PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice..

Hecklah
11-09-2014, 09:44 AM
So I just traded a junk SUV with a lot of problems for a stock (I believe) 98 A4 B5 1.8t Quattro with 200,000.
It has a sticker until April 2015 (SUV sticker ran out) and drives fine although it needs a front bearing on the passenger side that is starting to go.
The heat blows Luke warm and the air-bag, ABS and break on the dash just stay lit when it's started. Is there anyway to manually reset these?

So like I said the car runs well and I need it to get me by for maybe a year but I don't wanna put too much money into it. Anyone have their dash lights on in the same situation? Should I just sell it since it has a sticker?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this.

Lee

Seerlah
11-09-2014, 11:41 AM
You need to fix those issues to make the lights go away.

Articus
11-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Well Lukewarm heat means a) air in the coolant system (can be bled out easily) or b) the heater core is clogged (run the other way [>_<])
-Sanity check: is your coolant pink?

ABS light would mean the ABS module is toast or it could just be a wheel speed sensor
Airbag light might just be loose connections under the seats.

You might want to get the fault codes read (Get them read). If you have trouble getting the codes read, try pulling the fuses for the ABS module. When the ABS light is on, if the ABS module is defective, it usually interferes with communication through OBDII port.

Lucky for you these are not random problems. It's common issues for a lot of owners and there are lots of answers on the forum.

You can turn the lights out with a VAGCOM cable but they will just come back on until the problems are fixed.

If you only need it for a year, can you live with the lights being on? That's the cheapest route. just don't go doing any extreme braking manouvers, and don't get into any accidents because you may or may not have ABS and airbags. Otherwise just sell it.

Davdraco1
11-09-2014, 03:26 PM
I had the same abs/brake light issue and swapped in a used abs mod I picked up for 50$ and had the code cleared. Worked, untill two wheel speed sensors went bad so my abs light is on again, but I have abs again.

Seerlah
11-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Check your brake fluid level too

Hecklah
11-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Such great advice Articus. I really, really appreciate it. I don't mind the lights being on as long as there's no problems. I'll check those things this Wednesday, I have literally had no time to even really check it out. I have never owned an Audi so it's all new ground for me but just browsing this site they seem like a passion for people. Thank You again everyone.

Davdraco1
11-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Just remember if those lights are on you will not have abs, and since you live in Maine, I would be weary driving without it in the snow....jut be careful