PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Make a unique car, even more so.

Radskull1
11-21-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a 2000 A4 1.8t Quattro and im trying to find something to just make it that much more special, any suggestions? its just a base model thats kinda run down and i have spent more time working on it than driving it, I however will be taking it apart piece by piece to fix all the little problems, now that the bigger issues are fixed, I'm wanting to get a body kit for it, but still keep its classy look, It is hibiscus red which is a nice dark color but i was thinking about pulling the motor and painting it solid white instead of the color of the old engine oil, i have to take the top off anyways to fix a oil leak so i might just paint it white with Audi and rings in red. any idea's? just throw them out, im just brain storming to get ideas for my car, everything works, except the brake light flashing. and just saying these quattros really handle snow like nothing ive ever driven, its always been a challenge to get up my hill in the winter, with these cars i have literally went in reverse up my hill, without spinning the first wheel, these cars go better than my 4x4 ranger and 4x4 f250, they are Tanks when it comes to traction lol

SquishyPanda
11-21-2014, 09:03 PM
I would recommend against painting the engine white. There will always be other oil leaks.

Always.

Also I'm a little confused by your mixed tenses. Are you saying you have already pulled it apart to fix all the mechanical issues, or you plan to do so? If it's the latter, do that before worrying about body kits and whatnot. The world doesn't need more ratty old cars that look like the owner spent more time preparing for the 2 Fast 2 Furious casting call than actually making the car roadworthy.

FWIW I've only seen two or three different body kits for the B5 and they all look ridiculous (which is, of course, just an opinion) and are made poorly (which is more scientifically verifiable).

Now that I'm done being Negative Nancy, if you want a "classy" look, I think you get far more for the money with a nice set of wheels and tires and a healthy dose of low than you can with any sort of body kit. Cheaper body kits generally need a lot of wiggling to fit right and then if the paint sort of doesn't match, it will bug you forever.

Radskull1
11-21-2014, 09:26 PM
thats why i said to keep it classy i dont want a impossible 2fast4u7 car, the reason i said im going to fix the oil leak, I know where it is, its a old seal around the top of the engine, i was thinking about painting the top of the engine because its the easiest thing to keep clean, the classy body kits mentioned have a stock look, but are not over the top off the wall for no reason. i will probably end up with a small spoiler but it will be painted the same color as the rest of the car its just an idea in the process thanks for your imput be as negative nancy as you wish i wont stop u, money isnt a real problem for me because i will end up doing 99% of the work myself, the only *body kit* piece i want to change is the front bumper. it looks bad when the plastic under piece is missing

RallyeBourne
11-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Agree with the wheels, emphasis on the healthy dose of low.

I don't really like body kits in general. On the b5, I like the s4 bumper, and maybe a cupra r lip.

SquishyPanda
11-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Oh just the valve cover? Yeah do whatever to that. It's easy enough to get at that you can try a new paint job every week if you're so inclined lol. I did wrinkle red on my old Honda (bcuz JDM y0) and it looked fantastic.... for about a week. Magic dirt from nowhere gets in the little wrinkles.

There's a number of replacement front valences available and some of them look almost like they could have been a factory option. If you search eBay for "A4 lip spoiler" or "chin spoiler" or something along those lines you'll find most of the ones that are available and they're generally about $100. I was going to get one myself until I decided to experiment a little bit with an Acura Legend lip (actually two lips, because I had to splice them together to make it wide enough) and decided I liked it.

RallyeBourne
11-21-2014, 10:22 PM
^^pics of said splice job lip? I like unique.

I actually had my valve cover black. But got old. so I resprayed it a color called 'Cast Coat Iron'. I LOVE it.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/21/776998475e2233c3104815c465550140.jpg

SquishyPanda
11-21-2014, 11:09 PM
That's a neat color. Not too outrageous like safety orange or something.

No pics of the Legend lip yet. I'll try to take some when I get home in a couple of days. I'm thinking about doing a version 2 now that I know what mistakes I made on the first one lol.

