PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a b6 S4

S4Memphis
11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Some where I read that at this altitude its not worth getting a tune.. is that right?

mec
11-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Some where I read that at this altitude its not worth getting a tune.. is that right?

depends on how deep your pockets are.

Some might even say its not worth getting a tune on a 4.2 period. But if you've got the means for it, then what is a couple of benjamins to improve your driving experience?

Recone
11-04-2014, 11:25 AM
As a 2005 B6 S4 Avant owner I can tell you that it's worth the money ($500 from JHM) at altitude and worth a lot more at sea level. But the reality is, the car is just never going to be that fast up here on the dusty planes. My wife has a Revo tuned Golf R MkVI and there's no comparison - that thing is fast wherever you take it. However, when we take the S4 to California, it's a whole different story. It's instant torque, it's fast, it's fun and it feels 'right'. List of mods in my sig.

Aok303
11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
the 5 other S4 i know here in colorado are all happy with there tunes, Jhm and APR
Jhm has launch control

I have the 91 JHM and can tell the difference, Piggys and Faster cat back system which is the bare minimal for the JHm tune
It helped smooth things out and i get a bit better gas mileage, first gear is over quicker though

evildsmr
11-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I've got an 04 with an APR tune, APR dps and custom magnaflow catback. I'd say the tune is worth it. I have a 100 octane setting on my chip and that thing gets down when I have some extra money to throw the gas in there.

USAF Long
11-04-2014, 08:28 PM
I can't wait to take my RS4 down to California coast so I can see how it's supposed to feel.

My truck is about 1 1/4 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile at the altitude here. Really makes it a dog off the line, where at sea level it fucking jumps up and runs.

vdubjetta02
11-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Absolutly loved my JHM tune with my full 2.5" catless exhaust...... changed the car a lot

S4Memphis
11-06-2014, 05:44 AM
So next question is,,, where do I go for this? And is it usually right at $500?

naudinate
11-06-2014, 07:34 AM
THe JHM tune on the 4.2's is pretty awesome and worth the money. I haven't driven on here at altitude but back in California it was crazy the difference either way you will see some gains. .

Call JHM and ask for Dru.

vdubjetta02
11-06-2014, 08:07 AM
You have to atleast gut your Pre-cats to take advantage of the tune.... Which is a free Saturday afternoon mod.

Denker
11-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Got my JHM tune at Avalon. Good experience and worth the money to me as the improvement in throttle response alone is fantastic. My price was a bit lower due to a veteran's day sale but the price should be consistent.

DOCEVG
11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
My $0.02 is that a tune is definitely worth it, even on a NA engine at altitude. I have the JHM tune (from Avalon) on an RS4 (admittedly with full JHM exhaust also), and the difference is night and day, even over 11,000 foot+ passes. The car is transformed.
If that alone isn't convincing, I have a second RS4 which I bought and drove at sea level. It is not tuned. That car lost a lot of grunt and top end between sea level and 7500 feet, where its mostly driven now. And, in driving the two cars in sequence, there is a huge difference between the tuned and untuned car.

evildsmr
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
You have to atleast gut your Pre-cats to take advantage of the tune.... Which is a free Saturday afternoon mod.
Or he just buys my piggies from me [emoji38]

jimrobbington
11-06-2014, 12:46 PM
As others said, still worth it. You just don't get near as much power increase as you would from a turbo car. But there is so much more to a tune than power. JHM hands down has the best off the shelf tuning available. Yes, i have a 2.0t, but aside from power, there are so many improvements to daily drivability alone, it would still be worth it over having no tune at all.

Aok303
11-06-2014, 01:15 PM
if your doing JHM go to Avalon those guys are great

jimrobbington
11-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Or you can just borrow the cable from someone who has one and flash it yourself. Or you can buy the cable even. Or was that not offered with the S4 tunes?

B6_4.2
11-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Or you can just borrow the cable from someone who has one and flash it yourself. Or you can buy the cable even. Or was that not offered with the S4 tunes?

I vote he buys the cable.... So I can use it when I finally tune mine...

Aok303
11-06-2014, 03:44 PM
no it was offered, some have issues with the Home flash why waste the time and if there ever is an issue with the tune, Avalon looks at it instead of you smashing your head on your hood trying to figure it out
for all the other flashes ive seen more post on did something go wrong on the b6/b7s4 tune then any other unless it was someone doing a custom tune. and from watching i dont think anyone in colorado has the cable and was lending it out why pay the extra 150 for it

jimrobbington
11-06-2014, 03:50 PM
no it was offered, some have issues with the Home flash why waste the time and if there ever is an issue with the tune, Avalon looks at it instead of you smashing your head on your hood trying to figure it out
for all the other flashes ive seen more post on did something go wrong on the b6/b7s4 tune then any other unless it was someone doing a custom tune. and from watching i dont think anyone in colorado has the cable and was lending it out why pay the extra 150 for it
I've got the cable. Lol. I flashed my own JHM stage 1. The only difficulties i had were getting everything installed on my old crappy laptop that i needed for install. But the actual process was smooth and easy.

