix Craigslist quick link with the word : Laptop and price at $80: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sso?sort=rel&query=laptop+&srchType=T&maxAsk=80

redline380
12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
For a laptop, this is what you want- http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/4736994924.html

GrapeBandit
12-03-2014, 07:15 PM
I dont have a vag either, and ive owned b5's since 2000. its not necessary, but im sure it has some nice features in addition to just a code scanner

redline380
12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I've never had vag com, but when I really started to mod, I just got maestro and is does a lot of stuff. But vag com would be a good buy if you are brand loyal and want to get more Audis

chris164935
12-03-2014, 07:40 PM
I use a Windows-based tablet. It's a little bit more expensive ( make sure you get one with the full version of Windows 8), but it's much more portable than a laptop, and, in a lot of cases it is faster too. I don't have to wait for the tablet to boot up or come out of hibernation. It's just as fast as coming out of standby on a smart phone.

Mad Cow
12-04-2014, 06:07 AM
Lol, maybe not being around salt, rain or moisture? Maybe the lack of moisture makes things more reliable. I can't believe how everyone needs it, as I'm so confused, I really don't even know what every one needs it so badly for.

I can't imagine diagnosing electric issues without it, even for the ECU it can read a whole bunch of VAG specific codes. Before I got it I didn't know what the big deal was either, but once I learned how to use it I can't go back.

That laptop that redline posted is perfect, I'm stuck with an old dell with a floppy screen and a battery that lasts all of 5 minutes and even then I get by.

walky_talky20
12-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Yeah. That T60 is a good deal. You really want a "business grade" laptop when you're doing actual work. Consumer grade garbage tends to fall apart quick (looking at you, Inspiron).

redline380
12-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Yeah. That T60 is a good deal. You really want a "business grade" laptop when you're doing actual work. Consumer grade garbage tends to fall apart quick (looking at you, Inspiron).

I have an L430 Thinkpad with SSD and love it. Never going to get anything else.

I would seriously get that t60. Its a workhorse, the DT466 of computers. (anyone know the engine?) If the battery is shot, and it might be, get a 9 cell on ebay. You will thank me.

walky_talky20
12-04-2014, 07:35 AM
The T60 is the Toyota Hilux of computers.

And SSD's make everything fast. Except maybe your car. lol

redline380
12-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Well, I use my SSD to run maestro, and maestro makes my car fast. Ergo, SSD makes my car fast [:D]

walky_talky20
12-04-2014, 07:46 AM
^Touché

Mad Cow
12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
The T60 is the Toyota Hilux of computers.

Gotta get me one of those eventually. My shop laptop is a business grade dell so it's really solid but it's nearly a decade old and doesn't work when it's cold. How's the screen on those? I can't use mine in direct sunlight, which is kinda really annoying.

MetalMan
12-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Consumer grade garbage tends to fall apart quick (looking at you, Inspiron).

Don't let my 7.5-year-old Inspiron 1520 hear you! It's been my primary computer that long, though only performed real laptop duty for about 4 years during college (and occasional VCDS / Motoza tuning stuff since then). I upgraded its memory to 4 GB maybe 5 years ago, replaced battery a year ago, and upgraded its HDD to SSD several months ago.

SSD definitely makes a big difference, especially for the price. But when you're gonna spend $80+ on one, that's the price A1 A2 is looking to spend on the entire laptop.

Also A1 A2, FWIW I keep a 10" netbook under my driver's seat and VCDS KII-USB cable in the glove compartment. Been that way for years. Like Mad Cow said, once you get VCDS you'll wonder how you could ever do VAG without it... good for checking/clearing Air Bag faults, ABS faults, comfort module coding, aiming factory xenon headlights (not applicable to you though), coding instrument clusters, coding ECUs, etc.

walky_talky20
12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
The Dell ATG D630 is an older "ruggedized" model that had a daylight readable display. Here's a pic:

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/images/dell_atg_screen_close-up_small.jpg

Pretty cheap, but they do have a common failure mode of the screen: "bubbles". Not sure if it's just an annoyance, or makes it unusable quickly. But something to look into:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-ATG-D630-Semi-Rugged-Laptop-2-00GHz-C2D-2GB-RAM-80GB-HD-Wireless-/131368500744?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item1e962c3e08

A1 A2 German
12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys.

Contacted them that second Redline posted the T60 link, no response back so far.

redline380
12-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys.

Contacted them that second Redline posted the T60 link, no response back so far.

Used T60's like that will be all over craigslist for the same price.