Radskull1
11-22-2014, 12:19 AM
all very good ideas but where i live i cant drop the car any lower than where it is because i can lose my car in some of these pot holes lol now about decals, I want a stealthy look with some performance decals on it, just always thought they made the car look better when u could see what was in it on those coil packs u could take the cover from the originals and stick on it, that way less stuff gets into the engine itself

But i know for a fact what my next project is, Fixing the hood/bonnet latch so its easier to pop it, i'm going to make one thats a little easier to get a grip on, and im going to fix a large portion of the paint, my car has 0 rust, its just bad paint due to someone miss treating it before i bought it, anyone have the 6 cd changer, apparently someone liked the one in my audi so much they decided to take it and sell the car

Also im thinking about redoing the console and make it a little bit more useful, by fixing the ashe trey into a cup holder station, and fixing a few other things in it, i think i might put a scoop over the turbo to keep it running cool and give the car a more unique feel, i wanna go with a small scoop at the least, for that turbo whistle to come through *gatta love that*

RallyeBourne
11-22-2014, 06:07 AM
I think I still have my disc changer. If so, pay the shipping and it's yours. I'll check today and let you know.

Radskull1
11-22-2014, 10:36 AM
sure, ive been looking for one for a while, the cd player in the front of the car is pretty much useless because the previous owner tried to use it as a cup for some kind of drink and there is soda syrup anywhere u cant clean, i actually sanded down the center around the gear shift, because there were soda stains that stained the plastic ive cleaned 99% of it but i also have to take apart the climate control because the buttons get stuck in it because of the same reason lol

Radskull1
11-22-2014, 12:09 PM
i think i am going to convert the ashtray into a cup holder, I dont smoke so theres no reason for it, and the ashtray in the back will become another car outlet lol i have a lot of ideas for this car so ill keep everything posted along with pictures of how its going when i do start working on it

RallyeBourne
11-22-2014, 03:48 PM
I have it. What's your zip? I think it'll fit in a usps flat rate box. I'll check.

Radskull1
11-22-2014, 04:43 PM
25938 should be Victor, but thats just where i get my mail

pbcrazy
11-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Many people like to clean up/paint things in their engine bay. Front mount intercoolers also serve a purpose and definitely make you unique, but those are a bit more labor intensive than fixing up your bay. Body Kits=No, Turbo Air Scoop=No. If you want more turbo whistle delete your cat or get a high flow one, not an air scoop.
(Picture of my engine bay for reference).
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/pbcrazy96/IMG_1349_zps13dad9b7.jpg

Radskull1
11-22-2014, 10:43 PM
nice engine bay, im gonna do something like that. and yea im just throwing ideas lol im gonna paint the plastic covers in my engine bay too

Halfrican
11-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Please don't ruin a purty Hibiscus Red A4 with a body kit. If anything, I suggest S4 bumpers/skirts.

I wouldn't waste too much time making your engine bay look fancy, unless of course you plan on driving with your hood open, or otherwise turning your car into a "show" car. Use a strong degreaser and a good 'ol shop rag and clean it up.

gearhead9992
11-23-2014, 04:54 PM
I have a 2 questions 1 what is that cover over the power steering tank and 2 how did u get the throttle body apart enough to paint it

Many people like to clean up/paint things in their engine bay. Front mount intercoolers also serve a purpose and definitely make you unique, but those are a bit more labor intensive than fixing up your bay. Body Kits=No, Turbo Air Scoop=No. If you want more turbo whistle delete your cat or get a high flow one, not an air scoop.
(Picture of my engine bay for reference).
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/pbcrazy96/IMG_1349_zps13dad9b7.jpg

BaseDrifter
11-23-2014, 05:09 PM
There were two power steering covers, a larger one and that small one.

Part number for the small one is 8D0 972 807.

$12 from ECS, they list the VIN splits.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/SiteSearch/8d0_972_807/ES433145/

Radskull1
11-23-2014, 05:24 PM
i feel like the throttle would be difficult to paint lol

pbcrazy
11-23-2014, 05:37 PM
i feel like the throttle would be difficult to paint lol

Soak non-electric part in oven cleaner, spray off with compressed air, and sand where possible. Wasn't too bad, it is just spray paint after all.

