PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Nokian WRG3?

PearDog
11-14-2014, 03:31 PM
So, my Bridgestone Potenza RE970 tires couldn't handle the weather this week. Looking into some "performance" winter tires. Intrigued by the Nokian WRG3 tires. Anyone have any experience with them? Sounds like a good mix of winter performance and handling on dry, cold roads, which is perfect for the front range. Also considering the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 tires. Would love to hear your opinions on either tire. Snow and ice performance? Dry road performance? Noise? Tread Wear?

philthyphil
11-14-2014, 04:07 PM
I have heard great things over on the Touareg forums in regards to the WRG3 SUV tires. Nokian tires are hard to beat in any winter conditions.

mec
11-14-2014, 05:13 PM
hakka r2's

/thread

or blizzak ws70's

or some x-ice

PearDog
11-14-2014, 05:53 PM
hakka r2's

/thread

I know the r2's have a loyal following, but I'm not going that direction. To clarify, I'm down to either the WRG3 or the Primacy Alpin PA3. Hoping some locals have experience with one or the other, especially the Nokian since there are far fewer reviews online than there are for the Michelin.

pwest15
11-14-2014, 05:54 PM
hakka r2's

/thread

or blizzak ws70's

or some x-ice

Yeah! Totally buy my x-ice tires

pwest15
11-14-2014, 05:58 PM
I know the r2's have a loyal following, but I'm not going that direction. To clarify, I'm down to either the WRG3 or the Primacy Alpin PA3. Hoping some locals have experience with one or the other, especially the Nokian since there are far fewer reviews online than there are for the Michelin.

I run the Pilot Alpin PA3's on my s4 as of a week ago. So far acceleration and stopping is awesome on these tires. Like, really awesome. Better than my old Blizzaks. However, they don't do so well when you're turning from what I've found. They'll let you have quite a but of fun but you need to be aware of it.

Edit:
I run Pilot Sports as my summers and there is literally 0 sound difference between the two. It's pretty impressive.

If I had all of the options to choose from, I'd go Hakka R2's any day but I needed to buy what was in stock at Discount

Mcstiff
11-14-2014, 08:30 PM
So I actually have WRG3s on my 90 and have been driving on them all summer. As good as they were in the summer, I was really impressed with them in the snow Tuesday night. They were not as planted as straight up snow tires but very solid and controllable. This set is fairly old but I'll keep running them till they are shot and I don't see why they would not last the season.

PDX04a4
11-14-2014, 10:11 PM
I honestly don't know why you'd plop down the money for the WRG3 instead of spending just a little more per tire to get a decent true winter tire. There are not a lot of reviews on the WRG3 and the ones I did find on a quick search were not good in terms of snow and ice handling:

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Nokian-Wrg3-Asymmetric.htm

From the few reviews available it sounds like the WRG3's handle ok in terms of driving in the snow, but when it comes to stopping/braking.....not good. Quite frankly you cold probably run the spectrum of tires on a quattro car and be manageable in terms of driving in the snow, but that's not the point, the point is getting a tire that helps in the area where quattro AWD doesn't make much of a difference and that's stopping your car. Whey even take the risk? Spend an extra $100 and get a decent quality snow tire and you don't have to worry about your car ending up in a ditch, or the ramming the back of another car, or wrapped around a light pole because you couldn't stop.

mec
11-14-2014, 10:58 PM
I honestly don't know why you'd plop down the money for the WRG3 instead of spending just a little more per tire to get a decent true winter tire. There are not a lot of reviews on the WRG3 and the ones I did find on a quick search were not good in terms of snow and ice handling:

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Nokian-Wrg3-Asymmetric.htm

From the few reviews available it sounds like the WRG3's handle ok in terms of driving in the snow, but when it comes to stopping/braking.....not good. Quite frankly you cold probably run the spectrum of tires on a quattro car and be manageable in terms of driving in the snow, but that's not the point, the point is getting a tire that helps in the area where quattro AWD doesn't make much of a difference and that's stopping your car. Whey even take the risk? Spend an extra $100 and get a decent quality snow tire and you don't have to worry about your car ending up in a ditch, or the ramming the back of another car, or wrapped around a light pole because you couldn't stop.

this is the truth

Mcstiff
11-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Right. I should clarify that while I am impressed with them as a 4 season option, I would not buy them as a winter only set.

