PDA

View Full Version : How hard to convert auto to 5spd

zandrew
11-21-2014, 08:58 AM
My car has some external damage and I am wondering how hard it would be to swap my trans and what not over to a clean auto setup? I keep finding clean examples with blown engines and or trans and it would seem that going this route would be possibly easier then trying to fix my car. Would the V6 cars pose issues?

Also what about possibly doing a 5speed swap into 2002?

Thanks

walky_talky20
11-21-2014, 09:08 AM
It's easy. The only difficult bit is coming up with the parts. If you already have the entire car, you're all set. The only gotcha with the V6 cars would be the gear ratios. You really want the longer gears with a V6.

For 2002+, there is a possible axle length issue. I'm not exactly sure where this issue arises from. One workaround used was an axle spacer. Another is swapping to B6 flanges and using B6 axles. There may be other solutions (ie: bolting up more B5 parts to the B6). Information here is lacking.

redline380
11-21-2014, 09:21 AM
It's easy. The only difficult bit is coming up with the parts. If you already have the entire car, you're all set. The only gotcha with the V6 cars would be the gear ratios. You really want the longer gears with a V6.

Not really an issue since he could just swap over the entire 1.8 transmission/subframe. If you have two cars total, it would be fairly easy. I'd guess about a week worth of work during the evenings.

GrapeBandit
11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
ecu coded to manual, pedal cluster, all related clutch lines etc. dbc to dbc swap or dbw to dbw swap not bad, but if you are going from dbc to dbw or vise versa it gets a little trickier

redline380
11-21-2014, 09:30 AM
ecu coded to manual, pedal cluster, all related clutch lines etc. dbc to dbc swap or dbw to dbw swap not bad, but if you are going from dbc to dbw or vise versa it gets a little trickier

Again, not an issue if you have two whole cars, which is what it sounds like he is planning on. The ecu would not need to be coded, and most of the rest would need to be swap over anyways if the new car is a v6

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd actually recommend a v6 donor car if you're going to be swapping everything over. Their interiors are nicer and they're usually better optioned.

redline380
11-21-2014, 09:57 AM
I'd actually recommend a v6 donor car if you're going to be swapping everything over. Their interiors are nicer and they're usually better optioned.

Good point, and probably not laden with ebay interior mods. Maybe a little more respectable owners too.

mpsmith
11-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Using the SEARCH bar is too difficult eh?[headbang]

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Good point, and probably not laden with ebay interior mods. Maybe a little more respectable owners too.

Oh yea. When I was searching I couldn't find a single 1.8t that hasn't been messed with in some way. I saw way too many clean, stock, well-maintained auto 2.8s but I had to pass since I was looking for a 5spd.

GrapeBandit
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM

not sure most ppl agree with me on this, but I actually prefer the leatherette over the v6 leather. the v6 leather doesnt last as long as the leatherette, plus id rather have aluminum trim over the wood any day.

zandrew
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Using the SEARCH bar is too difficult eh?[headbang]

The search bar does not Search members brains.... Plus its for Noobs....

Rest of the member:

My issue is the car I am most interested in is 2002 model. Its a well taken care of 1.8t auto with a blown HG. My other car is 1999 which is DBC. If the VW Bug DBW parts will work I have access to those. I know the engine in my 1999will not work but will the trans? Are the driveshafts different?

Madcow I found 2 relatively close S4s (both auto) for less then $5. Both with tasteful mods and in good shape. Then I look for B5 1.8T 5speed and I found afairly nice condition non Fast N Furious with 180xxx miles and they want $5k for it. It was K03 chippedwith a APR intake , a DP,and and 2.5" exhaust. It had lowering springs as well. It sold for $4600. WTF is going on?

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 12:45 PM
the v6 leather doesnt last as long as the leatherette

Are you serious? Because that's not normal at all, it's the other way around. Ever seen a v6 armrest fall apart like 1.8t armrests love to do? Mine still looks new apart from the leather obviously turning a bit glossy over time. Leatherette seats tear the actual material at the seams all the time, worst case with leather is the thread breaks and you have to sew it back up. I won't even get into how cheap the leatherette feels to sit on, worse than cloth.

BlueBoostedAudi
11-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Wouldnt it be a pain to swap the clutch pedal over?

walky_talky20
11-21-2014, 04:35 PM
As opposed to...just watching TV? Yeah.

The OP is talking about swapping engines and transmissions. Installing a clutch pedal is not a big deal, in comparison.

BlueBoostedAudi
11-21-2014, 06:02 PM
As opposed to...just watching TV? Yeah.

The OP is talking about swapping engines and transmissions. Installing a clutch pedal is not a big deal, in comparison.
Haha! I am looking into doing this as well except its an 01 a4 manual into a 01a4 auto
So would there be mounting spots for the pedal? Or would I have to fab sum thing up?

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Haha! I am looking into doing this as well except its an 01 a4 manual into a 01a4 auto
So would there be mounting spots for the pedal? Or would I have to fab sum thing up?

Pedal clusters are identical, all you gotta do is swap the brake pedal with one from a 5spd and install the clutch pedal and switches. Should be possible without pulling the pedal cluster, which is a royal PITA because you have to disconnect the steering shaft and a whole bunch of small things. If I remember correctly the brake and clutch pedal pivot on the same axle, so you take off a circlip, the axle should slide out the side and the pedals will just fall out, you might have to loosen the pedal cluster to get enough room to pull the axle out though but that's easy since it's just a few bolts.

biketsai
11-21-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't recall any of the pedal stuff being any problem at all or difficult.

jetice91
11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Keep in mind that the autos and manuals have different crank shafts, as I didn't see any mention in the original post about an engine swap. I learned that the hard way the last couple weekends. This is the writeup that helped me:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/299543-Biketsai-s-DIY-Auto-to-Manual-Conversion