PDA

View Full Version : AWE to Capristo

Johnhanson
10-30-2014, 08:37 PM
So I've gone ahead and ordered a capristo. I've had my AWE track exhaust for a year and love it, but I just want the deep V8 sound and loudness from Capristo. I also miss the valves. It seemed like a waste eith the oem exhaust since I always had it open, but there's days when I work at 4 am and I'm sure my neighbors hate me when I cold start. The sound is more Italian than American muscle and sounds amazing when revved, but I've probably watched every Caprosto video on the Internet and love how deep it sounds.

Install date is looking first week of December. I have before and after videos with the AWE and will try to string together a video with all of them.

If anyone out there is interested in the AWE I'm open to offers.

Agrs5
10-31-2014, 11:32 PM
can't wait to see the videos because i am trying to choose between the capristos and HMS exhausts and not sure which ones to get

patmusk
11-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Same here. Looking forward to your posts. I'm still leaning Capristo..

phantomrs5
11-15-2014, 08:39 PM
I would be interested in you awe track exhaust. PM'd you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnhanson
11-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Replied. In a perfect world I'll sell within Canada as there was a huge disadvantage bringing it here in first place...between shipping/tax/duty/brokerage it added over a grand to list price.

Also unsure of cost of shipping/duties to states - any Canadians with experience shipping parts to states or Americanos receiving from Canada? I'm guessing fairly uncommon. Only advantage right now is our weak-ass CAD. Thanks Obama.

scottykenneth
11-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Would love to hear as well whn installed. Take a lot of pics! :). Whats the price tag on it

Johnhanson
12-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Will be north of 6 all told (in CAD - we suck these days) [eek] Lot's of money for some noise, but to me it will complete the car.

As for videos - I suck at video making/editing. Is there anyone out in AZland that would be willing to do this for me? I will have a nice collection of stock open/stock closed/AWE track/AWE drive by/hopefully shit ton of Capristo vids.

Exhaust goes in in 2 days....

Sgibb16
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
@beast Buy his AWE!

bknewtype
12-03-2014, 04:19 AM
@beast Buy his AWE!

300 + y spokes?

Sgibb16
12-03-2014, 05:35 AM
300 + y spokes?

Seems fair

Flying Tomatoes
12-03-2014, 06:07 AM
If the Capristo on the RS5 sounds anything like the Capristo on the RS4... you will be very happy [drool]

Lummi
12-03-2014, 12:15 PM
my Capristo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1Xe5yY1F8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeObyEyZmrU

sounds great!
but i'm thinking of replace the center muffler, than it sounds like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTYPcWdcstg

Johnhanson
12-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Ok. It's on. I basically have a constant boner while I'm driving now. Very amazing addition to the car. I'm heavy into work and travel for a few days but will try and write a bit of a review comparing stock/awe/capristo and put together some vids in the next week.

For now, I need to detumesce.

Ace22
12-14-2014, 07:11 AM
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the differences between AWE and Capristo. I am looking at exhaust options as well.

Johnhanson
12-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Don't hold your breath for videos. Apparently my computer is a POS and/or I just may be legally retarded. Will figure out editing one of these days.

In the meantime, I thought I would break down a few points comparing AWE to Capristo.

1) Overall value: at nearly 1/3 the price, the AWE is probably better bang for your buck. While I installed the AWE and had a shop do the Capristo, they both are obviously quality products and fit/install easily, the Capristo is just a work of art and clearly better build quality, and certainly a superior system. But 3x the $$??..... To me it 100% is perfect for the car and to me worth every penny

2) Start up, idle, and revs: The AWE is loud on cold starts. Not a beautiful loud, sort of like the buzzy V12 ferrari startup loud. Then it settles to a buzzy burble. I'm not a thesaurus. Low throttle revs are a bit raspy, but full throttle revs and on up to redline are amazing. Much higher pitched than stock and very Italian sounding. The Capristo is very civilized on startup. Deep, rumbly, far more AMG. I heard someone describe a Capristo as "valves closed similar to stock sport with valves open" and this is fairly accurate. Valves open on Capristo is another story. There is almost a slight buzz/boom when just sitting at idle valves open. Slight. Low throttle revs to 4-5k sound absolutely gorgeous, deep, and mean. At the high end it has a volume similar to the AWE but sounds more like a louder deeper stock. And perfect. If you want people coming over to see what the hell is making that beautiful noise, this is your system.