Radskull1
11-23-2014, 07:14 PM
looks nice, my car is scratched to pieces so ill be respraying a bit of it, idk if i will do the throttle body but i will definitely do the plastic covers White, because who doesnt like a Super clean engine look lol

Radskull1
11-23-2014, 09:15 PM
i think the next step for me is fixing the center arm rest, its ratty and old, i want to get new head lights, probably going to find some projectors and put them on because i want the angel eye look since it is an audi plus i have to fix the cruise control arm since its currently not working at all. after that i really dont have anything to fix, so ill be working on making it look like an audi should, i have to get the dirt and oil stains out of the interior because like i said this car was treated poorly and it deserved better, so im going to get it back to how it should be, and ill run the car until i cant fix it anymore. One question what does the fan on the passenger side infront of the turbo do? mine stopped working and i was wondering if i should be concerned lol

pbcrazy
11-23-2014, 09:24 PM
i think the next step for me is fixing the center arm rest, its ratty and old, i want to get new head lights, probably going to find some projectors and put them on because i want the angel eye look since it is an audi
Nononono you are mistaken. Angel Eyes=BMWs or Ricers. The best looking headlights will be your stock ones. Just clean them if they are oxidized and perhaps look into the clear corner mod for a cleaner look.

One question what does the fan on the passenger side infront of the turbo do? mine stopped working and i was wondering if i should be concerned lol
Its not always on. It turns on when the car overheats and I believe when the AC is turned on (correct me on this if I am wrong)

Saskwatch
11-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Paint it brown and call it "the shit"

woop woop.

BaronB5
11-23-2014, 09:44 PM
In my opinion less is more in the Audi game. But that's my opinion. Enjoy the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radskull1
11-23-2014, 11:07 PM
i ment the led things that are distinctive on the car not angel eyes lol, i thought of the wrong name lol i watched a rice burner get a ticket the other day laughed for 20 minutes because he passed me like i was sitting still then i passed him while the blue man was writing a special note for him. and thats not a very creative thing Saskwatch

Radskull1
11-23-2014, 11:26 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-11161747262114/a4-s4-4.jpg

this is what kind of lights i ment when i said angel eyes, i know these are the more iconic audi headlights, and i wanna get some similar i like the looks of them

MetalMan
11-24-2014, 06:48 AM
They are called "devil eyes". Don't do it to your B5, the look doesn't fit well IMO. Best look will be either stock one-piece headlights or one-piece headlights with clear corners (like the Euro version).

RallyeBourne
11-24-2014, 09:34 AM
^^agree.

I like them too. And I was going to get them. But then I saw them on a b5 and I immediately went soft. I mean, they're not THAT bad I guess, but they definitely look like a cheap knockoff aftermarket headlight. They just don't flow with the body lines at all.

MetalMan
11-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I had them on my '98.5, actually. They looked decent but the LEDs were pretty weak, and the headlights were of quite low quality. I threw them away.

Radskull1
11-24-2014, 10:33 AM
i didnt know what they were called lol i guess they look great on new audi but not older styles

AudiholicA4
11-24-2014, 06:07 PM
I work on mine all the time, I took all the covers off cause I have the 12V and they get really annoying, I might clean mine one day but if I spray something liquid form in the engine bay, something will go bad, so I don't bother plus it leaks ps fluid so it's dirty anyways.
post pics of your A4?
surprised no ones asked yet,
I have a lazer red A4 it's pre facelift and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone device

pbcrazy
11-24-2014, 06:41 PM
I might clean mine one day but if I spray something liquid form in the engine bay, something will go bad
WD-40 Engine Degreaser, stuff is magical

I have a laser red A4 it's pre facelift and I love it
Thats cause it's the best color! (Laser btw)

Radskull1
11-24-2014, 10:53 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1901808_833147976727583_9081961919715710302_n.jpg? oh=a2bf9a40440d9ff33a5ecc646ddeb4d6&oe=550BB553&__gda__=1427637960_731a2117676c9904ba158b60202b060 7