A1 A2 German
12-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Alright, which of these two:

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/291325042310?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/321617863142?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

redline380
12-17-2014, 02:34 PM
between those, the second one. but whats wrong with craigslist?

A1 A2 German
12-17-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks.

Upon getting that Craigslist link from you I contacted them that very second to drive and grab it, would of been there and back and done in 10 minutes.....it was sold. The only other one on CL is like $130 or so at this time.

chris164935
12-17-2014, 11:51 PM
I'd say go with the second laptop you posted from eBay. If you get it for ~$45, buy a cheap 40-60 GB SSD (these are like $50) and just mirror the laptop's current hard drive to the SSD. Unless you plan on doing all kinds of stuff like video editing, gaming, etc., the 40-60 GB SSD should be more than enough storage for doing VCDS/word processing/internet browsing. And it will provide you with a huge boost in performance on the laptop.

A1 A2 German
12-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Well, I'm the owner of the first one, $82 shipped.

I got caught up at work and couldn't get to my phone for the 2nd one to increase the bid, lost it by a dollar....and the kicker is it went for a bit cheaper. Thanks guys! Now I can install my 70mm tb I've had for 2 years :).

A1 A2 German
02-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Well, almost 2 months to the day later, the laptop was a dude and the case finally was resolved so I have nothing.

So:

1) Maybe something comparable again (this laptop did not have a mini-disk dvd which I do need) fir $70 shipped

or

2) Would $150 get me something I could play some basic games on or better video for long flights/travel/car rides?

Really, I don't even want the dam thing even if free as just more clutter, but figured if it could keep me occupied during lay overs and such maybe pay a little extra. Either or. So if you're bored, lmk what laptop I should snag and I'll grab it.

Laptop link for under $200 :
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Netbooks-/175672/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=1&_nkw=laptops&_dcat=177&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=200&_stpos

redline380
02-18-2015, 09:38 AM
craigslist man! This is ALL you need

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/4887120103.html

redline380
02-18-2015, 09:40 AM
That one even comes with two graphics cards, so you can play games. Everything else would work just fine and is essentially the same computer I bought for school, although I run an ssd. Double the ram in it right away and you will be golden

nynoah
02-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Honestly laptops are tools. As a car guy... you know what tools are worth. Think of it as a tool investment. I also recommend the Lenovo T series laptops. They are indestructible.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9619868&CatId=4935

LA4
02-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Not to thread hijack, but what do you guys think of this for a cheap VAG-COM laptop?

http://reading.craigslist.org/sys/4881163424.html

I've got a genuine license for Windows XP so I could throw that on no problem.

nynoah
02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Dont touch anything with Windows XP. It is no longer supported. Only get windows 7.

Mad Cow
02-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Dont touch anything with Windows XP. It is no longer supported. Only get windows 7.

Does it really matter? If you're using it as a dedicated shop laptop there's a next to zero chance that you download some malware unwittingly, and even if you do there really isn't anything important stored on it anyway. It's not like you're using it in a corporate setting with access to a network that has sensitive data on it. I'm still using XP on my shop laptop, mostly out of convenience because it's too slow for 7. Nothing wrong with that.

nynoah
02-18-2015, 10:53 AM
I would not waste any money on a laptop which is only running xp or is so low in specs that it can not run windows 7. Its just a long term waste of money.

LA4
02-18-2015, 11:02 AM

It's only going to be used for VAG COM, not using it for my banking purposes. This thing is never going to be used for web browsing. I'm a Comp Sci major, I don't need a lecture in safety.....

What I was hoping for is for people's experiences with the brand the long-time durability with the hardware, as I've never owned a Lenovo.

LA4
02-18-2015, 11:06 AM
I would not waste any money on a laptop which is only running xp or is so low in specs that it can not run windows 7. Its just a long term waste of money.

A $40 laptop to be used only for VAG COM is a long term waste of money?

Wouldn't it be a bigger long term waste to spend $100 on a Win7 laptop that is effectively going to serve the same purpose (i.e.- sitting in my garage for 99% of the time.)

I'm open to suggestions but I just don't understand why an offline computer that I'm using to run VAG COM needs to be up-to-date. This software doesn't take a lot of system resources does it?

Mad Cow
02-18-2015, 11:36 AM
A $40 laptop to be used only for VAG COM is a long term waste of money?

Wouldn't it be a bigger long term waste to spend $100 on a Win7 laptop that is effectively going to serve the same purpose (i.e.- sitting in my garage for 99% of the time.)

I'm open to suggestions but I just don't understand why an offline computer that I'm using to run VAG COM needs to be up-to-date. This software doesn't take a lot of system resources does it?

Because some people can't understand that you don't always need the latest and greatest for absolutely everything. Any computer made within the last 15 years will have no issues running any version of vcds on XP. That thinkpad you posted is better specced than my shop laptop and I have zero issues with mine, it runs VCDS, ETKA, ELSA and a browser, that's all I'll ever need out of it. Only annoyance is the tiny hard drive, but these days they're basically free anyway. I have noticed that older laptops don't like the cold at all though, I have to bring mine inside when it drops below zero or else it runs super slow until I restart it after it warms up.

Avant Nate
02-18-2015, 11:46 AM
for just running VCDS, XP would work fine.

can't comment on quality
http://www.staples.com/ASUS-X205TA-HATM0103-Notebook-PC/product_1530327#revs_content

redline380
02-18-2015, 12:08 PM
craigslist man! This is ALL you need

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/sys/4887120103.html

Seriously, this is exactly what you want. Down to a tee. It fits every desire you have.

nynoah
02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
I agree with Redline

A1 A2 German
02-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Seriously, this is exactly what you want. Down to a tee. It fits every desire you have.

Contacted him [:D], he still has it and arranged a time already if I can make it there.

redline380
02-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Contacted him [:D], he still has it and arranged a time already if I can make it there.

I can promise you that you'll like it a lot more than a shitty little net book or something. You kinda got me thinking to get another Lenovo for car suff

chris164935
02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEE7B1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$40 more and it's brand new and can do everything that laptop can do. There's not really any games you'll be able to play on that laptop that you won't be able to play on this tablet. I have used a laptop for VAG-Com and this tablet. From my experience, the tablet will be much better. The tablet is going to be lighter, easier to carry, easier to access (as in boot up or come out of hibernation), it has support for wireless networks (some models of the Lenovo do not have support for wireless, guy doesn't mention it either), touchscreen (which I like WAY more than some shitty touchpad), it's brand new and newer technology, has a full version of a supported version of Windows (not just in terms of safety features, who knows what programs will no longer become supported or will work in a Windows XP environment, and Windows 7/8.1 have compatibility mode for programs that are not compatible with newer Windows versions). And any program or driver you could want to install can be downloaded from the internet at this point. I run VAG-Com, the program that lets me setup my digital dash display, the tuning software for my Vi-PEC stand-alone engine management, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, etc.

To elaborate more on Windows XP and safety features... I use my Windows 8.1 tablet to do VAG-Com, etc. But, since I have it with me in the garage, I use to it look up diagrams on the internet, check manuals that I have saved to it, use it too look up issues with my car that maybe other people have had. I use it to enter information for blueprinting my motor. Why the fuck would I want a second computer/device to do that? If you're looking for a computer/device for your garage, the internet is as much of a valuable tool as VAG-Com. Do not even consider any device with Windows XP or a device that cannot be upgrade to Windows 7 or higher (which, at the price of $79-$99 for the upgrade, you might as well spend that money on a better computer/device).

redline380
02-18-2015, 01:13 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEE7B1I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let's see, a business grade computer with far more capabilities, or an enlarged cell phone for $40 more? I'd go with the computer.

chris164935
02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
What can it do that the tablet cannot?

For reference, I have a laptop 10x better than that ThinkPad and I would use the tablet over the laptop for the purposes discussed here every time.

redline380
02-18-2015, 01:25 PM
What can it do that the tablet cannot?

Press an actual keyboard, have a larger screen, ya know, normal computer stuff.

He isn't looking for just a vag com puter though, he wants more than just that. I mean to each his own, but not a chance in hell I would ever buy a tablet. I think they are complete garbage.

chris164935
02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
I never considered a tablet myself until I heard about ones with full Windows on them. Now, I'll never give mine up. Lol. If there was really something that he needed a keyboard for, they make a special keyboard for the tablet I posted. With the $5 adapter, you could also use any USB keyboard.
$40 more is not too much for something that has a warranty and is future proof for at least a year or two (longer if he's only interested in doing basic computing like VAG-COM, internet browsing, etc). I paid about $100 more than the current price of that tablet and I don't regret it at all.

Thumper3
02-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Press an actual keyboard, have a larger screen, ya know, normal computer stuff.

He isn't looking for just a vag com puter though, he wants more than just that. I mean to each his own, but not a chance in hell I would ever buy a tablet. I think they are complete garbage.

They have their uses and places.............replacing laptop is NOT one of them.

redline380
02-18-2015, 01:39 PM
They have their uses and places.............replacing laptop is NOT one of them.

