longms
11-17-2014, 06:10 AM
I have narrowed my search to get back into the Audi game between:

Model: 2001 Audi A6 4.2L
Price: $2800
Mileage: 114,000
Exterior: Silver
Interior: Black
Recent Repairs: a new mass air flow sensor, new fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, starter, water pump, timing belt and thermostat. The tires have over 60% tread remaining. New brakes were recently installed.
The bad: Needs a new torque converter
Condition: Body looks to be in great condition as does the interior. I am very comfortable with how well this vehicle has been maintained. The only concern is the torque converter.

Model: 2001 Audi A8 4.2L
Price: $3999
Mileage: 155,000
Recent Repairs: Brend new brakes and tires all around
The bad: Maintenance that should have been done is not known. I am in the process of running a carfax
Condition: Body looks to be in great condition in and out.

I am torn between the two. I understand that both will come with their maintenance costs but have seen more horror stories with the A8. This vehicle will serve as a fun family hauler that will be used for a 4 mile drive to school and for when we have to take family trips. We only have one child currently. I really only need the vehicle to last 3-4 years but the longer the better.

Thanks for your input.

v8a6
11-17-2014, 06:38 AM
Mechanically, their major components are quite similar or even the same. One wont be anymore to maintain than the other, based on their original design.

The A6 is cheaper, better maintained, lower mileage, and IMHO looks better with the widebody fender flares. I would go for the A6, and try and get it for $2k. Make sure you have some money aside for either of these cars in case you run into a transmission problem. The transmissions in either can lose reverse, or randomly blow up, at any second.

Good Luck!

v8a6
11-17-2014, 06:47 AM
I have narrowed my search to get back into the Audi game between:

Model: 2001 Audi A6 4.2L
Price: $2800
Mileage: 114,000
Recent Repairs: a new mass air flow sensor, new fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, starter, water pump, timing belt and thermostat. The tires have over 60% tread remaining. New brakes were recently installed.
The bad: Needs a new torque converter
Condition: Body looks to be in great condition as does the interior. I am very comfortable with how well this vehicle has been maintained. The only concern is the torque converter.

Whoops, just noticed that you already have transmission issues with this one. That is good, actually, because you can get it for less and fix it yourself with something new. You should be looking at paying somewhere around $1000 for the car. In general, people don't pay much for a 14 year old audi with major problems. For $2800 it should be running perfectly.

I would definitely go for the A6, but take your time and get it for around a grand.

Klum00
11-17-2014, 06:48 AM
I agree with this ^^^^^^

But, the D2 is just so pretty... https://beautifulaudis8forsale.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/s8-side.jpg

longms
11-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I am really torn on this right now. I am not even sure the A8 will fit in my garage. The A6 would fit the bill perfectly but the price of the torque converter repair and any potential tranny problems down the road scare me. Anyone with torque converter experience please chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk