PDA

View Full Version : facelift fog lights in prefacelift bumper?

audinewberton
11-10-2014, 03:26 PM
I want to know if there is a DIY or if someone knows if I can put facelift grilles/fog lights in a prefacelift bumper? Also, how can I wire these so I can use the stock fog light button? If possible, I would like to be able to run these independently without the headlights on. TIA

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 03:33 PM
The prefacelift bumper does not have the mounting tabs for the fog lights so you will have to make a bracket to mount them. The grille openings in the bumper are the same size though.

To run the fog lights off the stock button just cut the fog light wire going into the headlights and run it down to the fog lights.

See my DIY article here (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/554273-A4-B5-DIY-Prefacelift-independent-fog-lights) on converting prefacelift fog lights to work independently.

seanf86
11-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I did this on my 97 and 99 pre facelifts, all the tabs were there on my cars, just got the fogs and grilles from the wrecker, on each headlight harness I cut the white/gr wire and ran it down to the fog light on each side.

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Sean, the tabs were there on my 97 as well, but I assumed that that was because the bumper was replaced with a facelift one when the previous owner was in an accident. I had read that the prefacelift bumpers don't have the tabs, but I could be wrong.

seanf86
11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Sean, the tabs were there on my 97 as well, but I assumed that that was because the bumper was replaced with a facelift one when the previous owner was in an accident. I had read that the prefacelift bumpers don't have the tabs, but I could be wrong.

that could be, I am unsure if either of ours have been in an accident however I'm more certain my wifes 99 has been than my 97. Its always something to check out, every pre facelift I've seen in the wrecker has had the fog tabs as well.

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Good to know, that makes the job a whole lot easier.

GrapeBandit
11-10-2014, 04:31 PM
I dont think my pre-face bumper has tabs. if they do, theres no holes to put screws into. ill check in the morning and report back.

audinewberton
11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
I will also check my car tomorrow morning to see if I have mounting tabs. Would there be holes for the screws like GrapeBandit said?

BaseDrifter, where did you get that distribution block from that you have in your DIY, and how do you wire it to the 75x? Sorry for the questions. I suck at, and hate wiring projects LOL

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 05:08 PM
The mounting tabs on my car had holes already, I just bolted the fog housings into place.

I picked up the distro block from a local electronics shop. You don't need to use a block like I did, you can just run a wire from the 75x terminal post under the dash to the relay if you'd like. I'd stick a fuse in it though.

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I just checked my dad's prefacelift 99 and it does not have the fog light mounting tabs.

GrapeBandit
11-10-2014, 05:23 PM
The mounting tabs on my car had holes already, I just bolted the fog housings into place.

I picked up the distro block from a local electronics shop. You don't need to use a block like I did, you can just run a wire from the 75x terminal post under the dash to the relay if you'd like. I'd stick a fuse in it though.

im interested in that distribution block too. i have too many wires running to my 75x, it would be nice to have just one going to the distribution block.lol.

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 05:34 PM
If you guys really want one I could see about picking up a couple and reselling them. Trying to find something similar on Amazon now...

seanf86
11-10-2014, 06:59 PM
I just checked my dad's prefacelift 99 and it does not have the fog light mounting tabs.

Good to know, both mine must have been smacked at some point

walky_talky20
11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Again, nice work on the DIY, Base Drifter. Good Stuff.

I had to wire up an engine swap recently. A Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 into a sort of "rat rod" toyota truck. It wasn't my usual "integration" sort of engine swap where I figure out the existing electrical circuits, use what I can, and add a few things. There was no wiring in the truck at all. So I had to wire everything and even provide the fuse boxes, relays, etc. Pretty much an "engine only" setup with just a few accessories. I found during the process that almost all the available fuse blocks are chinese garbage nowadays. I wanted the good stuff, though.

I did find that you can still buy nice little fused distribution blocks on ebay that are still made in USA. Seems there is one manufacturer in Elkhart Indiana that is still making them. I like to buy whatever USA stuff I can. We make so few things anymore. They weren't much more than the parts store stuff and worked well for my application. I used one of each:

One main power supply block, with 6 fused taps:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HIGH-QUALITY-6-WAY-CIRCUIT-FUSE-POWER-BLOCK-MADE-IN-USA-150-AMP-/111487782037?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f5308c95&vxp=mtr

One with 6 separately circuited fuses:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-CIRCUIT-ATC-ATO-FUSE-BLOCK-W-SINGLE-CIRCUIT-BUSS-AND-BRACKET-SCB-6-/161477944280?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&hash=item2598d5e3d8&vxp=mtr

BaseDrifter
11-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks walky, appreciate that. I'm glad I made that write up because by this point I would've forgotten how to do it! Writing it down was as much for my own sake as for the community's. ;)

Those look like nice distro blocks, and smaller than the one I'm using.

GrapeBandit
11-12-2014, 05:50 AM
just checked my 99 a4, no fog mounting tabs either

demonmk2
11-12-2014, 09:37 AM
have any of you installed aftermarket fogs? and are happy with them?

garytightpants
11-12-2014, 03:44 PM
you could also grab the distribution box that sits on top of the battery in the MK4's