This is how I feel. I need to do actual computer things often, so what is the point of buying a tablet since a computer can do everything a tablet can, but not vice versa?

chris164935
02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Can you give any examples of what the ThinkPad would be able to do that you couldn't do with the tablet, besides touch a keyboard (which you can hook one up to if you really needed to).
For me, I have a desktop to do all my "keyboard" things. I have a laptop too for when I was in school. But, if this guy is looking for a laptop to do all of those things as well (and not just as a garage tool), the $150 Lenovo won't get him what he wants. The Intel Core 2 Duo processors are over 6 years old! In terms of computer technology, that is ancient.

Mad Cow
02-18-2015, 02:23 PM
I can definitely see the use of a surface tablet in a shop setting. It's basically a full Windows PC but in a much smaller form factor and a touchscreen. Much more comfortable to bring it into a car and actually use it, I hate how I either have to move my seat all the way back to hold it on my lap, or put it on another seat and have to look over awkwardly all the time. IMO I'd either go with a really cheap old laptop or a surface tablet, a $150 used laptop is pointless because it'll be basically the same thing as a $50 used laptop. If you can get a surface for just over $200 that's awesome, I had no idea they were so cheap now. When my old shitty laptop dies I'm getting something like a surface for sure.

walky_talky20
02-18-2015, 03:17 PM
I think the exact answer to this discussion of Laptop vs Tablet vs Lenovo Business Grade equipment is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqB1ZgBoMA0

Cash Money. Dollar Bills. Airplanes. Women. Win.

Also, did you notice a distinct lack of something in the video? Yep. That's Right. Poor People. lol

redline380
02-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Walky, you should get into mediation man. Well done. Now only if OP could find a used one for $150!

LINDW4LL
02-18-2015, 03:52 PM
I just skimmed this thread, but did not see the TW700 mentioned. It's been discussed all over the forums recently.

It's a tablet with a full size USB port that runs the complete version of Windows 8. On sale for $59 at MicroCenter. http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

redline380
02-18-2015, 03:56 PM
I just skimmed this thread, but did not see the TW700 mentioned. It's been discussed all over the forums recently.

It's a tablet with a full size USB port that runs the complete version of Windows 8. On sale for $59 at MicroCenter. http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/138/244/funny-barack-michelle-obama-face.jpg

LINDW4LL
02-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Better yet, it apparently also includes an Office 365 subscription that you can sell.

Some guy in another thread sold his for $50 on eBay...

A1 A2 German
02-18-2015, 04:28 PM
And..........$140 later:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/Laptop_zpsa1d00509.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/Laptop_zpsa1d00509.jpg.html)

redline380
02-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Nice buy[up]

How do you like it so far?

Mad Cow
02-18-2015, 05:18 PM

Damn, load Win10 on that when it comes out and you're set. The 1gb of RAM will be a problem though.

LA4
02-18-2015, 07:16 PM
I can definitely see the use of a surface tablet in a shop setting. It's basically a full Windows PC but in a much smaller form factor and a touchscreen. Much more comfortable to bring it into a car and actually use it, I hate how I either have to move my seat all the way back to hold it on my lap, or put it on another seat and have to look over awkwardly all the time. IMO I'd either go with a really cheap old laptop or a surface tablet, a $150 used laptop is pointless because it'll be basically the same thing as a $50 used laptop. If you can get a surface for just over $200 that's awesome, I had no idea they were so cheap now. When my old shitty laptop dies I'm getting something like a surface for sure.

This is exactly how I feel. Assuming you are only using it for shop purposes, why not buy the cheapest thing available?

That being said, I could definitely see a tablet being nice for in the car though. Much less bulky.

LINDW4LL
02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Damn, load Win10 on that when it comes out and you're set. The 1gb of RAM will be a problem though.
It's fine for VCDS.

They have a 2GB version as well for $99 though. It's called the TW801.

chris164935
02-18-2015, 09:18 PM
And..........$140 later:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/Laptop_zpsa1d00509.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/Laptop_zpsa1d00509.jpg.html)
Looks pretty clean. How's it run? If the seller didn't provide one, I'd make sure to make a back-up disc for repairing or reinstalling the OS.

Honestly, my dream shop setup would be an All-in-One or a simple desktop on a cart with wireless capabilities (not just networking but for things like USB, if you can find a decent wireless USB hub). I could roll the computer over near the car and with my VAG-Com cable plugged into some wireless USB device that transmits data to the computer on the cart. BMW uses something similar to this. If Ross-Tech made an infrared or Bluetooth OBD2 dongle, I would buy it right now.

