PDA

View Full Version : Widest tire you can fit on B6 Sport Rim | 17x7.5

SN95Audi87
11-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Right now I am running 225/45ZR17 tires all around on my B5. Would running 225/50ZR17 be beneficial? I want a bigger side wall because the streets are not friendly in my area. Also would running a 235/45ZR17 or 235/50ZR17 cause a problem for the B6 sport rim in turning radius or cause issues with suspension movement?

If any B5'ers have any pictures of wider tires or thicker side walls I would greatly appreciate it. [;)]

fed0ra
11-20-2014, 02:10 PM
You can use a tool like this to figure out the fitment of various tires will be. Just take what they say with a grain of salt because some manufacturers run narrow/wide/tall/short. Still a good resource.

The problem with just changing out the profile or width on the same wheels is that you can make it taller/shorter/bulge too much/too little and affect the car's handling and your speedometer readout. Figure out what will keep you at the same overall wheel diameter with a thicker sidewall and go with that.

moyenecorniche
11-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Right now I am running 225/45ZR17 tires all around on my B5. Would running 225/50ZR17 be beneficial? I want a bigger side wall because the streets are not friendly in my area. Also would running a 235/45ZR17 or 235/50ZR17 cause a problem for the B6 sport rim in turning radius or cause issues with suspension movement?

If any B5'ers have any pictures of wider tires or thicker side walls I would greatly appreciate it. [;)]

A 235 is a 235 width regardless of being a 45 or a 50.
45 or / 50 is the percentage of vertical sidewall versus horizontal width. thus a 50 is a taller sidewall than a 45.

On my previous B6 Avant on 17x7.5 rims I ran 235/40 so Yes you'll be fine with a 45 or 50 but do realize the taller the sidewall, the less steering response.
personally i prefer a lower side wall for both feel and response. As far as unfriendly roads... Well you have to drive accordingly, slow down, leave enough space between you and the next car so you can see the road ahead. Drive around potholes and potentially wheel disastrous obstacles. Just because you have a taller sidewall isn't going to mean that damage doesn't occur, your wheel may not get deformed but be assured those impact forces will get deflected to control arms and suspension components.

Not sure what you are asking here. US roads for the most part have been neglected for years.

coolgraymemo
11-20-2014, 04:26 PM
235/45-17

What I have on my A4 (on 17x8.5 wheels).

seanf86
11-20-2014, 04:33 PM
I have 225/50/17 on my b5 s4 and it rubs the rear uprights bad not sure if stock s4 17" avus are same as b6 sport rims but its something to consider.

walky_talky20
11-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Spacing out will allow 235/45-17 fitment. Usually rubs in the rear, inside against the upright. Spacer will fix. 5mm is probably about right, but you should take your own measurements to be sure. Might want more to suit taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysman
11-21-2014, 06:18 AM
It sounds like you're looking for a more compliant tire to help deal with the bad roads. Even within a given aspect ration, be it 45 or 50, there are huge differences in sidewall stiffness. What you gain in compliance, you'll lose in steering response. One tire with softer sidewalls is Conti (DW or DWS)... read the reviews on Tire Rack to get a better perspective. There are also significant differences in tread width and tire weight for the same aspect ratio. A wider tread and lower weight is usually more compliant. You can also adjust somewhat with air pressure.

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 07:05 AM
I have 225/50/17 on my b5 s4 and it rubs the rear uprights bad not sure if stock s4 17" avus are same as b6 sport rims but its something to consider.

I ran that size for a bit, I only got away with it because the rims had enough offset to clear the uprights, so it is possible if you want to make it fit.

FYI OP, 225/50/16 is stock sport tire size so it'll work just fine.

SN95Audi87
11-21-2014, 11:25 AM
You can use a tool like this to figure out the fitment of various tires will be. Just take what they say with a grain of salt because some manufacturers run narrow/wide/tall/short. Still a good resource.