This is what im working with right now, The yellow coil pack is there because it was miss firing using a newer coil pack so i threw an old one on for the time being, Ill put a new one on in a few days, The inside is kinda dirty just because of previous owners, i have had the car for 3 months and have just now got it back to stock running, except for a small issue with a fuel filter, which will be changed out in the next few days, ill pressure wash everything up before the next few pictures, I have all the plastic except for the battery cover, Idk where it went to, i believe my dad left it ontop of the engine when he *test drove* it. i only paid 900 for the car and put a new turbo into it, New coil packs/plugs, New oil belt cat battery fuses relays filters boost gauge *Clear hose running through grommet near the antifreeze reservoir*, recently ran new wires to the coil packs, New oil dip stick wipers ect. the only thing this car needs is some TLC now, so im going to work on the interior next. I need to get a new plastic engine cover, because mine is cracked, along with a new cat heat shield. I seen one on here i loved and would have paid 100 for because it was a street sign lol more than likely ill post many more pictures where this one came from just because this site helped me get this car back up and running :D

Radskull1
11-24-2014, 11:09 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10702217_833152063393841_5743475485232933786_n.jpg ?oh=caca205a4feb0c0f90e138f6269919f3&oe=54D95494

Picture of the entire car, this is when i first bought the car, didnt take a very great picture due to the trash in the way, All though i will take better pictures and add them tomorrow, This is right after the car broke down and i had to get it towed back home from a friends house, The issue was a bad battery and a bad relay, Now that thats all delt with its a great little car, I just dont want someone to tell me the turbo system held 900 lbs of pressure and its only rated to 15 lbs :| the guy i had install it was an idiot lol and yes the car is parked on the side of a hill, Trees throw perspective off in this picture There is a 25 ft straight drop from the car to the road below, i usually back the car in there, the blue car is a Ford 500 and up the road is my old Ford ranger, that was sold yesterday i have done 99% of the work to this car, the guy who installed the turbo didnt even hook the air box back up nor bolt the cat back onto the exaust system, so i had to do that myself, thats why i never went back to him :D who knows what would have fell off the car after the next attempt does anyone know what the door blades on the door handles are called? one of mine is missing, i tried to find some at a scrap yard but couldnt

RallyeBourne
11-25-2014, 07:41 AM
I HATE Ford 500's.... my mother had one, and I'm the resident mechanic. Such a bitch to work on. Constant issues.
/rant

RallyeBourne
11-25-2014, 08:59 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/25/b69d034ea6efa7a47106152ecca1f708.jpg

That's what I started with.

pbcrazy
11-25-2014, 10:41 AM
This was before I went nuts cleaning everything and painting.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/pbcrazy96/IMG_0700_zps730a5efb.jpg
And obviously after is shown. Get a new coolant tank and wipe off some of that dirt build up. But do NOT use a pressure washer

Radskull1
11-25-2014, 11:21 AM
I HATE Ford 500's.... my mother had one, and I'm the resident mechanic. Such a bitch to work on. Constant issues.
/rant

I have never had a problem with that car, and its up to 150k, they do however have little work room. and i can see how it would be a pain to work on, I dont even bother with that Try changing a belt on a ford probe :| takes hours to do

This was before I went nuts cleaning everything and painting.
And obviously after is shown. Get a new coolant tank and wipe off some of that dirt build up. But do NOT use a pressure washer that is a nice engine bay lol what kind of air box is that cf?

RallyeBourne
11-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Let's see... instrument cluster went bad, map sensor went bad, cvt decided it liked a few particular gear ratios, ignition control module went bad, And that damn motor mount up top (I think it's called the torque mount or something like that) goes bad every 20k or so. And it's not cheap. And now the a/c compressor is out. Car has less than 80k on it, 2006 model. But it's her sons problem now, she got a 2013 Hyundai Sonata.

Halfrican
11-25-2014, 03:00 PM
^^agree.

I like them too. And I was going to get them. But then I saw them on a b5 and I immediately went soft. I mean, they're not THAT bad I guess, but they definitely look like a cheap knockoff aftermarket headlight. They just don't flow with the body lines at all.

They are awful looking. OEM one-piece headlights with or without amber corners is the way to go.

BaseDrifter
11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
that is a nice engine bay lol what kind of air box is that cf?

It's a Carbonio intake. Very pricey brand new, but it's hands down the best looking air box IMO. I picked up mine used for ~$125.

