PDA

View Full Version : Caliper Wind Back Tool Jammed in Caliper--Any Options

BikerBill
11-02-2014, 10:10 AM
OK, so now I've gone and done it. I'm replacing the rear pads on my 2000 A4 Quattro. On one side the pads were nearly worn through, so the piston was relatively extended. There wasn't enough room to properly place the caliper windback tool, so now it's wedged in there and I can't get it out. In the process of trying to place and remove the tool, I rotated the piston a small fraction of a turn a few times. I suspect that inadvertently activated the self adjust mechanism and pushed out the piston a little more so now the tool is really wedged in there.

These are Lucas rear calipers. The pivot rod on the parking brake mechanism is coaxial with the piston, not 90 degrees to it like the Girling calipers. I cannot rotate the piston because one of the two dogs or pins on the wind back tool is engaged in one slot of the piston, and the tool is jammed up against the caliper body. I'm wondering if I remove the nut on the parking brake mechanism on the back of the caliper body if I can access and turn the threaded rod to retract the piston. Does anyone have an exploded view of these Lucas calipers?