PDA

View Full Version : Sheared lower timing belt cover bolt (outer)...

Nevalite
10-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Hey Guys,

I am replacing my timing belt today and I sheared one of the bolts that holds the lower timing belt plastic cover.

The bolt in question is the one on the right side which goes through the water pump, circled below:

http://i.imgur.com/Xqwm4J7.jpg

This bolt is not one of the water pump bolts, its the cover for the timing belt...

I read that the middle cover bolts are important because they will cause oil leaks if not tightened but this one is on the outside and seems less crucial.

Could I re-install the cover without this bolt?

I would replace it but the bolt is stuck in there because the alternator/power steering pump stop it from coming out...I was thinking of filling the hole with insta gasket so the remaining part of the bolt doesn't move around.

Thoughts?

BaseDrifter
10-25-2014, 01:25 PM
The main thing I would be worried about is causing the water pump to leak at that edge. The nut that goes on that bolt both holds on the lower timing belt cover and secures that edge of the water pump.

As you mentioned, the two bolts down near the crank pulley secure the front crank cover case in place, so they are important.

I just went down and looked at my car and it does look like you would have to pull off the power steering bracket to replace the broken stud. It has a square/rectangular head at the back.

Are you planning on replacing the intermediate shaft seals? You're right there, and it looks pretty nasty.

walky_talky20
10-25-2014, 03:23 PM
IM shaft looks perfectly dry to me. More like the old water pump and maybe front crank seal. Either way, nothing terrible IMO. Could leave it alone and be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevalite
10-25-2014, 04:14 PM
IM shaft looks perfectly dry to me. More like the old water pump and maybe front crank seal. Either way, nothing terrible IMO. Could leave it alone and be ok.

What is your thought on the timing belt cover bolt?

There is another water pump bolt right beside so I honestly don't think it will leak.

walky_talky20
10-25-2014, 04:35 PM
I think the pump will be fine without that bolt. It is only holding on the plastic cover, so it is not providing any real amount if torque anyway. As long as the cover is secure you should be fine. I've seen far, far worse things from other peoples timing belt jobs. This is pretty minor.

Nevalite
10-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Ok well I went ahead and re-installed everything without that bolt.

Everything is running fine, no apparent leaks from the water pump and the engine sounds good!

First timing belt job complete, what a day!