I vote he buys the cable.... So I can use it when I finally tune mine...

mec
11-06-2014, 04:27 PM
The other thing that comes into play in buying the cable vs going to a shop is how much you are supporting JHM.

If you go the a dealer you will probably be charged 120-150 for their time to install it, and they will walk away with a nice cut of the tune, and I do mean nice cut. So JHM get cut out and you end up spending the same amount.

If you buy the cable, or borrow from a friend, you spend the same amount or less if you borrow the cable ( some beer money for your friend), JHM ends up with a larger cut since the dealer is cut out, and the money gets reinvested into making more cool things, like limited rear slip diffs.

I vote borrow the cable or buy your own.

As far as customer support, Jake@JHM is quite the diagnosticator, And he is always around to help, even after business hours. Great guy.

evildsmr
11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm really unsure about this cable talk?? Please elaborate?

odoyle01
11-06-2014, 05:07 PM
JHM requires the use of a cheetah cable if you want to flash the software yourself. They sell the cable for $150 in addition to the software. The cable connects to the OBD2 port under the dash and then to a windows based computer. I have a JHM tune and I purchased the cable. I flashed the car myself in about 20 minutes. I'd gladly rent the cable out for much less than it costs to buy it or the shop labor Avalon will charge you for them to do the flash. I'm in the Broomfield area.

mec
11-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a good alternative to shop labor.

Aok303
11-06-2014, 06:35 PM
well looks like there is a few cables if you have the laptop and time then DIY in the Garage,
Jhm really does have a good web set up for it. some just had issues with getting it done more to the fact of internet timing out on there laptop or power issues which you can read about on there sites of requirements

jimrobbington
11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm in Parker and willing to help out for a few bucks.

S4Memphis
11-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Ok. So I do plan on doing a cat back this spring, , and it sounds like I have to gut my cats to? And do all this before the tune right? I'm kind of a newb when it comes to mods like this. So any help is appreciated!

mec
11-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm in Parker and willing to help out for a few bucks.

I believe that is the Motto for the union of prostitutes.

evildsmr
11-06-2014, 08:36 PM
JHM requires the use of a cheetah cable if you want to flash the software yourself. They sell the cable for $150 in addition to the software. The cable connects to the OBD2 port under the dash and then to a windows based computer. I have a JHM tune and I purchased the cable. I flashed the car myself in about 20 minutes. I'd gladly rent the cable out for much less than it costs to buy it or the shop labor Avalon will charge you for them to do the flash. I'm in the Broomfield area.
What'd I would be interested in possibly doing is flashing my own tune. Does this cable come with software for custom modification or an interface for doing so or what's the scoop on it? Download a zip file that jhm offers and simply flashing it through an interface? I'm familiar with vag com and using their gui and whatnot. Is this similar??

mmayhem
11-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Ok. So I do plan on doing a cat back this spring, , and it sounds like I have to gut my cats to? And do all this before the tune right? I'm kind of a newb when it comes to mods like this. So any help is appreciated!
You do not have to do anything before you get the tune. Everyone is only saying that you should do the exhaust as well so you get as much out of the tune as possible.

As for gutting the cats, the 4.2's have 4 cats total. Two pre-cats which are right at the top of the downpipe and the two main cats further downstream in the exhaust. The bare minimum you have to do with the exhaust is remove the downpipes so you have access to the pre-cats and then clear those out.

If your S4 is a tiptronic find someone with a lift and become their best friend as you won't be able to get the downpipes out due to the transmission if trying to use jack stands/ramps. You will need to be able to leverage the transmission from side to side in order to get the downpipes out. If you have a manual then it will be quite easier to get done.

I wouldn't bother with the main cats if you live in an area where you need to do emissions as it will very tough to pass without them.

Aok303
11-06-2014, 11:52 PM
thought the JHM says you need piggys at a min for there tune
Im sure it just means you will get an Checkengine light on
it's the pre cat o2 was the issue and tune of course takes them out of the reading not 100percetn sure though

jimrobbington
11-07-2014, 04:28 AM
What'd I would be interested in possibly doing is flashing my own tune. Does this cable come with software for custom modification or an interface for doing so or what's the scoop on it? Download a zip file that jhm offers and simply flashing it through an interface? I'm familiar with vag com and using their gui and whatnot. Is this similar??
You log in to their vpn with their software, and you literally click on the tune and dialed it to the car. There is no modification available. Just install and forget it.