3) Driving in "D" mode: Boring. I honestly drive in auto D mode about 2% of the time - ie when I have a shift at 4am, severely hungover, or have my Gramma in the car. Stock exhaust was always quiet, valves open or closed. SOunds like a civic. AWE would have a slight buzz - not quite boom or drone - somewhere in between, and was still a bit annoying at times. The Capristo sounds like a slow lumbering V8. It sounds good but quiet. A bit more of a difference with the valves open or closed, but surprisingly very civilized either way.

4) Highway cruising: The roads are wide open here. Average cruising speed is 140kph, which fellow RS5 drivers know puts you at 3k rpm. Stock I could barely ever tell a difference open or closed - open gave maybe the slightest hint of V8 burble at this speed - but still almost inaudible. This is where I disliked the AWE - there was that slight buzz just gnawing at my right ear for hours at a time. Above 140 it just became loud in the cabin. The Capristo is very impressive here. At the 3k/140 point and above you will just hear a slight deep rumble with the valves open - enough to annoy you on a 5 hour drive - beautiful anything shorter than 1 hour. Sounds like a civilized GT/muscle car. Valves closed - forget about it. You hear only road/wind noise at any speed.

5) City/spirited driving / M/S mode: this is where I spend most of my time. I seldom do S mode auto - I drive my car with the lever to the right in M mode almost exclusively - this is my first "auto" car and I still find myself pushing the imaginary clutch sometimes. The stock system only gave me goosebumps when I hammered it - usually needed at least 4k to sound good. The AWE lowered that to around 3k, but essentially sounds better the higher the revs go, sounding more Italian past 4-5k. Sometimes my ears hurt around 8k. That's a good thing. My beef here was it lacked the growl, the V8 rumble, and sounds a little buzzy and uninspiring with half throttle driving. This however, is where the Capristo shines. From about 2.5-5k this thing just sound beautiful and rumbles at both partial and full throttle. Very deep with what sounds like many extra frequencies working. This where I do 95% of my driving and this is why am 100% in love with this exhaust. It sounds amazing ALL THE TIME. Once you hit the 6-8k range it sounds more like the stock exhaust but louder and sometimes ear-hurting at redline. Again - this is awesome.

6) Up and downshifts: The AWE rewards you with great sounding up and downshifts earlier than the stock system. They are slighly deeper but you get the burps dowshifting as low as 2.5k - I recall stock open needing well over 3k. Otherwise they are fairly similar - but louder - than stock. The Capristo gives a similar experience valves closed to the stock valves open - same revs, noise, etc. Capristo open is amazing - essentially any downshift is greeted with a burp, but anything over 3.5k is a deep old man from the belly belch. This is awesome. Same with the upshifts, much deeper than stock or AWE - but I will say you do run into the (according to me) somewhat unattractive "lawnmower/weedwacker" (?) upshift at redline shifts. I find these only above 8k, and although it sounds a bit rough - my friends seem to love them.

7) Overall: Basically the AWE sounds amazing when you're driving it hard - heavy throttle, high revs - but starts to show it's weakness during less spirited driving - which unfortunately is what a lot of us are stuck doing most of the time. The Capristo sounds better than OEM in every way, but truly excels and makes the most beautiful sounds at any rev, any throttle, and 100% of the time you are in the car. Plus you regain the valve control - though I seldom use it - and it can get annoying re-selecting dynamic mode EVERY time I drive the car. First world RS problems.

Anyway, that's a lot of words about noise. Hope it is somewhat helpful to people - videos and words can only do each system so much justice - you really need to hear them in person. Overall - I am incredibly happy with the Capristo, and like I said I think it is worth the cost relative to the car. It makes the car. After almost 2 years I still love this machine...probably even more now than when I first drove it off the lot. The AWE was great also - it is too bad Audi really wasted everyone's time with the "sport" exhaust option - to me so much of this car's personality is lost without some type of aftermarket exhaust.

shonseb
12-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow, that was pretty good. The way you are describing the Capristo is what I'm looking for in an exhaust, that V8 rumble. But every video that I've heard of it sounds rather raspy. The exhaust sound I most liked was the Akrapovic, but the price tag is way too steep for me to purchase. I'm waiting to hear what the Borla exhaust sounds like when finally developed.

