PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about snub mount install

LA4
11-10-2014, 07:05 PM
There are TONS of tutorials on installing the snub mount on a 1.8T.

Some of them show taking the whole front bumper off and estimate 2 hours for install.
Some of them it's like 15 minutes just unbolting a couple allen bolts and sliding the new mount on.

Which one of them am I going to have to do for my B5? And why would anyone ever take off the whole bumper if you can do it the easy way?

Thanks in advance.

Turbo_B5
11-10-2014, 07:18 PM
You need to take the bumper off.

I followed this DIY http://www.goapr.com/support/snub_mount.pdf

Heres a tip for the snub mount install. I left the far back t30 bolts in but barely so you can lift the bottom of the rad support. I had no need to remove the 13mm bolts that Bolt the snub mount cage. I did however lift the rad support with a jack to take the weight off the snub before I tightened the bumper support bolts back up. I drained the washer fluid into a washer fluid container to pour back in after. The fluid supply disconects from the bumper easy with a quick connecting hose.

redline380
11-10-2014, 07:23 PM
You need to take the bumper off.

I don't believe he does. AEB uses a snub mount bracket bolted to the oil pan. Simply unbolt the bracket and everything should come out.

AWM on the other hand will need to have the bumper removed.

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 07:26 PM
I didn't specifically try, but I don't see how you could slip the cage down and off the snub mount without pulling the carrier support forward an inch or two. (AEB)

redline380
11-10-2014, 07:34 PM
I don't believe he does. AEB uses a snub mount bracket bolted to the oil pan. Simply unbolt the bracket and everything should come out.

AWM on the other hand will need to have the bumper removed.

Never mind. I think I am wrong. Cant remember what engine I was thinking of then.

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I mean it's worth a shot. But the cross brace/boost bar has a nub that sticks out an inch or so into the snub mount, and the snub mount sits 2 inches into the snub mount cage. I know I've heard of people slipping the mount in and out, I just don't see how.

redline380
11-10-2014, 07:38 PM
I mean it's worth a shot. But the cross brace/boost bar has a nub that sticks out an inch or so into the snub mount, and the snub mount sits 2 inches into the snub mount cage. I know I've heard of people slipping the mount in and out, I just don't see how.

No, I was thinking of a completely different snub mount where the cage is on the crossover bar and the mount is bolted to the oil pan. I'm starting to think I am going crazy cause I cant remember where I saw this

coolgraymemo
11-10-2014, 07:44 PM
No, I was thinking of a completely different snub mount where the cage is on the crossover bar and the mount is bolted to the oil pan. I'm starting to think I am going crazy cause I cant remember where I saw this

My brother's B6 has it like that.

walky_talky20
11-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Yep. B6 "AMB" has the design that's actually serviceable. But then the AMB went stupid with plastic t-stat and ridiculous PCV nonsense.

Every rose has it's thorn, I suppose.

LA4
11-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Okay, so all of the tutorials I saw with the brackets right on the side of the oil pan were for B6s. That makes sense now.

Thanks guys.

I didn't specifically try, but I don't see how you could slip the cage down and off the snub mount without pulling the carrier support forward an inch or two. (AEB)

This is the answer I was expecting, was just hoping maybe I was looking at it wrong. Ah well, then the bumper comes off.

viceprp
11-11-2014, 08:59 AM
I pulled mine without pulling the front bumper off. 058 here.

Corrado_Guy
11-11-2014, 10:30 AM
ATW (058 block), I've had it out with the bumper on the car. The snub mount bracket bolts to the plate that can be removed and then the snub mount can come out.

viceprp
11-11-2014, 10:34 AM
That's how I did mine.

redline380
11-11-2014, 10:37 AM
ATW (058 block), I've had it out with the bumper on the car. The snub mount bracket bolts to the plate that can be removed and then the snub mount can come out.

Yeah I forgot 058's have that plate. 06a engines do not, so I don't think there is any way around it for those engines

viceprp
11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Op is 058. He will be fine.

Mad Cow
11-11-2014, 04:56 PM
What do you mean? I have an 058 and I can't see how I could take the snub off without moving the lock carrier forward.

BaseDrifter
11-11-2014, 05:03 PM
I believe he's referring to unbolting the black bracket that the snub mount cage bolts to and ties in the left and right support bars.

At that point though it seems like it would be easier to just remove the bumper and slide the carrier forward to get it off.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p439/blkA4alb-3/A4%20B5/DSC07812_zpse786dda5.jpg

mysman
11-11-2014, 06:17 PM
AEB here with APR snub. Loosened the mounting bracket for maximum clearance. Cut the OEM bushing out. Heated the poly bushing in a microwave, greased it up and it slipped right in. No need to touch the bumper.

Mad Cow
11-11-2014, 06:27 PM
That's good to hear, I've been putting off swapping the stock snub back in because of the work involved. Might just try sometime soon since these vibrations are gonna drive me nuts when winter comes.

redline380
11-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Might just try sometime soon since these vibrations are gonna drive me nuts when winter comes.

It's already here in Minnesota! My hometown got a foot of snow yesterday.

Mad Cow
11-11-2014, 08:34 PM
It's already here in Minnesota! My hometown got a foot of snow yesterday.

Damn, I was walking around in a tshirt today. I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those winters that starts in January again.