Denker
11-07-2014, 09:19 AM
The other thing that comes into play in buying the cable vs going to a shop is how much you are supporting JHM.

If you go the a dealer you will probably be charged 120-150 for their time to install it, and they will walk away with a nice cut of the tune, and I do mean nice cut. So JHM get cut out and you end up spending the same amount.

If you buy the cable, or borrow from a friend, you spend the same amount or less if you borrow the cable ( some beer money for your friend), JHM ends up with a larger cut since the dealer is cut out, and the money gets reinvested into making more cool things, like limited rear slip diffs.

I vote borrow the cable or buy your own.

As far as customer support, Jake@JHM is quite the diagnosticator, And he is always around to help, even after business hours. Great guy.

JHM does not get "cut out" by a dealer when you use them. I paid Avalon $60 iirrc for the half our or so it took to load the software. They did not take anything from JHM as the cost of the tune was paid directly to JHM and was subject to a sale price that only JHM offered. I'm all about your thought of giving my money to those that deserve it so I want to point out that in this instance, you are not going to "harm" JHM by using Avalon. AFAIK they are the only dealer that does the flash out here and was sent there by 3zero3 when they said they didnt offer it.

Getting a REVO tune at 3zero3... that is an instance where your concern is valid about who gets what.

mec
11-07-2014, 09:25 AM
JHM does not get "cut out" by a dealer when you use them. I paid Avalon $60 iirrc for the half our or so it took to load the software. They did not take anything from JHM as the cost of the tune was paid directly to JHM and was subject to a sale price that only JHM offered. I'm all about your thought of giving my money to those that deserve it so I want to point out that in this instance, you are not going to "harm" JHM by using Avalon. AFAIK they are the only dealer that does the flash out here and was sent there by 3zero3 when they said they didnt offer it.

Getting a REVO tune at 3zero3... that is an instance where your concern is valid about who gets what.

Yes they do....I've personally spoken with them about it, dealer fee comes out of the tune price, dealer usually also charges the customer. Maybe Avalon isn't a dealer with a "contract" but to the other 99% of dealers, they make money from the tune and from install

Denker
11-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Avalon must not have a contract then because I paid for the tune and then paid the labor to Avalon separately, hence why I said "in this instance" and not "every time." Probably should have been more specific at the beginning of my post as I was just referring to going to Avalon. My mention of Revo and 3zero3's arrangement was to further illustrate that I'm aware of what you're talking about, but JHM and Avalon don't seem to have this arrangement.

Either way, you and I are in agreement with our belief that JHM should be fully compensated for their work on the platform and the shop should only be compensated for the role they played in installing the product.

Jake at JHM told me that they don't make any money off the cable as it's APR's cable and they only offer it for the convenience of their customers. It's also why he's stated that renting them out to others or selling them doesn't bother them in the slightest. So, buying the cable supports APR, not JHM if you want to get specific. I felt it was not only more cost effective but also more meaningful to support a local business rather than APR.

Aok303
11-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Denker is right avalon charges JHM prices which is on the website and then 1hour labor to install you can catch when jhm does a sale and its cheaper or if Avalon does a labor sale and its cheaper
but avalon does not get a cut out of the tune price just the install,

mec
11-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Avalon must not have a contract then because I paid for the tune and then paid the labor to Avalon separately, hence why I said "in this instance" and not "every time." Probably should have been more specific at the beginning of my post as I was just referring to going to Avalon. My mention of Revo and 3zero3's arrangement was to further illustrate that I'm aware of what you're talking about, but JHM and Avalon don't seem to have this arrangement.

Either way, you and I are in agreement with our belief that JHM should be fully compensated for their work on the platform and the shop should only be compensated for the role they played in installing the product.

Jake at JHM told me that they don't make any money off the cable as it's APR's cable and they only offer it for the convenience of their customers. It's also why he's stated that renting them out to others or selling them doesn't bother them in the slightest. So, buying the cable supports APR, not JHM if you want to get specific. I felt it was not only more cost effective but also more meaningful to support a local business rather than APR.

I would definitely pay someone in beer to just borrow their cable. People do that all the time with me and VCDS.

Audiziner- "Hey can you code this for me this weekend, I've got some fresh squeezed IPA"

Me - "Fresh squeezed IPA??? Nooooooo my only weakness! alright swing by around noon."

Recone
11-09-2014, 03:25 PM

I second this. Avalon is the way to go.