The problem with just changing out the profile or width on the same wheels is that you can make it taller/shorter/bulge too much/too little and affect the car's handling and your speedometer readout. Figure out what will keep you at the same overall wheel diameter with a thicker sidewall and go with that.

A 235 is a 235 width regardless of being a 45 or a 50.
45 or / 50 is the percentage of vertical sidewall versus horizontal width. thus a 50 is a taller sidewall than a 45.

On my previous B6 Avant on 17x7.5 rims I ran 235/40 so Yes you'll be fine with a 45 or 50 but do realize the taller the sidewall, the less steering response.
personally i prefer a lower side wall for both feel and response. As far as unfriendly roads... Well you have to drive accordingly, slow down, leave enough space between you and the next car so you can see the road ahead. Drive around potholes and potentially wheel disastrous obstacles. Just because you have a taller sidewall isn't going to mean that damage doesn't occur, your wheel may not get deformed but be assured those impact forces will get deflected to control arms and suspension components.

Not sure what you are asking here. US roads for the most part have been neglected for years.

235/45-17

What I have on my A4 (on 17x8.5 wheels).

Spacing out will allow 235/45-17 fitment. Usually rubs in the rear, inside against the upright. Spacer will fix. 5mm is probably about right, but you should take your own measurements to be sure. Might want more to suit taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're looking for a more compliant tire to help deal with the bad roads. Even within a given aspect ration, be it 45 or 50, there are huge differences in sidewall stiffness. What you gain in compliance, you'll lose in steering response. One tire with softer sidewalls is Conti (DW or DWS)... read the reviews on Tire Rack to get a better perspective. There are also significant differences in tread width and tire weight for the same aspect ratio. A wider tread and lower weight is usually more compliant. You can also adjust somewhat with air pressure.

I ran that size for a bit, I only got away with it because the rims had enough offset to clear the uprights, so it is possible if you want to make it fit.

FYI OP, 225/50/16 is stock sport tire size so it'll work just fine.

Great answers. The North East is just sucks for anything with a tire that has somewhat of a low profile. I am going to stick with the same sidewall "45" because I do not want to sacrifice handling. Its hard to find a tire that does it all. I had the purecontact Conti's and a blew them out hitting massive potholes last winter [=(] Now I am rocking two different brands on my B5 [:D]. I might just go with a rear spacer like walky mentioned and go a plus size "235" width. It could help with protecting the rims as well.

Two new questions. Do you guys have dedicated winter tire that can clear the A8/TT big brake swap? Also what would you guys recommend as a "do-it-all" tire. Decent sidewall for the summer/winter, good traction in snow, and decent handling in the summer. I was looking at the conti's DWS but I haven't had great luck with it since I ruined 2 out of 4 that was on the car. [mad]

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 11:39 AM
You can still run the stock 16's with the A8/TT setup, you might need to grind down the caliper a bit to clear the wheel weights but it'll work fine apart from that. I'm gonna put winters on my 16's this season and run 17's in summer, not a fan of all seasons.

2Manyprojects86
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
The PO of my car stuck some 275/40/17 on mine in the back. Its so stupid.

SN95Audi87
11-21-2014, 12:38 PM
You can still run the stock 16's with the A8/TT setup, you might need to grind down the caliper a bit to clear the wheel weights but it'll work fine apart from that. I'm gonna put winters on my 16's this season and run 17's in summer, not a fan of all seasons.

Can these wheels clear the A8/TT Big brake upgrade?
http://www.luxuryautosac.com/parts-cars/640x480/005008-wheel.jpg

The PO of my car stuck some 275/40/17 on mine in the back. Its so stupid.

Lol. That is the tire I run on my mustang.

Mad Cow
11-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Can these wheels clear the A8/TT Big brake upgrade?

All OEM 16's will work, those are the same ones I run.

SN95Audi87
11-21-2014, 01:18 PM
All OEM 16's will work, those are the same ones I run.