Ace22
12-15-2014, 04:47 AM
Hey thanks for the very detailed review...definitely makes up my mind to go Capristo. Much appreciated and glad you are enjoying it!

Johnhanson
12-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Wow, that was pretty good. The way you are describing the Capristo is what I'm looking for in an exhaust, that V8 rumble. But every video that I've heard of it sounds rather raspy. The exhaust sound I most liked was the Akrapovic, but the price tag is way too steep for me to purchase. I'm waiting to hear what the Borla exhaust sounds like when finally developed.

Raspy is the one word I would not associate with Capristo. Maybe slightly near redline but by then all hell is breaking loose and you shouldn't be giving a shit.

To me, if you are even considering Capristo I would go for it. Akra seems like a good alternative but at another price level for likely not great returns, but you can't argue full Ti. Without sounding like too much of a douche, if you can afford an RS5, you can afford a Capristo. Do it!

Johnhanson
12-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Hey thanks for the very detailed review...definitely makes up my mind to go Capristo. Much appreciated and glad you are enjoying it!

Glad I could help. See above. Do it!

Agrs5
12-15-2014, 09:41 PM
same here thanks for the review just made my decision so much easier...going with the Capristo
and if anyone is looking for the exhaust i found them for $3800 on this website if ur located in the usa
http://europrice.us/exhaust-package-capristo-rs5-valvedhttp://europrice.us/exhaust-package-capristo-rs5-valved

JamesRS5
12-16-2014, 03:45 AM
John, fantastic write up, thanks for putting in the effort and detail.

Can I ask a quick question; I do a 250km commute to work and back, 90% of this is 6 lane highway so for me, comfort mode is pretty important as I'd rather listen to music and enjoy the drive.
I've had performance exhausts which have claimed to be quiet when cruising but have droned inside the car and just become a headache.

I spec'd the sports package which came with the sports exhaust and this sounds 'ok' in dynamic mode but not exactly what I was expecting. Is the Capristo really a nice quiet system in comfort mode, quiet enough to be nice on a long cruise?

Johnhanson
12-16-2014, 07:35 AM
My answer right now is it would be perfect. If you see whichever point I made on highway driving, there is slight volume driving valves open - certainly not drone. With the valves closed I heard nothing. I droveit home 750km after the install and got to know it a lot on the highway. I would drive 30-60 min with valves open and definitely felt the "noise fatigue" people talk with loud cars on the highway - even though it was barely perceptible. Valves closed like I said it was only road noise.

My only hesitation to 100% endorse it would be to see f it changes over the next few months. After my experience with the AWE I would expect this system to "open up" a bit with a few thousand Km on it. When I took the AWE off there is a noticeable amount of carbon build up inside and my theory is that it maybe coats the resonators over time - the AWE did become slightly deeper and louder over time. I'm hoping this happens to the Capristo as well, but I'm confident it would remain a very quiet highway cruiser with valves closed.

JamesRS5
12-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Thank you, I'm in no rush so I'll wait for some feedback in a few months.

Ace22
12-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Without sounding like too much of a douche, if you can afford an RS5, you can afford a Capristo. Do it!
My sentiments exactly...Capristo ordered and awaiting installation probably after Christmas. Thanks again!

jwx67
12-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Just adding my thanks too! I have had my RS5 for 7 months now have been thinking about AWE or Capristo. Your comments have helped me to decide 100% on the Capristo! I have a quote from my local AZ shop (GoodSpeed) and plan to order in the new year.

Ace22 - I see that you just ordered one too .. did you see the link from Agrs5 that seems to sell the Capristo for under $4k? This seems like a good option? Save about $600 ?

PEM
12-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Also on the ropes between Awe track extreme and Capristo so this is a very helpful thread. Thank you!

Ace22
12-18-2014, 04:32 AM
Just adding my thanks too! I have had my RS5 for 7 months now have been thinking about AWE or Capristo. Your comments have helped me to decide 100% on the Capristo! I have a quote from my local AZ shop (GoodSpeed) and plan to order in the new year.

Ace22 - I see that you just ordered one too .. did you see the link from Agrs5 that seems to sell the Capristo for under $4k? This seems like a good option? Save about $600 ?

Yeah, I saw that, but Alex from TAG already hooked me up. That is a great price tho!

Ace22
12-24-2014, 05:05 AM
Don't hold your breath for videos. Apparently my computer is a POS and/or I just may be legally retarded. Will figure out editing one of these days.

In the meantime, I thought I would break down a few points comparing AWE to Capristo.

1) Overall value: at nearly 1/3 the price, the AWE is probably better bang for your buck. While I installed the AWE and had a shop do the Capristo, they both are obviously quality products and fit/install easily, the Capristo is just a work of art and clearly better build quality, and certainly a superior system. But 3x the $$??..... To me it 100% is perfect for the car and to me worth every penny

2) Start up, idle, and revs: The AWE is loud on cold starts. Not a beautiful loud, sort of like the buzzy V12 ferrari startup loud. Then it settles to a buzzy burble. I'm not a thesaurus. Low throttle revs are a bit raspy, but full throttle revs and on up to redline are amazing. Much higher pitched than stock and very Italian sounding. The Capristo is very civilized on startup. Deep, rumbly, far more AMG. I heard someone describe a Capristo as "valves closed similar to stock sport with valves open" and this is fairly accurate. Valves open on Capristo is another story. There is almost a slight buzz/boom when just sitting at idle valves open. Slight. Low throttle revs to 4-5k sound absolutely gorgeous, deep, and mean. At the high end it has a volume similar to the AWE but sounds more like a louder deeper stock. And perfect. If you want people coming over to see what the hell is making that beautiful noise, this is your system.

3) Driving in "D" mode: Boring. I honestly drive in auto D mode about 2% of the time - ie when I have a shift at 4am, severely hungover, or have my Gramma in the car. Stock exhaust was always quiet, valves open or closed. SOunds like a civic. AWE would have a slight buzz - not quite boom or drone - somewhere in between, and was still a bit annoying at times. The Capristo sounds like a slow lumbering V8. It sounds good but quiet. A bit more of a difference with the valves open or closed, but surprisingly very civilized either way.

4) Highway cruising: The roads are wide open here. Average cruising speed is 140kph, which fellow RS5 drivers know puts you at 3k rpm. Stock I could barely ever tell a difference open or closed - open gave maybe the slightest hint of V8 burble at this speed - but still almost inaudible. This is where I disliked the AWE - there was that slight buzz just gnawing at my right ear for hours at a time. Above 140 it just became loud in the cabin. The Capristo is very impressive here. At the 3k/140 point and above you will just hear a slight deep rumble with the valves open - enough to annoy you on a 5 hour drive - beautiful anything shorter than 1 hour. Sounds like a civilized GT/muscle car. Valves closed - forget about it. You hear only road/wind noise at any speed.

5) City/spirited driving / M/S mode: this is where I spend most of my time. I seldom do S mode auto - I drive my car with the lever to the right in M mode almost exclusively - this is my first "auto" car and I still find myself pushing the imaginary clutch sometimes. The stock system only gave me goosebumps when I hammered it - usually needed at least 4k to sound good. The AWE lowered that to around 3k, but essentially sounds better the higher the revs go, sounding more Italian past 4-5k. Sometimes my ears hurt around 8k. That's a good thing. My beef here was it lacked the growl, the V8 rumble, and sounds a little buzzy and uninspiring with half throttle driving. This however, is where the Capristo shines. From about 2.5-5k this thing just sound beautiful and rumbles at both partial and full throttle. Very deep with what sounds like many extra frequencies working. This where I do 95% of my driving and this is why am 100% in love with this exhaust. It sounds amazing ALL THE TIME. Once you hit the 6-8k range it sounds more like the stock exhaust but louder and sometimes ear-hurting at redline. Again - this is awesome.

6) Up and downshifts: The AWE rewards you with great sounding up and downshifts earlier than the stock system. They are slighly deeper but you get the burps dowshifting as low as 2.5k - I recall stock open needing well over 3k. Otherwise they are fairly similar - but louder - than stock. The Capristo gives a similar experience valves closed to the stock valves open - same revs, noise, etc. Capristo open is amazing - essentially any downshift is greeted with a burp, but anything over 3.5k is a deep old man from the belly belch. This is awesome. Same with the upshifts, much deeper than stock or AWE - but I will say you do run into the (according to me) somewhat unattractive "lawnmower/weedwacker" (?) upshift at redline shifts. I find these only above 8k, and although it sounds a bit rough - my friends seem to love them.

7) Overall: Basically the AWE sounds amazing when you're driving it hard - heavy throttle, high revs - but starts to show it's weakness during less spirited driving - which unfortunately is what a lot of us are stuck doing most of the time. The Capristo sounds better than OEM in every way, but truly excels and makes the most beautiful sounds at any rev, any throttle, and 100% of the time you are in the car. Plus you regain the valve control - though I seldom use it - and it can get annoying re-selecting dynamic mode EVERY time I drive the car. First world RS problems.

Anyway, that's a lot of words about noise. Hope it is somewhat helpful to people - videos and words can only do each system so much justice - you really need to hear them in person. Overall - I am incredibly happy with the Capristo, and like I said I think it is worth the cost relative to the car. It makes the car. After almost 2 years I still love this machine...probably even more now than when I first drove it off the lot. The AWE was great also - it is too bad Audi really wasted everyone's time with the "sport" exhaust option - to me so much of this car's personality is lost without some type of aftermarket exhaust.

I wanted to thank you again for your very detailed review. Although I have not had experience with the AWE system, I can tell you that your observations of the Capristo were spot on. I had mine installed yesterday and have loved every minute with it. Your analysis has helped greatly!

Brava
12-24-2014, 05:29 AM
I find my optional sports exhaust to sound really good, so don't feel the need for aftermarket. Did you guys have the oem sports exhaust before going g aftermarket?

Ace22
12-24-2014, 06:05 AM
Yes, came from the sports exhaust. I too really appreciated the sports exhaust for what it is...a nice way to have the best of both worlds while still meeting emissions requirements. I have only had the Capristo for a short time, but the cabin seems fairly similar to the stock sports exhaust in D mode, but when the flaps open...big difference as the Capristo really lets you know there's a V8 under the hood.

Johnhanson
12-27-2014, 02:17 PM
I wanted to thank you again for your very detailed review. Although I have not had experience with the AWE system, I can tell you that your observations of the Capristo were spot on. I had mine installed yesterday and have loved every minute with it. Your analysis has helped greatly!

Glad I could help! Just got back from a rip in some new powder. Drifting this thing through 3 inches of snow for the last hour with the flaps open may have been some of the best times I've had in this car. Everything is right in the world now. I honestly wish everyone could experience this.

phantomrs5
02-17-2015, 09:08 PM
Want to thank john for selling me his awe exhaust. Finally got it installed. I have no doubt the capristo system is amazing but I am very satisfied with the awe track. Huge improvement over stock. I do notice the noise compared to stock with highway cruising but reasonable considering the sporting intention of the car. Awe system is great bang for the buck and sounds awesome especially at higher revs.

patmusk
02-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for this thread. I already was committed to the capristo system, which has the deeper, "muscle" sound for this car.

My only decision to make is whether to spend the extra $1200 for the remote system.

I like full control of those valves.

UPDATE: Just ordered (waiting for install) - did not end up getting remote, maybe down the road if I feel it's needed.

Johnhanson
02-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Want to thank john for selling me his awe exhaust. Finally got it installed. I have no doubt the capristo system is amazing but I am very satisfied with the awe track. Huge improvement over stock. I do notice the noise compared to stock with highway cruising but reasonable considering the sporting intention of the car. Awe system is great bang for the buck and sounds awesome especially at higher revs.

Hey John, I was meaning to ask you how you were liking it. It's amazing the different characteristics each exhaust can produce. I sometimes miss the Italian sound of the AWE - probably more unique than the Capristo in a way.

As for patmusk - I wouldn't go with the remote. To me it's one extra fob in your pocket. I findnow it's actually great using the driveselect when the Capristo makes such a monster difference between open/closed. To me it's a waste of $1200. Yakk does have it and loves it though.

With the stock flaps it was sort of like going from medium-well to a medium steak. With Capristo it's like going from medium to blue-rare. And I fu€king love blue-rare.

Jimmy ny
02-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Capristo is awesome. I use it on drive select Auto. Sounds so much better than stock. No drone. No headache, when you get on the car, WOW sounds great and a very refined loud exhaust note.

