PDA

View Full Version : Test Pipes - B5 (manual) 2.8l

hb93
10-25-2014, 03:28 AM
Anyone know of anyone still making downpipes/testpipes for the AHA/ATQ (2.8l 30v - non turbo'ed - PES Supercharged), etc engines? Preferably in 3 inch. I've searched quite long and hard and can't come up with anything. I suppose I could go custom (and I will if need be). This would be for certain times of year - when I will be putting in some track time - not for 'daily driver' type usage. Thanks.

Corrado_Guy
10-25-2014, 08:20 AM
I don't think you will find much specifically for your motor because not many people upgraded them. If I am not mistaken the V8 down pipes from the B6 V8 will fit though. I am pretty sure the people who have been swapping V8 motors into cars that had the V6 said the exhaust bolted to the V8 motor so this may be a route to investigate.

hb93
10-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Corrado_Guy - Thanks! I will look into that. I have slightly bigger problems atm - the bolts sheared on the new, supposedly OEM front driver's side axle. Looking at them it seems the chain autoparts stores are selling inferior bolts w/ the axles (def. don't 'meet or exceed OEM' in any case) - they are noticeably softer steel. I'll see how this pans out tomorrow when my mech and I get under there and get a better look. But that's actually good news, spent half the day thinking I'd somehow killed the transmission.

Corrado_Guy
10-26-2014, 08:23 AM
After market drive shafts are inferior to the factory parts for the most part so I would steer clear of them in general. If you have to replace a CV then I just use the factory ones because they will last much longer and give you less issues.

GrapeBandit
10-26-2014, 08:29 AM
just rebuild the cv, its easy. i recently did 2 of them

hb93
10-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Corrado_Guy - Thanks! Good thing I keep all my parts - I'll look into rebuilding the axles going forward. I think one was replaced with a non-OEM prior to my purchasing the vehicle, if that's the case (I'll be able to be certain this evening) then I will have my mech keep an eye out for one at the junk yard. I'm sending him down there today to grab an extra set of bolts for this anyway. It honestly didn't occur to me that the higher-end of the parts available at parts stores would be notably inferior to genuine parts, at least for things like this. Live and learn....Really do appreciate your feedback and assistance!

\