PDA

View Full Version : New rear discs missing important piece

A4ski
11-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Good morning, gentlemen.
I am in the midst of a full rear brake replacement, and I noticed that the new discs do NOT have the inner slotted flange that corresponds the the wheel speed sensor. It does not appear that there is any way to get this off the old disc without destroying it. I don't even know what to call this thing to look up the part. I could leave it off, but I'm sure that would cause trouble in the ABS system. I can live without the ABS, so I'm open to just skipping it and ignoring the light as long as there is a way to keep the ABS from operating. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

redline380
11-30-2014, 08:13 AM
I'm guessing you have a FWD? and you picked up discs for a Quattro?

A4ski
11-30-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm guessing you have a FWD? and you picked up discs for a Quattro?

No, I made double sure to specify FWD, and the rotors are otherwise identical. Quattro rotors have distinct differences. The Haynes manual calls the part "wheel speed sensor rotor." The ones on the old rotors look ready to crumble. I can't get any parts sites to even acknowledge that such an element exists.

walky_talky20
11-30-2014, 10:02 AM
Doesn't come with rotor. Here you go:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/Search/SiteSearch/443_614_149_A/ES357962/

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/288930_x600.jpg

For future reference, you can look up part numbers for your Audi here:
http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/webcat/au/au.mycat?SelPg&t=4UpsPSZKbD1sSmw9oxAEBNALNRuyE1v/dcVsPdOV7A3hCm7CAW5MP_FuTTrhamy37AfI9aeYSnD/C0ZesH52PeJ3RzbXT2onAmQW/wW5AdOGO54K1CJfkOHakhHzeMZF_e92OcYggC/UBkuhNUceR9EKvnMjWIbJzeMEpw3MiPv0qLE5djQV83q6pPNwr 4SGc2OuuWD0eJmZ

A4ski
11-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Great! That looks like it will work. The existing one is simply a plate with slots through it, but I don't see why this wouldn't function just fine. Thanks, much obliged!

walky_talky20
11-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Must be an update to the part. Looks like even the genuine ones have the solid design. (Probably because the holes make them rot apart!)

http://www.carsdealer.pl/s/files/piercieABS3.jpg

woolveren
11-30-2014, 08:48 PM
I have replaced it with this one below some 3yrs ago, no problems so far..

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/JLB/ABS_Ring/W0133-1733869.html?loc=Rear

But as Walky posted above, OE will be a better option any day..

walky_talky20
12-01-2014, 05:14 AM
It's just a piece of metal. I'd go aftermarket all the way. I only linked the OEM part because ECS didn't carry the JLB unit anymore. Nice find, Woolvy. [up]

Wrath And Tears
12-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Recently did my brakes all the way around so I'll share my experience with the FWD.

The rears are a pain in the ass. Not only do you have to deal with swapping or replacing the ABS ring, you also have to transfer or replace the bearings into the new rotors. I got the new OEM rings but for the life of me, no mater how hard I hit it, I could not get it to seat properly. I ended up popping the old ones off and using them on the new rotors. My old rings were in perfect condition however.

A4ski
12-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah, the fronts were a piece of cake. Didn't have much trouble with the bearings, the Haynes manual was actually helpful in that area. The hack who did the rears before me torqued every bolt to about 120 ft/lbs, I actually had to saw a bracket bolt off by hand. (Yes, I tried a torch, impact driver, a quart of PB blaster, drinking beer, etc.) So, there she will sit on stands in the garage until the UPS man comes on Wednesday. The three must-haves for a new home mechanic: 1) Gloves 2) GOOD torque wrench 3) A second car.

woolveren
12-01-2014, 02:28 PM
. The three must-haves for a new home mechanic: 1) Gloves 2) GOOD torque wrench 3) A second car.

I agree with the 3rd one.. Lolz

A4ski
12-01-2014, 02:43 PM
I have replaced it with this one below some 3yrs ago, no problems so far..

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/JLB/ABS_Ring/W0133-1733869.html?loc=Rear

But as Walky posted above, OE will be a better option any day..

ARRGH. Where were you yesterday? I paid $50 each. These are only $20!

redline380
12-01-2014, 03:01 PM
ARRGH. Where were you yesterday? I paid $50 each. These are only $20!

Call up ECS. I'm guessing there is still time to cancel the order.

