PDA

View Full Version : Are B5's realy worth this much now?

sgt_g
11-14-2014, 11:53 AM
So the deal to buy back my old B5 fell through. I wasn't comfortable with the guys lack of communication and his unwillingness to send me pics of the interior. And sense I was going to be going out there on faith I just didn't feel like it was a good idea. So I have been watching the net for other options to buy and lately I have seen several come up for sale and Im not sure if I missed something but these prices seem really high to me.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4755874367.html

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4689685060.html

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4755437145.html

I'm in the process of picking up the third one but I am really wondering are the b5's really worth that much now?

R490
11-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Honestly, I'd say not really. The first two honestly seem a bit pricey. The last one is meh.

prizmatik
11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
The first link has some nice upgrades, but I feel all three are overpriced. I'm in southern California and B5's are ridiculously cheap. Look up the value on KBB.com to get a better idea.
By the way, out of curiosity, what price did you agree on for the 3rd link?

sgt_g
11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
He is keeping the wheels ( I have some BBS's I will use) and I'm trading him a bone stock 2004 chevy cavalier for it. The pics he sent show the pistons have a few small marks nothing to major and there are several bent valves. Planing to just get an AEB head. He has receipts for an engine re-build and some other stuff. He got it thinking he could fix it but realized quickly he was in over his head.

mpsmith
11-14-2014, 12:49 PM
First one seems about Ko4 or even a larger turbo. Second one, joke. Third, honestly priced.

JaysA4
11-14-2014, 01:02 PM
First is over priced, second is definitely over priced, third I'd definitely talk him down some.

GrapeBandit
11-14-2014, 01:06 PM
^kbb dont mean dick when you are buying cars. their #'s are way off. kbb #'s are only used as a bargaining chip when you are the buyer, buying from an uninformed seller. lol

6k+ for a b5 isnt out of their mind, some will pay. with that said, I know I could get 6k+ for my 1.8t, and it only has a tiny k04, but would I pay 6k for a b5, not a chance in hell

A1 A2 German
11-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Worth that much?

Don't take this the wrong way, but wtf just wheels and tires are well over $1,000 hell yeah that first one is worth it.

That first one is a great price, that's alot of car for that price.

It's the second one that is crack price with a V6.

Third one, well...it's in pieces.

Mad Cow
11-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Worth that much?

Don't take this the wrong way, but wtf just wheels and tires are well over $1,000 hell yeah that first one is worth it.

That first one is a great price, that's alot of car for that price.

Really? It's got a the full ebay exterior treatment, unnamed coilovers, exhaust and a tune. Even if it's mint that's not even a $4k car. You know you've run out of selling points when you put NGK plugs and downpipe studs in your ad.

suntzu
11-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Really? It's got a the full ebay exterior treatment, unnamed coilovers, exhaust and a tune. Even if it's mint that's not even a $4k car. You know you've run out of selling points when you put NGK plugs and downpipe studs in your ad.
Pmsl laughing at the downpipe studs thing too.

B5nDisciple
11-14-2014, 01:54 PM
I picked mine up for $4,600.00 six months ago with 83K on it (in Phoenix). Guy was asking $4400.00 but I offered him $200.00 more to hold it for a day (with deposit). I drove up there within 4 hours of him posting the add lol. A guy was going to drive from Vegas to buy it the next day so I really needed to move (he showed me texts on his phone when I got there). It was bone stock besides a MTM chip that the previous owner had no idea about (I found out when I went to flash it). It's a Quattro Manual with super perfect black leatherette interior and 8 out of 10 exterior. Just take your time and make offers equivalent to KBB. It really doesn't matter what they have done to those cars mod-wise unless people will pay for them. But I do agree that rims can change a cars value considerably like A1 A2 said.

Halfrican
11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
The first link has some nice upgrades, but I feel all three are overpriced. I'm in southern California and B5's are ridiculously cheap. Look up the value on KBB.com to get a better idea.
By the way, out of curiosity, what price did you agree on for the 3rd link?

KBB?

Good one.

badshovel
11-14-2014, 03:04 PM
First one seems about Ko4 or even a larger turbo. Second one, joke. Third, honestly priced.

That's exactly what I thought, too lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Seerlah
11-14-2014, 03:14 PM
^kbb dont mean dick when you are buying cars. their #'s are way off. kbb #'s are only used as a bargaining chip when you are the buyer, buying from an uninformed seller. lol

Read before on here from an insurance agent that KKB works in benefit for them, to try and give out as less money as possible. Not sure what really goes on behinds the scene.

