PDA

View Full Version : engine ticking when it warms up...

A4_Andre
08-30-2005, 05:19 PM
ok, so i had my timing belt change some time ago and the timing was off... i took it back to the shop and they eventually fixed it, but now my engine ticks when it warms up and i dont know what it is and they are saying they dont know either... my logical guess would be the valves, but wouldnt they tick always? not only when the car wamrs up? anyone have any ideas what it could be?

sumpsfast
08-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Maybe a little timing issue!?

A4_Andre
08-30-2005, 05:38 PM
the timing is fine and runs great... just the engine ticks when it warms up

jeremy@matrix
08-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by A4_Andre
the timing is fine and runs great... just the engine ticks when it warms up

For how long?
What oil are you running?

A4_Andre
08-30-2005, 08:00 PM
for how long does it tick? once it warms up and till i turn the engine off and it cools down.. i think im running 5w30

nramsey
08-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Exhaust leak? They can sometimes sound like that. Best bet is to pop the hood and use a length of vacuum line to try to track down where it's coming from. Hold one end to your ear and search around the engine bay with the other. Fuel injectors can be ticky too sometimes. Lifters are another possible culprit. I'm not sure if Audis use solid lifters or hydraulic ones. Hydraulic ones can sometimes tick if the oil is low or dirty.

RudeBwoi
08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
change your oil.

marcini
08-30-2005, 09:04 PM
i know what it is, just not sure what is called, it's this little can between the motor and the firewall, it only makes noise when the engine is cold and in higher rpms, once the rpm drops after like 30secs the noise dissapears, i wouldn't worry aobut it

WhippeD
08-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by nramsey
Exhaust leak? They can sometimes sound like that. Best bet is to pop the hood and use a length of vacuum line to try to track down where it's coming from. Hold one end to your ear and search around the engine bay with the other. Fuel injectors can be ticky too sometimes. Lifters are another possible culprit. I'm not sure if Audis use solid lifters or hydraulic ones. Hydraulic ones can sometimes tick if the oil is low or dirty.

mine makes ticking noise from the fuel injectors area, why is that? time for bigger fuel injectors??[:D]
but what would make the fuel injectors tick like that?

nramsey
08-30-2005, 11:07 PM
I believe some injectors are just loud. I don't know if it comes with age, or size, or maybe they are semi clogged. Not positive...hopefully someone else can chime in. I just know they can tick sometimes [:)]

nd4spd
08-31-2005, 07:09 AM
cam chain tensioner ??!? but thats more like a flapping noise ...and lasts only for a few seconds after start up ....

jrodmk2
08-31-2005, 07:22 AM
my injectors are loud also. a couple of guys i know say they are louder injectors as compared to some vw's and such.

other subject though. it is def. a ticking and not a small knocking sound right. my cam sprocket was slightly touching the plastic cover at one time after i did my tb. the clamps on the side were slightly bent and were holding the cover to tight to the sprocket
and it was touching a bit. after it was warmed up it expanded ever so slightly and stopped. drove me nuts until i figured it out.

ScottyB 1.8T
08-31-2005, 07:34 AM
i wouldn't doubt sticky lifters (we have hydro lifters), depending on how many miles your car has. when i start my car up from cold, or warm there is a distinct tick, tick, tick sound from the head of the engine for a few minutes. it dissapears with rpm or once the engine oil warms. i run 0-40 with 67k miles and will probably do a sea-foam cleaning on my next oil change.

A4_Andre
08-31-2005, 09:14 AM
thanks for all the responses and help guys, but to clariify things... the ticking is AFTER the car warms up. also when you turn the car off you can hear it slow down. i'm going to try changing the oil and put in the justice brother's engine stuff from ECS and see if this helps... is there anything that might be better? what's a good fuel injector cleaner? i used stuff that i believe was called KB something last year. any other good FI cleaners out there?

jeremy@matrix
08-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by A4_Andre
thanks for all the responses and help guys, but to clariify things... the ticking is AFTER the car warms up. also when you turn the car off you can hear it slow down. i'm going to try changing the oil and put in the justice brother's engine stuff from ECS and see if this helps... is there anything that might be better? what's a good fuel injector cleaner? i used stuff that i believe was called KB something last year. any other good FI cleaners out there?

Justice Bros engine stuff? What is that?

nizmosx
08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
could be your check valve by your intake. listen for where the sound is comming from and get back to us.

A4_Andre
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by nizmosx
could be your check valve by your intake. listen for where the sound is comming from and get back to us.

it's not that...

and the justice brother's stuff is Justice brother's engine tuneup. it's on the ECS website under maintenance and then engine