Shredder
02-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Johnhanson. Was your previous exhaust the AWE track or track extreme? I have the extreme and looking to quiet it down on the highway to try to stop that drone. Which would be making it a track edition with the stock downpipes. Wondering your opinion?

toasteronfire
08-03-2018, 02:12 PM

I think this post just cost me a lot of money. Ha. Basically exactly what I am looking for, more growl and noise during "normal" driving and not just at WOT (fun but not realistically how I am going to drive all the time)

greenturbo
08-03-2018, 02:49 PM
+10000000000000, Capristo is civility and peace and then angry mob when it wants to be. V8S5 6MT. Cold starts are hilariously not loud at all because Valvetronic pressure isn't there yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Audizine mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

Reggie
08-07-2018, 05:45 AM
I wonder if anyone has added a x pipe to these system and has it helped the sound. I love my Capisto.

sepangrs5
08-15-2018, 08:26 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the valves on capristo? I've heard they break but wasnt sure if true. Certainly love the sound of the exhaust and convenience of the valves!

JamesRS5
08-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Iíve never read any reports of valves breaking on Capristo and had no problems with mine in the 2 years itís been installed.

Hippyshakes
08-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Iíve never read any reports of valves breaking on Capristo and had no problems with mine in the 2 years itís been installed.

Ditto. Mine is flawless to date.

Shredder
09-04-2018, 06:56 PM
My Capristo is amazing with no issues as well for over a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87676)

rnp614
09-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Did you all get the valve controller? Or no?

altobeast
09-05-2018, 01:17 PM

I woud say it's not worth it for the features/dollar. The only thing it will help you with is comfort mode with valves open, which would be great, but I think 2014+ rs5's have the individual mode able to do comfort with valves open.

toasteronfire
09-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Not worth it, you can control it via drive select.

PEM
09-06-2018, 07:12 AM
Has anyone had any issues with the valves on capristo? I've heard they break but wasnt sure if true. Certainly love the sound of the exhaust and convenience of the valves!

3 years with Capristo and no issues here with the valves.

0956Jason
09-29-2018, 12:29 AM
Went from Capristo to AWE after a few weeks of use. Last thing I want is my RS5 sounding like a mustang. People say the car sounds like an AMG with the capristo, but having owned a C63 AMG, itís far from it.

Reggie
09-29-2018, 08:18 AM
3 years with Capristo and no issues here with the valves.
Two years for me and I love the sound. No issues

JamesRS5
09-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Went from Capristo to AWE after a few weeks of use. Last thing I want is my RS5 sounding like a mustang. People say the car sounds like an AMG with the capristo, but having owned a C63 AMG, itís far from it.

Iím confused by this, the car sounds nothing like a mustang with the Capristo, did you have the center resonator or straight through pipes?

The car is a quiet as stock with valves closed, it has to be to pass EU regs.

Bbkg79
09-29-2018, 09:17 AM

In some YouTube videos, it does sound like an AMG. I have to hear it in person to verify.

0956Jason
10-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Iím confused by this, the car sounds nothing like a mustang with the Capristo, did you have the center resonator or straight through pipes?

The car is a quiet as stock with valves closed, it has to be to pass EU regs.

Just the catback, nothing else. Sounded exactly like my friends 5.0. Nothing like the AMG.

Schinzel
11-21-2018, 03:22 PM
I woud say it's not worth it for the features/dollar. The only thing it will help you with is comfort mode with valves open, which would be great, but I think 2014+ rs5's have the individual mode able to do comfort with valves open.

Right, instead spend the $1200 on these (https://europrice.us/controls-post-facelift-flat-bottom-performance) and control the valves from your steering wheel.

https://europrice.us/controls-post-facelift-flat-bottom-performance

Shredder
11-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Right, instead spend the $1200 on these (https://europrice.us/controls-post-facelift-flat-bottom-performance) and control the valves from your steering wheel.

https://europrice.us/controls-post-facelift-flat-bottom-performance

Iíve had my Capristo for over a year now and itís truly amazing. Sounds nothing like a mustang. I had the AWE track Extreme and did sound amazing WOT but drones all the time at cruising speeds. After 2 weeks of the AWE I thought my head was going to explode from the drone. The Capristo is perfect. Quiet while cruising with valves closed and a monster with valves open WOT.