But on topic, I would say supply and demand. Some cost more in other areas than others. Then there is the factor of it's worth what the buyer and seller thinks it's worth. My car is probably valued at $1,500 (didn't look it up, but might for sh*ts and giggles) if I was to look it up on KBB. Yeah, that sh*t isn't rocking.

GrapeBandit
11-14-2014, 03:19 PM
insurance payouts arent based on KBB. they use a system based on "fair market valve" and then pay out A.C.V.(actual cash value) based on what the cars condition was before it was stolen/crashed. the teicky part is proving to them how good of a condition your car was in before it was stolen/crashed.

Seerlah
11-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Never said "based". I said they work in favor for them...and I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

GrapeBandit
11-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Never said "based". I said they work in favor for them...and I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.
they also work in favor for me, when I go to purchase from an uninformed seller...lol...
I say "well based on kelly blue book, the car would be worth this much in xyz condition, and your car is less than xyz condition because this, this, this, and this is wrong with it. its going to cost me $ xyz to get it fixed, so ill give you this much____"..lmao

Seerlah
11-14-2014, 04:02 PM
And they can tell you to kick rocks. What's your point?

adam044
11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Some nice upgrades but I still find the first 2 over priced. Always Start high though and hope to get someone to bite so I can't blame them for the asking price. I did that with my last car and got $500 more than what I really should of. I'd keep an eye on the ad, he'll drop the price and then you'll have a lot more negotiating power because you know how long it's been listed for and that he wants it sold.

GrapeBandit
11-14-2014, 04:15 PM
And they can tell you to kick rocks. What's your point?

not always. lol...then I say, "you have my #, if you change your mind, you know how to contact me"..lol...I made some good buys, im good at negotiating. deals and desperate ppl are out there, you just have to keep your eyes peeled. sometimes you just get lucky too

viceprp
11-14-2014, 05:23 PM
NADA is what insurance companies use. I bought a truck work 14k on KBB, 12.5k through NADA but only paid 9.5k. Sister wrecked her car and got NADA value.

I wouldn't buy any of them. Mods don't add value, they add headaches and nightmares of the previous owners abusing them.

coolgraymemo
11-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Values on B5s are all over the place here.

Most are between $2500-4500.

Well kept examples fetch a premium and are sold quickly.

seanf86
11-14-2014, 05:30 PM
3rd one if you can get it for 1500-2000 would be your best bet if you can turn a wrench imo. I'd keep looking however for something a little more reasonable, for 6000 you can get into a decent b6

I just picked up an almost mint 2001 b5s4 for 2k a few weeks ago, my wifes 99 b5 2.8 I paid $900 18 months ago and my 97 1.8t with sport cloth and tons of work done I paid $1100 3 years ago.

A1 A2 German
11-14-2014, 05:31 PM
What Cool said.

That silver one, even in stock form, in great condition can fetch $4k and go quick....not alone get some goodies for an extra $2k.

RallyeBourne
11-14-2014, 06:37 PM
I listed mine for shits and giggles for $3,500. Had 9ne bite, guy wanted it bad, too. Didn't even want to negotiate, but had to sell his car first. But then he wrecked his car and insurance didn't give him enough to cover it. Oh well. I don't really wanna sell it anyways. Now that I fixed the hatch and are doing control arms this weekend, it would be $4k minimum.

JaysA4
11-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Just sayin, there's a B6 near me, 120k Quattro, ko4, kw's, fmic, exhaust, tuned, etc, 3SDMs, very clean. $6000. I see tons of B6s in the 5k range around me. B5s around me are rarely more than $3500-4000 tops mint condition.

Corrado_Guy
11-14-2014, 06:55 PM
You can't really use a lot of book values for cars because they are typically what a dealer would pay or what they are being sold at on average in auctions. Market value is the only way to do it because what an average price where I live would be different from one somewhere else. Unless you are willing to go to these other places you have to look at the prices in your area and bargain from that. I would not buy any of those cars, I want to tune so it would need to be either a 2001 with wideband or a 2000 which can easily be upgraded to wideband. Car three on the other hand really makes me wonder because it is all apart and all of sudden someone wants to give up then no thanks. I would not know what is missing and what is really wrong other than what the interested party is telling you so I would pass on that.

Mad Cow
11-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Just sayin, there's a B6 near me, 120k Quattro, ko4, kw's, fmic, exhaust, tuned, etc, 3SDMs, very clean. $6000. I see tons of B6s in the 5k range around me. B5s around me are rarely more than $3500-4000 tops mint condition.

It's funny you mention that, around here B6s are dropping in price but B5s are staying solid. In some cases you can actually get an early B6 for cheaper than a late B5.