Well when I had got a flat last year from hitting deep pothole, I tried putting on my spare. OEM 16" I believe it was thick spoke wheel it wouldn't clear my brakes. What is the difference? They looked like this. Are these 15" if they are now I know why.

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2001_audi_a4_1_8t_quattro_light_silver_metallic_in _portland_oregon_8510004413885469528.jpg

MetalMan
11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Well when I had got a flat last year from hitting deep pothole, I tried putting on my spare. OEM 16" I believe it was thick spoke wheel it wouldn't clear my brakes. What is the difference? They looked like this. Are these 15" if they are now I know why.

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2001_audi_a4_1_8t_quattro_light_silver_metallic_in _portland_oregon_8510004413885469528.jpg

Those are stock non-sport 15" wheels.

moyenecorniche
11-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Two new questions. Do you guys have dedicated winter tire that can clear the A8/TT big brake swap? Also what would you guys recommend as a "do-it-all" tire. Decent sidewall for the summer/winter, good traction in snow, and decent handling in the summer. I was looking at the conti's DWS but I haven't had great luck with it since I ruined 2 out of 4 that was on the car. [mad]

I have been running 235/40/17 or 245/40/18 since 2008 and have only blown a tire once during a snowstorm when I thought I was hitting a snowball but it was a rock.
Not sure what you are doing but if you are destroying that many tires then you need to alter your driving to prevention mode.

Now there is no such thing as a full year round tire that excels in all conditions from wet to dry and below freezing to above 50F. For that to be true we would need a tire with an adaptable molecular structure. Not this year or near future.

Conti DWS's are one of the best All seasons out there but like all A/S they are a compromise.
At the moment I'm running Falken ziex all seasons. They are good but not great. In the wet they tend to slide without warning. Not good response concerning the S4.
I have run Conti DWS all seasons, good but they cannot equal dedicated summers as the Conti DW Extreme Contacts or for me the Michelin Alpin PA3 performance winter.
I have always preferred performance tires for summer and separate performance tires for winter.
With Quattro it's not about getting going but it is critically about being able to stop and most importantly high directional control. Thus why you need performance winters and separate performance summers.
Although judging from your pics, your car really isn't set up yet for high performance. Better handling will require suspension up[grades, as far as wheels such as 17x7.5 you should be able to find Avus B6 sport wheels for relatively cheap.
There is a place called Midwest that specializes in refurbishing OEM wheels.

This is all conjecture but at this point a Top of the line all season may be your best option.

$teady$upreme
11-22-2014, 05:51 PM
235/45/17 on those b6 sports wheels, that's exactly what i have on for winter now.

SN95Audi87
12-12-2014, 06:34 AM
I just bought Modas 17x8 winter rim/tire setup. The setup is 245/45/R17, are these tires to big for my B5? Will I rub the uprights in the rear of the car and will I compromise turning radius and rub on the upper control arms if I put them on? I am on stock suspension, no drops no anything....

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/393701-Anybody-running-245-45-17-s I found this thread interesting...

Davdraco1
12-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Space them out?

SN95Audi87
12-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Space them out?

Idk. I would like to get a clear answer before I buy spacers. I dont even know where to start and what "MM" I should buy.

Davdraco1
12-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Look up how to measure for new rims. It's quite easy.

moyenecorniche
12-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Look up how to measure for new rims. It's quite easy.

link

http://www.willtheyfit.com

coolgraymemo
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
I just bought Modas 17x8 winter rim/tire setup. The setup is 245/45/R17, are these tires to big for my B5? Will I rub the uprights in the rear of the car and will I compromise turning radius and rub on the upper control arms if I put them on? I am on stock suspension, no drops no anything....

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/393701-Anybody-running-245-45-17-s I found this thread interesting...

They will most likely be too large.

Seriously, bolt one up to see how it fits. Some tires run wide, others run narrow.

Use washers and test to see how wide the spacers will be for them to fit.

There's only so much spoon feeding we can do.