Ape Factory
12-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Iíve had my Capristo for over a year now and itís truly amazing. Sounds nothing like a mustang. I had the AWE track Extreme and did sound amazing WOT but drones all the time at cruising speeds. After 2 weeks of the AWE I thought my head was going to explode from the drone. The Capristo is perfect. Quiet while cruising with valves closed and a monster with valves open WOT.

Out of curiosity, would you say the Capristo at WOT is as loud as the AWE Track Extreme at WOT? I had the Track Extreme and lasted a few months with it (daily driven too!) and while it subtracted years off my life and turned me into a hooligan, it did drone too much. I swapped in the resonated downpipes which has made me very happy. Still rips up top but not cop magnet from three miles away territory. Just curious if the valved systems are as loud as the Track Extreme with the valves open. Seems like they would be due to the lack of resonators upstream.

Shredder
12-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Out of curiosity, would you say the Capristo at WOT is as loud as the AWE Track Extreme at WOT? I had the Track Extreme and lasted a few months with it (daily driven too!) and while it subtracted years off my life and turned me into a hooligan, it did drone too much. I swapped in the resonated downpipes which has made me very happy. Still rips up top but not cop magnet from three miles away territory. Just curious if the valved systems are as loud as the Track Extreme with the valves open. Seems like they would be due to the lack of resonators upstream.

I would say the Capristo with valves open WOT is slight less loud then the AWE Track Extreme. Donít forget then Track Extreme also changes the down pipes which add to the louder sound. But to be honest, the Capristo is a beast in itself WOT valves open. I couldnít imagine wanting it any louder.

Ape Factory
12-01-2018, 11:04 AM
Ok so the Capristo uses the OEM downpipes? I thought there were two downpipes options on the Capristo, one with no resonators and one with.

Nevermind...just looked at their web page and I see it's the center section that comes with or without a muffler. Man, for that sort of scratch, it should come with properly-engineered downpipes too.

greenturbo
12-01-2018, 12:28 PM
It's worth every penny of that scratch. Just the finish and weld quality and polished mirror is simply incredible. Nevermind the glorious sound from falsetto to bellowing that cannot be copied or replicated by even armytrix.
Ok so the Capristo uses the OEM downpipes? I thought there were two downpipes options on the Capristo, one with no resonators and one with.

Nevermind...just looked at their web page and I see it's the center section that comes with or without a muffler. Man, for that sort of scratch, it should come with properly-engineered downpipes too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ape Factory
12-01-2018, 07:40 PM
To be fair, week after the exhaust is on the car, that mirror-like finish will be covered in road grime. Besides, how many times do you jack the car up to look at polished mufflers? Nice welds should be expected of any exhaust and in fact, beautiful welds can be found on exhausts costing half as much. I don't think either of those really justify the cost. I could spend half an hour with a buffer wheel and rouge on any stainless muffler and get it to shine.

I could see performance, sound, materials quality (like higher grade stainless, titanium, inconel or thicker-walled stainless/better components, etc...) being a justification on price. If the Capristo delivers on that vs less expensive competition, great! I'm just not sure it's much of a leap in any one quantifiable measure (sound is purely opinion although I have zero doubt it sounds great). Especially at double the cost.

JamesRS5
12-01-2018, 08:34 PM
When I searched exhausts I was looking for an increase in performance and an exhaust volume that was as close to stock (in Comfort mode) as possible, the two finalists were Akrapovic and Capristo, both high end exhaust systems with eye watering price tags. I ran an Akrapovic on a previous car and unfortunately it resonated right at cruising speed, such a beautiful exhaust but the drone was just not something I could live with. That worried me about paying an awful lot for an exhaust I couldnít live with so I went with the Capristo which has never disappointed at all, it exceeded expectations in quality of workmanship and the sound is perfect, quiet as OE in Comfort mode and can be a civilised hooligan in dynamic.

As for performance, not many of the less expensive brands offer any performance info on their exhausts, Akrapovic show results of 7hp and similar torque, this was supported by a dyno chart. Capristo also has a dyno chart showing 14hp and similar torque. The butt dyno confirms thereís a performance increase but it isnít possible to say how much.

The Audi tech commented on the quality of the system on its last inspection which still looked as good as the day it was installed, still a mirror finish.

