PDA

View Full Version : Broken pins in CLP

JaysA4
11-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I had two pins corrode and break off into the small black plug on the central locking pump harness. Any tips on getting them out? http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/17/e33aebdf8693898b97ae3cbcef5b500f.jpg

walky_talky20
11-17-2014, 10:46 AM
How about a really strong magnet?

JaysA4
11-17-2014, 10:51 AM
How about a really strong magnet?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/17/8a1bc8c198c3bb8bef8dab6687a6a4a0.jpg

Am I missing something like super simple here lol? They're wedged in there pretty nicely.

Mad Cow
11-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Try pushing them out from the back, I don't know what style pins are used on that connector but they should have enough empty space in the centre to fit something like a needle.

JaysA4
11-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Try pushing them out from the back, I don't know what style pins are used on that connector but they should have enough empty space in the centre to fit something like a needle.
Thanks, that did work, but before I started I took the casing surround off. This happened. Do you know exactly what these little terminals are called? I obviously need to do re-do all of them now. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/17/72808e70bb40efd6d82e3ccabb997670.jpg

BaseDrifter
11-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Jays, I have plenty of those terminals laying around from my wiring projects. If you would like me to mail you some let me know. Otherwise you could grab a new plug from a junkyard and splice it in, that whole connector looks pretty bad. Water damage?

Mad Cow
11-17-2014, 01:52 PM
You'd be best off splicing in a good condition pigtail, it looks like nearly every pin is damaged and corrosion doesn't stay at the pin so the next few inches of wire won't be useable anyway.

JaysA4
11-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Jays, I have plenty of those terminals laying around from my wiring projects. If you would like me to mail you some let me know. Otherwise you could grab a new plug from a junkyard and splice it in, that whole connector looks pretty bad. Water damage?

You'd be best off splicing in a good condition pigtail, it looks like nearly every pin is damaged and corrosion doesn't stay at the pin so the next few inches of wire won't be useable anyway.

Thanks guys. Called all the junkyards in a 100 mile radius, found 1 99 A4 and a 98 and 99 Passat so hopefully they have one. I hope the A4 is in decent condition because I still need a driver side door and mirror, and the seat bottom lol. I've called them dozens of times and they never have anything. Unfortunately, I live in redneck land ha.

JaysA4
11-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Yes, water damage, my whole circuit board was covered in corrosion and mold lol. I cleaned it up and re-soldered a lot of the pins but no windows, freaky dash lights, and no remote functions are still present lol i.e. the new pump haha. Thanks again brother.

xalents23
11-17-2014, 03:38 PM
I was looking at those terminals recently and ECSTUNING has them. I think they are the right size.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/962885-1/ES2207797/

Mad Cow
11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
I was looking at those terminals recently and ECSTUNING has them. I think they are the right size.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/962885-1/ES2207797/

Christ that's expensive, $1.30 per terminal is just unreasonable, I mean it's cheap all things considered but come on. You can get them for free from other connectors on the car, I know for a fact my ECU has at least a dozen of those terminal without wires, and those are probably the most common terminal so you could get them from half of the connectors in the car. But again, there's no use in just replacing the terminals because of the corrosion, you'll get a bad connection no matter how well you crimp it, and forget soldering it just won't stick.

BaseDrifter
11-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Like I said, for anyone who needs contacts like that, I have plenty of them laying around with 2-3" of wire attached. Just need to solder them in.

JaysA4
11-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Ok, so if I find a good pigtail at the junkyard what is going to be the best way to splice them back in. Should I solder them, the wires are seriously tiny and I'm not a soldering expert. Or would crimping suffice, it sure seems a lot quicker and hassle free.

xalents23
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Soldering them on is your best bet for a good connection. But do what works for you.

JaysA4
11-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Sooo, I was being lazy, my fingers and toes were freezing, I just went ahead and twisted and crimped the new pigtail and harness in. Everything works! Thanks again for the pump Drifter. Also, Mad Cow you were right about the corrosion moving up the wires, probably cut about 8 inches down before I got good looking wire again. Thanks for all the help guys.
On a side note that "1 junk a4 in 100 miles" turned out to be an almost mint Melange Avant (my color/worst color ever) so I'll be heading there tomorrow to get the driver side door and fender. What's the chances huh haha.