PDA

View Full Version : heater issue

mwollman
11-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone I recently bought an 01 Avant and the guy told me the heater core needed replaced. I've replaced a dash before in my brother's b5 and I'd rather not do it again. The guy told me he flushed it twice and it ran clear and that's why he is convinced the heater core is bad. However, I'm not sure I understand how it would be bad unless it was leaking, which the car doesn't lose coolant.

I'm wondering if my logic is flawed or maybe he didn't fully flush the core. My car seems to heat up normally and sits right at dead center so I don't believe it is a T-stat. Also, I get a very minimal amount of heat when the engine is completely warmed up.

Thanks in advance for your input.[:D]

Avant Nate
11-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Is the blower fan operating?

BlueBoostedAudi
11-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Thae the heater hoses off.
Connect longer hose to it and use air compressor to blow air thru the hose if it comes out the other end then u kno its not a clogged heater core...
If it does cap off the end its blowing out of and see if it hold 17$s of pressure.
If it doesn't u could try n put clr in it to cleab it out...
There may be easier ways tho...

mwollman
11-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah blower fan works fine. What compressor end should I use to blow air through it?

getslideways
11-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Try bleeding the system by using the bleeder hole on the passenger side heater core hose. If he flushed the core but didn't bleed it properly then there will be air trapped there (which is common when opening up the cooling system since the heater core is the highest point on the setup). Trapped air prevents heat from blowing out the vents.

mwollman
11-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Wouldn't air in the system cause a coolant system issue?

Schnauzerguy
11-23-2014, 10:15 AM
From personal experience just because you get flow through the core does not mean you will get heat. I had minimal heat only when the RPMs were up. I bled the core got fluid out the hole and still minimal heat. Bit the bullet and replaced the core, when I bled it the stream out the hole was much stronger and I now have heat. That said there is a thread about an air assisted flush gun that supposedly works wonders, I think Walky- Talky was one of the testers. I did not try it because I was afraid of blowing up the core and making a mess. I have pulled a number of dash panels so this did not scare me. I will admit this one was more of a challenge but got it done in under 8 hours.

Jason12692
11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
It sounds to me like the guy you bought the car from didn't do a sufficient job of flushing it. One trick that worked for me on my jeep was reversing the heater hoses and back flush the system. This should give you enough pressure to unclog what ever is in there.

mwollman
11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Alright well I'll try and flush it again before I go through the process of pulling another dash. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to flushing though. What is the best way to blow through the heater core? I've got one of the compressor ends you can blow air through to blow dust off but I feel that won't be enough pressure to push anything through.

Avant Nate
11-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Alright well I'll try and flush it again before I go through the process of pulling another dash. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to flushing though. What is the best way to blow through the heater core? I've got one of the compressor ends you can blow air through to blow dust off but I feel that won't be enough pressure to push anything through.
You could try this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519HW04PIAL._SL1100_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F5ECRW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E1UU6KN5U7UJ&coliid=ID1TLGF31HRNP

Jason12692
11-23-2014, 05:44 PM
They actually make a piece you can put on your garden hose to flush it out too. Also like I said earlier you can reverse the heater hose connections and it will unclog what ever is in there. Also don't forget when you're flushing the system you want to make sure you are at operating temperature so that your thermostat opens up and turn your heat on full blast.

mwollman
11-23-2014, 06:09 PM
That thing looks like a ray gun from Mars attacks.

Yeah I believe I read that elsewhere, just one of those one that you twist to adjust flow?

Saskwatch
11-23-2014, 06:21 PM
blow the heater core empty, then make a nice hot water concoction of CLR and h2o, dump into the core, let sit for 15-20 min (hot water), then blow it out, (put a hose on the exiting side of air to keep the mess down, run it to the floor/ground.

/done

also check your air flow from heater, i dunno how many time a re-re has had a completely clogged never changed cabin filter. (because captain derpenstein found the fix on the internet), complaining clogged heater core, (I know that is the problem FIX IT) only to be proven wrong after the repair and it being a derped up cabin filter.