Docwyte
11-15-2014, 11:55 AM
I have the Hakka R2's and I'm happy with them so far. For my wife's SUV I plan on getting the WR's as I won't be running dedicated snows/summers on it.

PaperToast
11-15-2014, 01:23 PM
if it helps, i ran the WRg2's before and those rocked in the snow, on my xc70 and allroad
start, stop, rolling start, rolling stop, they could almost do it all
snow, ice, packed snow, packed ice, didn't matter

im suspicious that the reviewers didn't drive as much in the snow as we do here.

nokians are made in finland, where they actually teach drivers how to drive.

PearDog
11-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Not looking for a hardcore winter tire that gives up too much in terms of handling on cold, dry roads. We take the RAV4 to the mountains; the S4 is mostly limited to around town and highway driving, so that's why I'm looking at performance winter tires--80 percent of the S4 driving in urban winter conditions; no need to overcompensate with an R2 or equivalent. Just saw that the Nokian WRG3 earned Consumer Report's top rating for performance winter tires, so I'm leaning toward picking them up. Thanks for the replies, y'all.

PDX04a4
11-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Not looking for a hardcore winter tire that gives up too much in terms of handling on cold, dry roads. We take the RAV4 to the mountains; the S4 is mostly limited to around town and highway driving, so that's why I'm looking at performance winter tires--80 percent of the S4 driving in urban winter conditions; no need to overcompensate with an R2 or equivalent. Just saw that the Nokian WRG3 earned Consumer Report's top rating for performance winter tires, so I'm leaning toward picking them up. Thanks for the replies, y'all.

Again, winter weather doesn't know the difference between the mountains and the city, snow and more importantly ice can just as easily happen in the city. The problem is not handling on cold dry roads, the problem is handing on icy roads which are 100% guaranteed to happen given where you live. Everything I have read about these tires leads me to believe they have inferior handling and stopping capabilities when it comes to icy conditions. It's not about "overkill" when it comes to your rubber, it is about being prepared. You (and the rest of the people on this regional forum) live in a place where snow and ice are common for 4-6 months out of the year, our cars are more than capable of driving in the stuff, that is what quattro is for. What quattro is not for is stopping, that's where your tires come in to play. The WRG3 are not winter tires, they are all-seasons rated for winter conditions, a big distinction that needs to be made. With these tires you are going to be spending around $115-130 per tire, why not just spend an extra $15-20 a tire and get something you know will perform IF/when you need it to?

In my mind it's just not worth the risk with a tire like this, very few reviews on them and the ones that have been done are not complimentary of the poor condition stopping power.

philthyphil
11-17-2014, 10:01 PM
^ Let it go.

He asked for reviews on the tires that he is interested in. He doesn't want Blizzaks or Hakkas, he wants something that will feel more like a performance tire. These tires still have the severe service emblem and beat out a lot of "snow tires" in the comparisons I saw online.

Based on the reviews I've seen for the suv tires, I think they're a good fit for the OP. I was actually thinking of getting a set of these but found a screamin deal on some Blizzaks by chance.

boostedAvant
11-18-2014, 08:23 AM
WRG3's are a great option if you want an 'aggressive winter all season' type tire.

TimNGobbles
11-18-2014, 11:23 AM
I don't know if I would call the WRG3 a "performance tire." I like the idea of the WRG3 and looked at them a fair amount when I was debating what tires to buy for a different vehicle and I think these make a lot so sense for some folks. But when I see performance I think of a tire that should be comfortable at the handling limits, hard turns, higher speeds, aggressive driving etc.... Not sure if that is what the poster meant by performance.

Also if you are running two different tires /shrug, let us know how it turns out.

PearDog
11-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't know if I would call the WRG3 a "performance tire." I like the idea of the WRG3 and looked at them a fair amount when I was debating what tires to buy for a different vehicle and I think these make a lot so sense for some folks. But when I see performance I think of a tire that should be comfortable at the handling limits, hard turns, higher speeds, aggressive driving etc.... Not sure if that is what the poster meant by performance.

Also if you are running two different tires /shrug, let us know how it turns out.

