PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Timing belt change

underduc
11-30-2014, 10:57 AM
This is an odd way to start posting, but til now, I've been learning and didn't have much to jump in with.
Yesterday, I started to change the timing belt on my recently purchased a 2000 A4 with a 2.8 motor and 60 thousand miles. I got as far as putting the crank at tdc. When I did it, the 2 cams are not lining up at all. From what I have read, they are always supposed to.I bought the cam tool and crank lock, but that doesn't work right now. Any idea why it's like this? I'll see if I am able to post photos.
I don't think I can do photos. With the crank in the right place, but both have the cams are at about 11 o'clock and aiming to the left, with the small hole high on the right and the large one high on the left. The car runs great, bty. I have done a number of belts over the years but never a vee motor.
The cam end pieces both have some white markings. Anyone have an idea of whats going on here? I linked to photos.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7081368-Confused-about-timing-belt-change&p=86750826#post86750826

underduc
12-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Well, it seems like no one else knows what to do either. I've decided to be very careful not to move anything and just put the new belt on. It seems to me that some work has been done to this motor, in an unconventional way. I bought the car from a used car lot, who bought it in auction, so there is nobody to ask about the history.

SJorge3442
12-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Well, it seems like no one else knows what to do either. I've decided to be very careful not to move anything and just put the new belt on. It seems to me that some work has been done to this motor, in an unconventional way. I bought the car from a used car lot, who bought it in auction, so there is nobody to ask about the history.

Just a heads up, you have a B5, not a b6, but regardless, I have a few suggestions. I would line the crank at TDC, then remove the belt and properly align the cams so that the tool can be installed. This way, you will have all three pieces of the motor aligned. Currently, your timing is NOT correct. Its pretty important to get the cams in line with the crank.

Also, FYI, no one ever ventures up to portion of the forum, just post in the main body portion of the proper generation forum.

Here is a good link for the TB DIY http://www.happywrenching.com/a4/audi-a4-b5-28l-v6-timing-belt-replacement-removal-and-installation.html