PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein Interior + New steering wheel content (USP)

biketsai
11-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Wanted to share some pics of my newest interior mod

B6 USP steering wheel + B5 RS4 airbag harness ($50 from ECS). Total cost was $200. Took about 5-10 mins to install the entire setup. The B5 RS4 harness was used because the B6 harness uses 2 rows while the B5 is one row. I figure I'd rather save the time and possible injury and just buy the correct harness instead of splicing my old one.
My interior consists of B5 S4 dash and doors, S4 sport alcantara seats, S4 instrument cluster, USP steering wheel.

Before:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/Mobile%20Uploads/1416084592_zps0dad83e6.jpg

After:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/Mobile%20Uploads/1416084515_zpsd4081be0.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions about the parts, install, etc.

GrapeBandit
11-15-2014, 01:02 PM
meh. not a fan of the airbag and no emblem on the wheel. honestly the before wheel is better. should have just gotten the steerimg wheel you had with no tip controls.

dont like the plastic looking airbag. same goes for when ppl put the flat bottom wheel in their b5, the airbags look like plastic and doofy. but thats just me.

B5A4coastie
11-15-2014, 02:14 PM
I like your seats.

A1 A2 German
11-15-2014, 03:12 PM
meh. not a fan of the airbag and no emblem on the wheel. honestly the before wheel is better. should have just gotten the steerimg wheel you had with no tip controls.

dont like the plastic looking airbag. same goes for when ppl put the flat bottom wheel in their b5, the airbags look like plastic and doofy. but thats just me.

You're not a fan of anything.

Nothing is up to your par.

Nothing is good enough.

Nothing is sweet.

Nothing is liked.

Nothing is fantastic.

Nothing is awesome.

Nothing is a great idea.

Nothing is clever.

Nothing is worthy of getting props.

Nothing is impressive.

Nothing is worthy.

Nothing is bad*ss.

Nothing is worth the time.

Nothing is worth the energy.

Nothing is worth the money.

Said...every thread ever to be visited by Grape Bandit ever.

coolgraymemo
11-15-2014, 03:18 PM
I like the USP steering wheel. Reminds me of B5 RS4 air leather wheels.

I wouldn't mind installing one if I could find it for a cheap price.

Nothing is good enough.

Nothing is sweet.

Nothing is liked.

Nothing is fantastic.

Nothing is awesome.

Nothing is a great idea.

Nothing is clever.

Nothing is impressive.

Nothing is worthy.

Nothing is bad*ss.

lol

GrapeBandit
11-15-2014, 03:23 PM

Nothing is good enough.

Nothing is sweet.

Nothing is liked.

Nothing is fantastic.

Nothing is awesome.

Nothing is a great idea.

Nothing is clever.

Nothing is impressive.

Nothing is worthy.

Nothing is bad*ss.

lol. ill tell you what im a big fan of, bedliner and plasti-dip, and that $800 intake manifold you are trying to sell on vortex[up]

A1 A2 German
11-15-2014, 04:02 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/fan-3_zpswhbq808h.jpeg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/fan-3_zpswhbq808h.jpeg.html)

Gumby
11-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Looks great, Chris. I'm a big fan of the sport seats.

I run a wood euro allroad wheel, which uses a b6 style airbag. I found that a c5 airbag harness wil plug into the b6 airbags, and only requires two spade connectors spliced in for the horn wiring. That's probably an easier/cheaper option then sourcing an rs4 harness.

BaseDrifter
11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
I like the perforated leather, I just wish the B6 airbag wasn't so smooth looking.

Hey Gumby, I remember seeing a picture of your wheel and it looked great, you mind posting it up for reference? And do you have a part number for it?

MarioR34
11-15-2014, 04:27 PM
I love it , second wheel is so much bether looking

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

GrapeBandit
11-15-2014, 04:33 PM
I like the perforated leather, I just wish the B6 airbag wasn't so smooth looking.

Hey Gumby, I remember seeing a picture of your wheel and it looked great, you mind posting it up for reference? And do you have a part number for it?
thats my point, the smoothness makes it look like plastic, and the silver ring around the audi rings is not so appealing either. guess we are all entitled to our own opinion though, and we do what we like to our own cars. otherwise we would all have the same car...lol...I like the perforated leather too, but without the emblem on the bottom it looks like something is missing. couple that with the airbag, it just looks plain jane. sorry, just my opinion. if nobody likes it, idc, just like idc if someone do3snt like a mod or something on my car. I wont pout over it or stomp my feet like a little baby.

link to gumbys steering wheel
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/562885-What-are-my-options-for-an-oem-steering-wheel-upgrade

Gumby
11-15-2014, 06:05 PM

I don't have the part number off hand, but it's out of an 05' allroad. There was an option for a euro b5 wheel in wood, which is a bit more common. I'm still the only person in the us I know of with this particular style wheel in a b5.

Grape posted a link with a picture of my wheel. But just about everything else in my interior is different now. I just put in gauged.ca gauge faces, I have different seats, shift boot, shift knob, and gloss black wrapped trim. I'll grab a picture tomorrow when it's light out, and post it.

biketsai
11-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I guess when you the about it, it does look very plain. The old wheel was getting scratched up and the leather was too smooth and ungrippable with my ashy ass hands (partially kidding). I like it, it feels great compared to the old wheel.

rodgertherabit
11-16-2014, 08:21 AM

Nothing is good enough.

Nothing is sweet.

Nothing is liked.

Nothing is fantastic.

Nothing is awesome.

Nothing is a great idea.

Nothing is clever.

Nothing is impressive.

Nothing is worthy.

Nothing is bad*ss.

[>_<]

wolfe2118
11-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Nothing is good enough.

Nothing is sweet.

Nothing is liked.

Nothing is fantastic.

Nothing is awesome.

Nothing is a great idea.

Nothing is clever.

Nothing is impressive.

Nothing is worthy.

Nothing is bad*ss.

I've noticed that as well and I'm only on here once a week!

Smittylube
11-16-2014, 09:45 AM
I see you have the iPod playing from the cassette? (Assuming IPhone or iPod ) I hated the sound of mine it was so bad I would use the earbuds.
I bought this kit $69 and it works great http://www.icarkits.com/cars/AUDI_A4_2001/P2AUDV1
Not really control from the radio but you can control music from the iPhone and charge it. Well worth the price IMO.
It is a dice unit audiovox bought them out.

Smittylube
11-16-2014, 09:46 AM
It plugs into the back of the unit. No cutting or splicing.

R490
11-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Love how that looks [drool]
Really gives the B5 an updated, newer look. Still love the old wheel, but that just gives it new life.

b5a4erik
11-17-2014, 03:45 PM
What color does you podi gauge illuminate?

biketsai
11-17-2014, 05:38 PM
What color does you podi gauge illuminate?

3 different settings. Currently I have it matching my s4 cluster. Red face with a white needle. For A4 clusters you could match it with a white face and red needle.

pbcrazy
11-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Personally I think that the wheel (and most b6+ parts) looks too 'luxury' to fit in the b5 interior. I have always thought Audi went away from some of the sportness of the b5 with the b6 especially in the interior, it's almost like an apple minimalist approach with its super smooth details and plain face.

redline380
11-17-2014, 05:50 PM
I like the USP wheel but the airbag portion of the B5 better. Solution: rewrap B5 wheel with perforated leather.