PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on oil leak

redline380
11-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Since I am going to parking my car for the winter, I plan on getting as much maintenance done as I can. I didn't want to put it into service position, but with all the plans I have, I might as well.

So, since it will be in service position, I will have easy access. It seems that oil is leaking out of the exhaust manifold near #4 cylinder. The top of the manifold is dry in that spot, so it isn't leaking from above. However, the bottom of the manifold is dripping. It just doesn't make sense because you'd think all the oil would burn off, but it is consistently present. Also, how can oil leak from the manifold? Shouldn't the gasket stop it from leaking? Last spring I replaced a bunch of manifold studs with a new gasket, so it should have sealed up nicely. Maybe the leak isn't coming from the inside of the head?

My only thought is that I have a leaky valve stem seal in #4. I do get plenty of smoke, but only after pushing the engine to top of 3rd gear. If I do seals in that cylinder, I might as well do them all. The head has an unknown amount of miles. I really wanted to hold off until I have enough money to just build the head since it is all stock, but I would like to get rid of the leak. If I am taking the head off and apart, I might as well change to a non-vvt tensioner too.

MetalMan
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Leaky valve cover gasket can definitely show up as oil leaking near the exhaust manifold, and in fact it did on my car. It's cheap and quick enough to replace anyways, to help rule out other sources.

redline380
11-03-2014, 02:26 PM
VC gasket is going to get down regardless. Of course it is leaking a little, but not enough to show up so heavily on the exhaust manifold. The only place I can think it is coming from is internally

MetalMan
11-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Entirely possible, and I'm looking forward to hearing others' responses on this.
Pretty sure some of my exhaust and/or intake valve stem seals are leaking due to smoke out of exhaust after decel (in gear) or idling for long enough. Wouldn't prefer to pull the head due to it being my DD and trying to keep costs down.

I've read of replacing valve stem seals using compressed air through the spark plug holes or something like that to keep valves from dropping. If you intend to replace the valve stem seals would you consider this method?

redline380
11-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Entirely possible, and I'm looking forward to hearing others' responses on this.
I've read of replacing valve stem seals using compressed air through the spark plug holes or something like that to keep valves from dropping. If you intend to replace the valve stem seals would you consider this method?

No, I wouldn't. I have taken a few heads apart and it isn't the easiest task in the world. Performing this while the head is still on the car would just make things more difficult, not to mention the valve stays in place so you have to work around it. If I were to do just one seal, it might be worth it, but very cumbersome for all twenty. Removing the head may actually be faster. One thing that sucks is you now have to buy another HG and head bolts. I may switch to head studs if I do it.

Again, time is no deal to me since it will be down all winter anyways. If time was I factor, I may consider it, but if you have access to another car, I'd reconsider just to keep your sanity.

redline380
11-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Snagged a pic last night. This is after running it for bout 10 minutes on my way home.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/redline380/temporary_zps9526c28f.jpg

bhusted
11-04-2014, 10:06 AM
How about a leak on the back of the head, (cam plug or half moon) that flows down to that stud on the manifold? If this was an internal oil leak, I would think it would be burned off before it had a chance to leak though the gasket there.

woolveren
11-05-2014, 08:31 PM
The only place I can think it is coming from is internally

How about a leak on the back of the head, (cam plug or half moon) that flows down to that stud on the manifold? If this was an internal oil leak, I would think it would be burned off before it had a chance to leak though the gasket there.

This is exactly where oil leaked in my car last year, I agree it appears to be coming from the exhaust manifold but it was actually the half moon seal leaking. See similar pictures below from my car when it was leaking.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5769/dsc0256jy.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2158/dsc0284dt.jpg