BaseDrifter
02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Check out the Ross-Tech Hex-Net.

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/faq_6.html

They're also developing a mobile version of VCDS.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html

A1 A2 German
02-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Nice buy[up]

How do you like it so far?

It loaded right up, brand new expanded (large) battery, brand new charger, and he loaded it with a bunch of programs, has internal WIFI so no external module needed and it's quick. But more excited about getting to use this, $26 shipped, and fully works and 100% full version.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/RossTechCable_zps4f31a923.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/RossTechCable_zps4f31a923.jpg.html)

walky_talky20
02-19-2015, 07:45 PM
^Links or it didn't happen. lol.

redline380
02-19-2015, 07:50 PM
^Links or it didn't happen. lol.

Second. I was going to ask but forgot. It would be awesome to get vagcom for that!

Avant Nate
02-19-2015, 10:04 PM
It loaded right up, brand new expanded (large) battery, brand new charger, and he loaded it with a bunch of programs, has internal WIFI so no external module needed and it's quick. But more excited about getting to use this, $26 shipped, and fully works and 100% full version.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/RossTechCable_zps4f31a923.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/RossTechCable_zps4f31a923.jpg.html)
That's some straight up bs. Guy doesn't have vag-com for 10 years, and stumbles on to a $26 fully licensed cable[:D]

BaseDrifter
02-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Took him that long to find the deal. ;)

Mad Cow
02-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Seriously what the hell? That's cheaper than most knockoffs, I'm so jelly.

A1 A2 German
02-20-2015, 08:24 AM
That's some straight up bs. Guy doesn't have vag-com for 10 years, and stumbles on to a $26 fully licensed cable[:D]

Whoa whoa there...I believe saying "licensed" would be a stretch.

$25 shipped

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32222869911.html

Mad Cow
02-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Whoa whoa there...I believe saying "licensed" would be a stretch.

$25 shipped

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32222869911.html

Oh so it is a knockoff, that white sticker should've given it away but the HEX-CAN threw me off. Be careful with that, I'd recommend only ever using it inside a VM with the network adapter disabled. I've bricked 3 of those already, 2 of them multiple times, it's not fun. I had a good run for about half a year, then I accidentally connected it outside of my VM once and it died. Such a PITA to repair it too.

There was actually a thread here not long ago where someone bought the same cable as you, bricked it, and tried to pass it off as if it was a legitimate cable when I mentioned that real rosstech cables don't have a sticker that says VAG12.12.

Avant Nate
02-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Factory cable:
http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HUC.jpg

See the confusion?

A1 A2 German
02-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Oh so it is a knockoff, that white sticker should've given it away but the HEX-CAN threw me off. Be careful with that, I'd recommend only ever using it inside a VM with the network adapter disabled. I've bricked 3 of those already, 2 of them multiple times, it's not fun. I had a good run for about half a year, then I accidentally connected it outside of my VM once and it died. Such a PITA to repair it too.

There was actually a thread here not long ago where someone bought the same cable as you, bricked it, and tried to pass it off as if it was a legitimate cable when I mentioned that real rosstech cables don't have a sticker that says VAG12.12.

VM? Network adapter disabled? Could you explain? Thanks

Mad Cow
02-20-2015, 03:46 PM
VM? Network adapter disabled? Could you explain? Thanks

If you try to use that cable on a PC that's had an internet connection at any point after installing VCDS your cable will get fried eventually, might happen in a day, might happen in a month, but it will happen. There are workarounds that kinda sorta work, but the only sure way to prevent it is to either completely disable your laptop's network cards (wifi and ethernet if you use it) and never, ever enable them, or to install another copy of windows inside a VM (virtual machine) and disable the network adapter inside the VM. I'm terrible at explaining stuff, but the first few paragraphs of this link (http://www.howtogeek.com/196060/beginner-geek-how-to-create-and-use-virtual-machines/) do a pretty good job of explaining what a VM is.

If you want I can share the VM I use for VCDS, it's only 1gb and to run it you'll just have to download VMware player and open it. You'll have to install VCDS (only the copy you got with the cable, a newer version will fry your cable) on it and it'll be ready to go.

Knockoff VCDS cables are a minefield, ross tech does not play games when it comes to stuff like this. All it takes is one wrong step and the cable's dead, but if you take the right precautions you'll be just fine. I might sound overly dramatic about this, but I'm speaking from experience. I used to think "ehh it can't be that bad" when I read people saying the same things I'm telling you right now, but after the 2nd or 3rd time I bricked a cable I realized they weren't exaggerating.