"performance tire" relative to studless snow tires like the Hakka's and Blizzaks. There's only so much performance one can expect from a tire that will also handle winter conditions reasonably well. I'm under no delusion that WRG3s will be a high performance tire for summer, etc. I'm done running UHP all seasons, though--they're just not capable of dealing with low temps and snow. Basically, I'm going to run the Nokians in the winter and then switch to some max performance summer tires for the warmer seasons. I will let you know how it turns out, but it's not easy to find a set of WRG3s. Discount Tire is trying to locate a set for me, and A&J Tire Factory wants an arm and leg for them. I may have to order them from Simple Tire and then have my shop mount and balance them.

Mcstiff
11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Again, winter weather doesn't know the difference between the mountains and the city, snow and more importantly ice can just as easily happen in the city. The problem is not handling on cold dry roads, the problem is handing on icy roads which are 100% guaranteed to happen given where you live. Everything I have read about these tires leads me to believe they have inferior handling and stopping capabilities when it comes to icy conditions. It's not about "overkill" when it comes to your rubber, it is about being prepared. You (and the rest of the people on this regional forum) live in a place where snow and ice are common for 4-6 months out of the year, our cars are more than capable of driving in the stuff, that is what quattro is for. What quattro is not for is stopping, that's where your tires come in to play. The WRG3 are not winter tires, they are all-seasons rated for winter conditions, a big distinction that needs to be made. With these tires you are going to be spending around $115-130 per tire, why not just spend an extra $15-20 a tire and get something you know will perform IF/when you need it to?

In my mind it's just not worth the risk with a tire like this, very few reviews on them and the ones that have been done are not complimentary of the poor condition stopping power.
Try driving them. I had zero issues last Tuesday night driving from Longmont to Thornton (235/45R17s).

Try driving them. I was never left wanting over 5000 miles this summer. While, they are not track tires and the siping will squeal when pushed but at <7/10ths I would not say that they give up much. Granted, I don't know what the 90's, custom Bilstein & Ohlins, suspension is like with Pilot Super Sports but compared to my past Coupe Quattros on various rubber ('kook RS2s probably the best) they do not give much up on the street.

philthyphil
11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Saw this just now and thought of this thread, it's from Club Touareg.

When buying tires, keep in mind the local dealers. If you have a Michelin dealer close by, then lean towards the Michelin. If the Good Year dealer is around the corner, then I'd lean towards the Good year, etc. If you buy a fancy set of tires on-line, be prepared to wait for a replacement thru the mail if you blow one out...whereas the the local dealer might have one on the shelf for you if needed. Just a thought.

With that said, I'm only going with Nokian from now on. Bought a set for each vehicle (except the F-250). Both Touaregs are shod with Nokian's (WRG-3s on the 05 V-8 and Hakka R2 Winter tires on the 2012 TDI) and my GMC Yukon has a set of all-weather WRG2's

The WRG-3's and 2's are superior to the previous Michelin's. Not by a lot...but noticeable enough for me to go with the Nokian (even though the local Nokian dealers don't stock my size). But if I have a blowout, I have several vehicles to use whilst I wait for a replacement. The Michelin's were a very good tire for an all season...and I tested 2 sets of them in the Wisconsin winters. They are crap compared to dedicated winter tires of any brand, but admirable for a an all-season tire. I find the Nokian all-Weather superior to any All-season tires I've tested. Just as quiet and as good handling on dry roads, but noticeably better on snow and ice. I'm sold. (no affiliation to Nokian either, just real life experience).

So, short of a dedicated winter and summer set, go with Nokian WRG-3 All weather. There is no other all-season that will perform as well in the worst of the snow/ice/slush...and that's when you need the traction the most. All tires work OK in the dry.

It's snowing as I type this. Gee whiz, winter is early this year.

ichtus
02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Bump to an old thread.

Interested if anyone made the leap into all weather WRG3s and what they thought of them. I am considering picking up some WRG3s instead of a dedicated winter set. I have Nokian R2 on my A4, but looking at WRG3s for my other cars.

PearDog
02-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Bump to an old thread.

Interested if anyone made the leap into all weather WRG3s and what they thought of them. I am considering picking up some WRG3s instead of a dedicated winter set. I have Nokian R2 on my A4, but looking at WRG3s for my other cars.

Just saw that you bumped this. I went with the WRG3s and they're exactly what I was hoping they'd be. They're awesome in the snow and ice around town, but they deliver a nice ride with pretty good handling characteristics as well. They're no summer tire performance-wise, but they nearly match my old UHP all seasons. I drive fast on cold, dry highways, and they're just fine, and they put my old UHP all seasons to shame in water and snow. I'm very happy with the purchase.