PDA

View Full Version : Down shifting with paddles?

S4V8
11-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Wondering how many of you that use the paddles often, actually down shift the car back into first gear when coming to a stop? I know that the transmission will automatically do this for you but I am still an old school stick shift guy and tend to want to do it myself.

Anyone do the same or, do you just let it go after 2nd and have it automatically done?

Johnhanson
11-04-2014, 09:43 AM
I always thought I was "old school" and would never buy an "auto". Then my stupid RS5 came along.

Interesting, I think like you, but I do not shift into first - only to second. A coouple reasons - first is that like in my "old school" cars I never shifted into first while rolling - even on the track. On the track I'm not a good enough driver to overcome the shift time versus the small loss of power from holding second on tight corners. On the street I just hated the feel of having to shove it into first (maybe there are smoother transmissions out there than the G35's that could accomodate that easier). The other reason is I find the RS5 shifts into first nicely when it needs to be revved (ie second at >3.5k rpm) but tends to clunk a bit when lower.

Also, I prefer using the gear lever to switch gears over the paddles. Makes me feel more old school I guess.

MacFady
11-04-2014, 10:20 AM
+1, I rarely shift into first when coming to a stop even with a traditional manual.

S4V8
11-04-2014, 11:13 AM
+1, I rarely shift into first when coming to a stop even with a traditional manual.

Your right. The more I think about it, I never down shift into 1st until the car is fully stopped.

Had to think that one through...lol. Thanks guys!

Beast
11-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I do all the time to hear those downshifts with the sports exhaust, turns heads

Brava
11-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I do it too, for the downshift exhaust noise. [:D]

rasetsu
11-04-2014, 02:23 PM
I do all the time to hear those downshifts with the sports exhaust, turns heads

I do it too, for the downshift exhaust noise. [:D]

Ditto!

Runge
11-04-2014, 03:10 PM
same. usually only drop it from 2nd to 1st around 3000rpms or else when it drops to 1st, revs are a little high. But you sure do get the looks. Also nice to drop it down to 1st to burn the red lights/etc to save on the brake wear and tear.

dazed1
11-04-2014, 04:21 PM
same. usually only drop it from 2nd to 1st around 3000rpms or else when it drops to 1st, revs are a little high. But you sure do get the looks. Also nice to drop it down to 1st to burn the red lights/etc to save on the brake wear and tear.

Transmissions are cheaper than brakes?? [confused]

I drop it to 2nd only. Let it downshift to first on its own.

superswiss
11-05-2014, 12:55 AM
I never downshift to first, unless I'm coming up on a hairpin. When driving casually I downshift to third when coming to a stop. When driving aggressively I downshift to second. The automatic downshift to first when coming to a stop is a clutch in downshift just like you would do yourself in a manual car. It's much smoother than downshifting yourself, which will let the clutch out while you are still rolling.

milesed
11-05-2014, 11:50 AM
I do usually to hear it as others have said.

2011_S4
11-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I never downshift to first, unless I'm coming up on a hairpin. When driving casually I downshift to third when coming to a stop. When driving aggressively I downshift to second. The automatic downshift to first when coming to a stop is a clutch in downshift just like you would do yourself in a manual car. It's much smoother than downshifting yourself, which will let the clutch out while you are still rolling.

Same here.

antoff83
11-07-2014, 10:40 AM
I never shift to 1st.. thinking to do that when in 4500-5000rpm though[evilsmile] jk

S4V8
11-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I never shift to 1st.. thinking to do that when in 4500-5000rpm though[evilsmile] jk

ZING!

That would sound cool, but would hurt for sure...lol

LINDW4LL
11-10-2014, 12:55 AM
Transmissions are cheaper than brakes?? [confused]

I drop it to 2nd only. Let it downshift to first on its own.
I don't think downshifting puts much/any wear on the RS5's clutches since it has rev matching. The clutch isn't really slipping at all, it's a near instant engagement. Not to mention that DSG clutch packs are basically a lifetime item.

That's not to discredit your comment though as you do have a valid point on brakes being cheaper than clutches [:)], just pointing out that clutch wear isn't an issue on the RS5.