PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

flashc90
10-28-2014, 10:37 AM
my a4 has a 2.7t engine but the stock 1.8t tranny... which was put in back in January with new clutch.. while driving yesterday about 30mph the car just felt like it when into neutral, I pulled over and no matter what gear I put it in its not moving and I just hear a noise coming from the tranny like something is slipping. clutch pedal feels fine and I can also put the car in gear without pressing the clutch.. would anyone have an idea what wrong???[confused][confused][confused]

BaseDrifter
10-28-2014, 10:39 AM
You probably broke an axle.

Davdraco1
10-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Same senario a while back. I had a my axle disconnect itself from the from diff. No idea how the 6 bolts backed themselves out.

flashc90
10-28-2014, 12:48 PM
thanks ill be taking a look at the car after I get out of work today so ill keep it posted

Davdraco1
10-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I thought it was my clutch too bc mines old and on it's last leg.

flashc90
10-30-2014, 07:31 AM
Same senario a while back. I had a my axle disconnect itself from the from diff. No idea how the 6 bolts backed themselves out.

turns out its not the axle.. its the back of the tranny where the drive shaft is connected..i removed it but not sure whats the name of it

redline380
10-30-2014, 07:46 AM
turns out its not the axle.. its the back of the tranny where the drive shaft is connected..i removed it but not sure whats the name of it

Generally called the tail shaft. The tranny sends power out through the center diff in the extra housing on the back of the tranny.

What happened? Was the driveshaft disconnected?

flashc90
10-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Generally called the tail shaft. The tranny sends power out through the center diff in the extra housing on the back of the tranny.

What happened? Was the driveshaft disconnected?

no it was still connected but inside the tail shaft the gears looks as if there are messed up...the piece that the driveshaft connects to is spinning my it self

redline380
10-30-2014, 07:53 AM
no it was still connected but inside the tail shaft the gears looks as if there are messed up...the piece that the driveshaft connects to is spinning my it self

That would be the center diff. Pics of the carnage?

flashc90
10-30-2014, 07:57 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/30/368c9c0f100c641a9a18d70f93c87ca7.jpg

That's the only pic that I have of it right now but I'll take more later....is it something that I can buy or will I have to get a new tranny

redline380
10-30-2014, 08:06 AM
That's the only pic that I have of it right now but I'll take more later....is it something that I can buy or will I have to get a new tranny

Depends on a few factors, but you most likely just need another center diff.

flashc90
10-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Depends on a few factors, but you most likely just need another center diff.

I am looking all over the internet but can't find one

redline380
10-30-2014, 08:09 AM
I am looking all over the internet but can't find one

You wont find one looking like that. You need to find a spare tranny somewhere and buy just the center diff. Scotty at advanced automotion probably has a few dozen sitting around, so maybe call him up. If you can't find one for less than $200, you may be better off heading to a junkyard or finding someone parting out a car. You can buy a whole transmission for $200 and just take out the center diff. Keep the rest of the tranny around for spare parts, or bring it in for scrap.

flashc90
10-30-2014, 08:14 AM
You wont find one looking like that. You need to find a spare tranny somewhere and buy just the center diff. Scotty at advanced automotion probably has a few dozen sitting around, so maybe call him up. If you can't find one for less than $200, you may be better off heading to a junkyard or finding someone parting out a car. You can buy a whole transmission for $200 and just take out the center diff. Keep the rest of the tranny around for spare parts, or bring it in for scrap.

ok thanks a lot ill keep you posted on whats going on

flashc90
10-31-2014, 07:45 AM

so I got lucky and ill be picking up a tranny for a $100 tomorrow... should I just change the entire tranny or just replace the tail shaft

redline380
10-31-2014, 08:01 AM
so I got lucky and ill be picking up a tranny for a $100 tomorrow... should I just change the entire tranny or just replace the tail shaft

Depends on what the tranny came out of and how good of shape yours was in before the incident.

MetalMan
10-31-2014, 08:48 AM
It's a lot faster/easier to replace just the tail shaft, so that's probably worth a shot.

flashc90
10-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Ture I'll do replace the tail shaft and keep the rest for parts

flashc90
11-03-2014, 06:57 AM
It's a lot faster/easier to replace just the tail shaft, so that's probably worth a shot.

thanks for your help the car is up and running again.....but now there is another issue my rear Differential is slipping under 19psi..do u think I can use an s4 diff with my 5speed

Mad Cow
11-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Spider gear diffs don't just slip, it'll either work fine or not at all. Not to mention that the S4 diff is identical except for gearing, stock rear diffs are more than strong enough.

flashc90
11-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Spider gear diffs don't just slip, it'll either work fine or not at all. Not to mention that the S4 diff is identical except for gearing, stock rear diffs are more than strong enough.

with the 2.7t it start to make a wired sound and I can feel it slipping at 19psi

Mad Cow
11-03-2014, 12:22 PM
That fact that you say weird sound instead of horrible grinding and banging racket makes me think it's not the rear diff. If that goes there will be no mistaking it. And again, spider gear diffs can not slip and then recover, either they work or they begin rapid uncontrolled disassembly, there's no in between.

M-Hood
11-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Still have the original stock 1.8t rear diff in my car, still holds up just fine even while making 650awhp and 500awtq. Not too bad for a rear diff that has been used at the drag strip for 14 years now. lol

You sure it isn't just your clutch slipping? I don't see how just the rear diff is slipping on you at just 19psi. The only real difference between the 1.8t rear diff and the S4 2.7t diff is the fact that one is a 3.889 and the other is a 4.11.

flashc90
11-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Still have the original stock 1.8t rear diff in my car, still holds up just fine even while making 650awhp and 500awtq. Not too bad for a rear diff that has been used at the drag strip for 14 years now. lol

You sure it isn't just your clutch slipping? I don't see how just the rear diff is slipping on you at just 19psi. The only real difference between the 1.8t rear diff and the S4 2.7t diff is the fact that one is a 3.889 and the other is a 4.11.

I was thinking it was the clutch at first but I keep hearing and feeling it in the back of the car

M-Hood
11-04-2014, 08:01 AM
I was thinking it was the clutch at first but I keep hearing and feeling it in the back of the car

Could have just been the EDL kicking in if one of the back tires was spinning more then the other 3 tires.