You can have a clean engine bay without painting anything. I've always thought painted engine covers looked pretty tacky. Just my opinion.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p439/blkA4alb-3/A4%20B5/DSC06889_zps07cb47bd.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/blkA4alb-3/media/A4%20B5/DSC06889_zps07cb47bd.jpg.html)

gearhead9992
11-25-2014, 03:56 PM
yup out of all of them basedrifter has one of the best looking engine bays his inspired me to clean mine up

pbcrazy
11-25-2014, 06:52 PM
yup out of all of them basedrifter has one of the best looking engine bays his inspired me to clean mine up

Oh no doubt. I just could never put that much sanding/work into the bay. So I opted for cleaning and painting. But hands down BaseDrifter's is the gold standard.

BaseDrifter
11-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Thank you both, I appreciate that. One of the last pieces of the puzzle should be arriving for my bay tomorrow to complete the driver's side.

Where I have inspired you, engine bays like RobA4's were my inspiration.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/a4robm/DSC_3065.jpg

Radskull1
11-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Let's see... instrument cluster went bad, map sensor went bad, cvt decided it liked a few particular gear ratios, ignition control module went bad, And that damn motor mount up top (I think it's called the torque mount or something like that) goes bad every 20k or so. And it's not cheap. And now the a/c compressor is out. Car has less than 80k on it, 2006 model. But it's her sons problem now, she got a 2013 Hyundai Sonata.

i guess its just a fluke of a car then, the only thing i have changed is the head lights, because the old pair blew out, After that i believe it still has the original battery, i know the interior is not beat up all the lights work except the dash light some times doesnt come on from the 10-40 mph light no other issues at all lol

Radskull1
11-25-2014, 10:18 PM
i prefer audi now lol

RallyeBourne
11-26-2014, 12:02 AM
i guess its just a fluke of a car then, the only thing i have changed is the head lights, because the old pair blew out, After that i believe it still has the original battery, i know the interior is not beat up all the lights work except the dash light some times doesnt come on from the 10-40 mph light no other issues at all lol
Or hers is a fluke. When it ran, it was great. Great fuel economy for the size, I'd sometimes get close to 500miles on a single tank. Tons of space inside. The things a tank.

My ford, however, I'd a rolling pile of shit. Transmission #3 now. It's a 2011. And it sat from Sept. 2013 until Aug. 2014 when Ford FINALLY fixed it.

Radskull1
11-26-2014, 12:22 AM
ive never had to put any work into mine, its always been a good car for me, but hands down the audi is more advanced. 7 year difference and my 00 a4 has a smarter sound system, and interior, but the one thing the a4 is missing is the room, the a6 is a little better with the room, but i still think there could be a little better such as air vents that the back can control, I realized when my family took a trip when i had to sit in the back, it got stuffy quick.

Radskull1
11-26-2014, 09:26 PM
I think i will end up painting the plastics and washing out the compartment, due to the ungodly amounts of dirt lol, I Seen a A4 on facebook for more than triple what i paid for mine, all i had to do to mine was replace the turbo, Does anyone know where i can get a replacement screen for the dash? mine only works when i unplug the battery for a few hours, then comes back for a little while and then fades out again.

Radskull1
12-01-2014, 02:06 AM
i have started working on the ash tray in the middle, I made a final decision on what im doing to it, im turning it into a cup holder, using pvc pipe painted black and fitted for a larger drink than can size :D it comes out a little past the shifter and is gonna have a slot on both sides for passenger and driver drinks and when u pull it out its going to have a drawer instead of an ash tray

RallyeBourne
12-01-2014, 09:18 AM
I think i will end up painting the plastics and washing out the compartment, due to the ungodly amounts of dirt lol, I Seen a A4 on facebook for more than triple what i paid for mine, all i had to do to mine was replace the turbo, Does anyone know where i can get a replacement screen for the dash? mine only works when i unplug the battery for a few hours, then comes back for a little while and then fades out again.

You can get one from k0mpresd. $65 shipped, I believe. But thats with you doing your own soldering. Or, you can have him do it for a bit more. Google Reflect Tuning. That's his business.

i have started working on the ash tray in the middle, I made a final decision on what im doing to it, im turning it into a cup holder, using pvc pipe painted black and fitted for a larger drink than can size :D it comes out a little past the shifter and is gonna have a slot on both sides for passenger and driver drinks and when u pull it out its going to have a drawer instead of an ash tray

Pics. Now.

please?

Radskull1
12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
theres nothing to show for it yet, other than the Proportions on autodesk lol