Ape Factory
12-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Oh come on James. How much does it rain there, LOL? Yes, I'm yanking your chain a bit. I'm not saying the mirror finish goes away, it just gets covered in crap. It would take a week here in San Antonio. And you never see it anyway so what's the point? But I get it, it's a personal decision but

I still don't think there's anything that specifically justifies the cost premium from a construction or performance standpoint. If it came with quality downpipes (resonators or no), I could see it. Having seen the OEM downpipes, they're less than optimal and JHM even improves on the cat outlet to downpipe interface. So how Capristo gets more hp that far down in the exhaust path, with mufflers that are of similar design from an internals standpoint, remains a mystery. At least with say an AWE, it's a simple straight through design. Doesn't get any less restrictive than that.

If I had the funds, I'd go with the Akra just for the weight savings. Not rational though as it's half the cost of a supercharger.

JamesRS5
12-02-2018, 04:07 AM
I still don't think there's anything that specifically justifies the cost premium from a construction or performance standpoint.

If I had the funds, I'd go with the Akra just for the weight savings. Not rational though as it's half the cost of a supercharger.

If I could guarantee no drone then Iíd be in the same boat, the Akrapovic is beautiful and so light you could go to the Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet and still be at a weight advantage.

Capristo is really nice quality, you can almost smell the leather shorts of the German guy who made these welds, hereís a couple of piccys before mine was hidden away under the car:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/e0cdeb9404ab2d6ae00777ba1ba66590.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/c424b5383aab61ea180c487cbf1c5fc3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ape Factory
12-02-2018, 09:16 AM
That definitely looks high quality, almost art-like. I'd probably jack the car up on occasion just to look at that.

Your seemingly first-hand knowledge of Pizza Hut is frightening. From the American people, may I give you our sincerest apology. Hopefully, at some point you get to experience real Chicago or NY pizza. But I digress.

s vier
12-02-2018, 05:43 PM
I can give you the first-hand experience with the Akropovich and AWE non-res dps:

Proís:
-Stupid light
-Crazy quality
-CF tips
-F1 sound w/Titanium resonance especially in high rpms

Cons:
-NEVER TELL WIFE ACTUAL COST
-Comfort mode drone when chugging around town at super low rpms in a higher gear.

I love the Akropovich. I love the Capristo. Canít go wrong either way. The drone doesnít affect me as I only ever drive in Dynamic. Comfort mode is only ever used on longer freeway travels (rare).

Pilfer
12-11-2018, 09:35 PM
has anyone looked into JHM? I spent some time there getting an exhaust on my RS4, they gave me a ride in their shop RS5 and it sounds bloody awesome. The downshifts are insane. They have a good reputation with the B7 RS4 and so far I'm very happy with mine.

Ape Factory
12-12-2018, 09:50 AM
If I were purchasing a new exhaust today, it'd probably be the JHM.

chrissurfr
12-12-2018, 12:13 PM
anyone running an x pipe with capristo?

Dlau
12-12-2018, 02:44 PM
If I could guarantee no drone then Iíd be in the same boat, the Akrapovic is beautiful and so light you could go to the Pizza Hut all you can eat buffet and still be at a weight advantage.

Capristo is really nice quality, you can almost smell the leather shorts of the German guy who made these welds, hereís a couple of piccys before mine was hidden away under the car:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/e0cdeb9404ab2d6ae00777ba1ba66590.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181202/c424b5383aab61ea180c487cbf1c5fc3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those cf tips look great! Where did you get them and did it come with the capristo lettering?

tma5091
12-13-2018, 03:10 PM
If I were purchasing a new exhaust today, it'd probably be the JHM.

I got a ride in their test car in November. Performance wise it is right up there, but it was a little on the quiet side for me.

JamesRS5
12-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Those cf tips look great! Where did you get them and did it come with the capristo lettering?

Purchased from Carbon Designz and the Capristo lettering was produced by a company who make decals for brake calipers so they are a heigh temp decal just in case.

sepangrs5
01-27-2019, 07:02 PM
To anyone running aftermarket downpipes with their capristo- is it worth it? I have capristo with resonated center section. Daily drive it and I love it but I am wondering if I should get aftermarket downpipes to increase the sound. Not sure what my options would be. Definitely not a big fan of drone but I just love that V8 !!! (Also considering non-res center section too)