A4ski
12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Well, I went with FCP because they had them for $5 less than ECS. Already shipped, FCP has people take orders on Sundays, apparently. Lesson in patience learned: I shouldn't be in a hurry, I'm not driving the car til the snow melts anyway, it just bugs me to no end when she's not in running condition, ya know? BTW, you "veteran" member guys who seem to be helping out every noob on this site, I hope you are being paid or otherwise compensated. You certainly deserve it! Much obliged, I know such expertise does not come easily.

redline380
12-01-2014, 03:44 PM
BTW, you "veteran" member guys who seem to be helping out every noob on this site, I hope you are being paid or otherwise compensated. You certainly deserve it! Much obliged, I know such expertise does not come easily.

We do it out of the goodness of our hearts, which are shaped like four rings. Thanks for the appreciation though. Makes putting up with the snot nosed teenagers all the easier. Although I will have to admit, seems to have gotten pretty good around here lately. I can't complain.

And oh yeah, next time buy a quattro[;)] FWD cannot be uttered in a thread without at least one Quattro recommendation.

walky_talky20
12-01-2014, 09:24 PM
We do it out of the goodness of our hearts,

Speak for yourself, Red. I'm off to cash my check right now. [;)]

redline380
12-02-2014, 05:55 AM

Checks? Who is getting checks? I want one...

And BTW, that is MISTER Red to you [>_<]

woolveren
12-02-2014, 06:52 AM

Checks? Who is getting checks? I want one...

And BTW, that is MISTER Red to you [>_<]

I have offered paypal to Walky so many times, but guess what he never accepted it. [up]

A4ski
12-03-2014, 03:55 PM
We do it out of the goodness of our hearts, which are shaped like four rings. Thanks for the appreciation though. Makes putting up with the snot nosed teenagers all the easier. Although I will have to admit, seems to have gotten pretty good around here lately. I can't complain.

And oh yeah, next time buy a quattro[;)] FWD cannot be uttered in a thread without at least one Quattro recommendation.

Ok, since you mention quattro: I have seen two very clean looking B5 A4 quattros for sale recently, both with lower miles than my FWD, and for significantly less $$ than I paid for said FWD, but both are 2.8 V6 models. Is there something especially undesirable about the V6? Seems like the B5 guys don't even want to TALK about it, it's taboo to even bring up.

redline380
12-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Ok, since you mention quattro: I have seen two very clean looking B5 A4 quattros for sale recently, both with lower miles than my FWD, and for significantly less $$ than I paid for said FWD, but both are 2.8 V6 models. Is there something especially undesirable about the V6? Seems like the B5 guys don't even want to TALK about it, it's taboo to even bring up.

v6 is fine if you don't want to mod. The thing is a chipped 1.8 is faster than a v6 and better fuel mileage. But if you don't care about the powerz, a v6 will do you just fine.

Where are you in ohio?

A4ski
12-03-2014, 05:23 PM
v6 is fine if you don't want to mod. The thing is a chipped 1.8 is faster than a v6 and better fuel mileage. But if you don't care about the powerz, a v6 will do you just fine.

Where are you in ohio?

If I got the V6, it would be as a pre-emptive replacement for my work car, a 98 Saturn that STILL gets 40+ mpg highway. I think it would be handy to have a work and "fun" car that have many parts in common. I live in Chesterland, about 30 miles east of Cleveland, which is where I work. The condition of the roads in Cleveland are such that my Saturn needs at least one ball joint or tie rod replaced every year, which is why my beloved Audi will never see that side of town. There was a pothole on Sackett Ave. last spring that was too wide for a car to straddle without both wheels dropping in.

A4ski
12-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Quick note:I Did have a hard time seating the new abs rings, but a co-worker gave me the following hint which worked beautifully: Leave the disc in the freezing garage (or freezer) and put the ring in the oven. I did 425 for about 20 minutes. Was still snug, but seated easily with a punch and hammer. I noticed somebody above had a hard time seating their rings.

redline380
12-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Quick note:I Did have a hard time seating the new abs rings, but a co-worker gave me the following hint which worked beautifully: Leave the disc in the freezing garage (or freezer) and put the ring in the oven.

Doesn't the ring seat inside of the rotor? As in this way would be backwards? You'd want to expand the rotor and contract the ring, right?

A4ski
12-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Doesn't the ring seat inside of the rotor? As in this way would be backwards? You'd want to expand the rotor and contract the ring, right?

Nope, it wraps around the inner hub. I haven't done the math, but the expansion about the circumference outdoes the expansion across the diameter. I'll post a pic of the old rotor later on when I figure out how to post pics here.