PDA

View Full Version : Slave cylinder won't go in that last 1/4 inch

dr_always
11-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Its exactly as you read here: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/389760-Slave-cylinder-help?highlight=Slave+cylinder The slave cylinder bolt hole won't line up to its hole in the transmission housing and is about 1/4" or less off. Tried everything.. crowbar.. swapping pushrods with the old cylinder.. putting transmission in 4th/5th gear. Of course I have the boot and hole in the transmission lubed up.

How the **** do you get this done??

Rodgman15
11-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Crack the bleeder screw?

Mad Cow
11-10-2014, 01:29 PM
It can be a serious PITA sometimes. I couldn't get mine in until I cracked the bleeder open a tad to let the fluid go out. I've also been successful with a screwdriver through the slave mounting hole and then lever-ing it in, once it's in place the back will be propped up against the transmission case and you can take the screwdriver out and put the bolt in.

dr_always
11-10-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't even have the hydraulic line hooked up as to releive any pressure which is the same thing that cracking the bleeder would do.

We tried the screwdriver method but there didn't seem to be anywhere to prop it against the transmission casing like you say. Keep in mind I'm working on a 96 2.8 and your sig says you have a 98 2.8, the parts changed slightly in 97. I'm not using the plastic cylinder that clips the hydraulic line in with a metal clip and you are.

I'll give the screwdriver method another go, though. I really can't think of much else to do other than maybe take out the axle (really don't want to do) or drop the transmission (REALLY don't want to do and shouldn't have to).

Mad Cow
11-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Are you running a stock clutch and throwout bearing? Are you sure the rod caught the divot in the clutch fork? It should go in easy with the hydraulic line disconnected.

dr_always
11-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Yep, stock clutch/flywheel and TOB.

No, Im not sure about the clutch fork and this is probably my problem. I've read several times that you should 'feel' the rod slide into the fork and I've yet to feel this after hours of trying. Would you mind doing your best to verbally (or however for that matter) illustrate how the two parts should mate together so maybe I can figure out where I'm going wrong?

Mad Cow
11-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Maybe stick a screwdriver or something in there to feel around first, shine a light if you have the room. It's hard to explain in words so here's some pictures:

This is the clutch fork:
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/140823_x800.jpg

The slave rod goes into that dimple on the bottom left.

This is the fork installed for reference:
http://www.a4mods.com/pics/clutch/adjustment/IMG_0743.JPG

dr_always
11-10-2014, 04:03 PM
That's a great, great help. From what I understand the clutch fork should be pressed against the transmission bell housing where the slave pushes against the clutch fork aka opposite ofn the end labeled 'pivot point'. Mine has no pressure pushing the clutch fork up against the inside of the bell housing and the only way for me to make the two meet is for me to put sticky grease on my finger and stick my finger into the clutch fork where the slave's pushrod should be and then pull the fork towards the housing. There is no pressure or spring tension there whatsoever. I haven't put much effort into pushing the clutch fork in by finger as it feels like there is either no room for travel or just way too much pressure for me to move by finger.

You may have to reread that before it becomes clear but once it does would you say its my slave cylinder or TOB that's faulty?

Mad Cow
11-10-2014, 05:14 PM
That's odd, I don't remember how mine was but I would guess it should be pressed up against the bellhousing a bit due to the return spring at the bottom of the fork. You definitely won't be able to push the fork with your finger, the pressure plate is way too strong for that. Maybe your TOB is sticking on its way back, but take that with a grain of salt since I don't know clutches very well.

ricekikr
11-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Grease the boot sometimes it gets caught in the hole.

M-Hood
11-12-2014, 12:50 PM
That's odd, I don't remember how mine was but I would guess it should be pressed up against the bellhousing a bit due to the return spring at the bottom of the fork. You definitely won't be able to push the fork with your finger, the pressure plate is way too strong for that. Maybe your TOB is sticking on its way back, but take that with a grain of salt since I don't know clutches very well.

Spring clip on the bottom of the fork is just to hold it to the pivot ball, he should be able to pull the fork toward the slave opening so there should be a little bit of play.