PDA

View Full Version : 3rd washer level sensor please help before I sell this car!!!!!

seiplentz
11-15-2014, 10:46 AM
I have installed 3 washer sensors in this car and the stupid light still wont go out. The first one I did ruin by using rainx. I tried cleaning the old one the second one. They appeared to work using an ohm meter to test them but the light still goes on. So I just bought a 3rd one and genuine audi fluid and it still goes on almost right after you start the car. I will pay someone with VAG-com to turn it off near philly.

Markie93
11-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Hey Man,

I have run into the same issue. Had one in my A4 and in my A6. What type of fluid are you using? If you keep using bad fluid, you will keep blowing sensors. The rain-x is some powerful stuff with a long lasting residue. When you refill it with different fluid, the rain-x from the side walls dissolves in the new fluid and ruins sensor after sensor. It is annoying but you just have to be patient otherwise you'll cause your self alot of time, money, and trouble over a little sensor.

Your best bet, (and I plan to do this too once I run out of fluid), is to run some warm soapy water through the lines and the tank, while driving (hoping to slosh it around). Maybe run a couple full tanks of warm soapy water to make sure. Then run a couple tanks of just normal water through there to make sure all the soap is gone as well (wouldn't want to fight fire with fire). Essentially you are just trying to clean all of the rain-x out, then clean the soap out. Then run your car through the car wash to get any unwanted soap off your paint (dish soap isn't good for paint). After your tank is all cleaned out, install the new sensor (Good thing is you shouldn't need to buy another sensor if you can use a wire brush and some warm water to brush the rain-x off the sensors.), and fill with some new fluid and you should be good. Keep in mind, I HAVE NOT DONE THIS YET. I recently just read that rain-x fluid is what causes the problems... so I am waiting until I use up all my current fluid to try this. So try it at your own risk.

Worst comes to worst, buy a new tank. The reason you keep blowing sensors is the rain-x coats them not allowing the electrical signal to flow through the wiper fluid from one contact to the other. So your ohm meter will say the sensor is good from the connector side, but you'll still get the annoying beep.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to shut off the sensor via vag com. Please let me know if this is any help to you.

In conclusion, you still have rain-x in the system that needs to be flushed out. Or you are using a non approved washer fluid. Clean it out and you should be good as new.

Thanks,
Jake (Markie)

seiplentz
11-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Hey man, Thanks for the reply and input. I did flush the rainx out. I ran water through the bottle was afraid to put anything else in it. I just have blue fluid from AutoZone in it right now and a new sensor and the light won't go out (the new sensor never touched rainx). It comes on a min or so after I start the car and doesn't go out. It does look there is a way to disable it in vag-com but I have to wait to sell my other car before I buy it.

c@@kieMonsta
11-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Hey man, Thanks for the reply and input. I did flush the rainx out. I ran water through the bottle was afraid to put anything else in it. I just have blue fluid from AutoZone in it right now and a new sensor and the light won't go out (the new sensor never touched rainx). It comes on a min or so after I start the car and doesn't go out. It does look there is a way to disable it in vag-com but I have to wait to sell my other car before I buy it.

Or maybe pull the fuse if there is one. I did for my TPMS system.

Markie93
11-24-2014, 07:37 AM
It still didn't go off?? I wonder if there is a way to reset it. Sorry that didn't help

seiplentz
11-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Alright so I found my problem with this. The ground to the sensor is no good. If I ground the red/brown wire the light goes out. I looked up the wiring diagrams in alldata and the ground connection comes from main sensor ground in the main wiring harness. Does anyone know where that ground point is in the car? I want to inspect it and make sure there isn't any other issues with it. I did have water in this car from a clogged drain so I want to rule out a corrosion problem.

nyquetinp94
08-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Can you tell me how you changed the sensor? Cause I am having the same problem and would like to try changing it before anything else.

Markie93
09-13-2015, 07:50 AM
The sensor is on the washer fluid Reservoir. On the A6, you have to turn your wheels to the left. This frees up the space on the rear of the front drivers side fender. Then you have to unscrew/peel back the inner fender liner to gain access to the bottom of the reservoir. The sensor should be visible. Then once you disconnect the wiring harness, the sensor pulls out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

nyquetinp94
09-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I have installed 3 washer sensors in this car and the stupid light still wont go out. The first one I did ruin by using rainx. I tried cleaning the old one the second one. They appeared to work using an ohm meter to test them but the light still goes on. So I just bought a 3rd one and genuine audi fluid and it still goes on almost right after you start the car. I will pay someone with VAG-com to turn it off near philly.

Do you have a how to change the sensor? because I'm trying to change mine just don't know how.

Markie93
09-27-2015, 10:30 PM
It just pulls out. Use a screwdriver to pry it out. What are you having troubles with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk