PDA

View Full Version : Can cold weather effect clutch engagement?

B5Yearold
11-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Hey guys winter came around here in Ma and it's been close to freezing temps. Recently my clutch feels like it's weak. Doesn't seem to engage as quickly or powerfully as normal. It's an oem clutch kit installed professionally with about 5-6k on it. Should I be worried that it's going out? As I shift through gears I can't even feel the change no matter how quick I let off the clutch for the most part. Any imput? Couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Thanks!

R490
11-30-2014, 02:29 PM
It can cause clutch slippage I've heard, you shouldn't nee a new clutch since it's pretty new.

Do you keep the car in a heated garage?

B5Yearold
11-30-2014, 02:38 PM
It can cause clutch slippage I've heard, you shouldn't nee a new clutch since it's pretty new.

Do you keep the car in a heated garage?

It just feels weak I can't feel the engagement at all for the most part. No it stays outside

R490
11-30-2014, 03:52 PM
It just feels weak I can't feel the engagement at all for the most part. No it stays outside

Hmmm, Try barefoot? Lol, I barely can feel the engagement point on my car, but I know where it is from practice.

B5Yearold
11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Hmmm, Try barefoot? Lol, I barely can feel the engagement point on my car, but I know where it is from practice.

Haha yea for the most part neither can I but I know for a fact it feels a bit more weak. Hmm. Just don't want it going out on me It will ruin show season for me because I'll be broke!

GrapeBandit
11-30-2014, 04:34 PM
lived in the frigid cold winters of nj for all my life, I cant say I experienced the same

Corrado_Guy
11-30-2014, 06:32 PM
It could just be 'wearing' in so to say as the action of using the clutch can soften it up a bit on the springs so if feels lighter. It should still bite just as hard though but feel a little lighter as long as you were nice to it and bedded it in properly. We are currently below 0 C now and I hate my clutch now as much as I did when it was warm out. It has about 1/2 the time on it as yours and is still as stiff as when I put it in but it is not OEM.

biketsai
11-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Had the same experience and read online that there could be frozen water/condensation in your brake fluid. Try putting in new fluid. My clutch masters slipped real bad one day when it gone down to the 20's. It was fine after my car warmed up and shifted a bunch. I also noticed my pedal felt sticky until it all warmed up.

walky_talky20
11-30-2014, 08:25 PM
My clutch pedal feels entirely different when it's cold. I'd say When it dips below 15 degrees F or so, it starts to feel "gummy", and is delayed when I release the pedal (ie: I can let my foot off the pedal faster than it will push back against my foot. In other words, if I "side step" the clutch pedal, the result is just a normal slow engagement, not an abrupt wheel spin event). As such, gear changes to 2nd and 3rd will slip a little bit if I get on the gas quickly (as normal).

My fluid is all new with my 5-speed swap (I removed and rinsed out the fluid reservoir, even). So its not the fluid. I believe it is due to the movement of the throwout bearing over it's "guide sleeve". I've greased this area for good movement - however, the grease I used is probably not ideal for below-freezing temps. I should have used some thin synthetic grease. What I did use was red axle grease. I think it is this grease that gets stiff and slows the movement in very cold temps. Once the engine/trans warms a bit, everything is back to normal. This is a pretty normal thing to do (grease the sleeve), but our bearings have a fairly tight fit, and I think this is what makes them more sensitive to the type of grease used.

Even with my super-light clutch pedal (B5 S4 over-center spring with B6 A4 pressure plate), it's never actually stuck to the floor. It still has enough to return to the top. It's just delayed a bit. Not a big deal for me. This happens only a few days a year, and back to normal very quickly.

Corrado_Guy
11-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Had the same experience and read online that there could be frozen water/condensation in your brake fluid. Try putting in new fluid. My clutch masters slipped real bad one day when it gone down to the 20's. It was fine after my car warmed up and shifted a bunch. I also noticed my pedal felt sticky until it all warmed up.

Makes sense and brake fluid is hygroscopic so it could just be moisture in the brake fluid that also runs the clutch. How often do you flush your brake fluid, it should be every two years or 48,000 kms.

biketsai
12-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Makes sense and brake fluid is hygroscopic so it could just be moisture in the brake fluid that also runs the clutch. How often do you flush your brake fluid, it should be every two years or 48,000 kms.

I haven't done mine in 4-5 yrs :(