PDA

View Full Version : New 09 C6 A6 owner here - can MMI be swapped out for aftermarket?

Smeag OL'
10-18-2014, 05:08 PM
Sorry for not searching as I'm literally sitting in the barbershop on my phone.

1. Can the MMI system be swapped out for something aftermarket? I believe I have the 2G system with Nav and DVD in trunk. No SD card, no Usb, no fun.

If anyone has done it, were they able to integrate it with vag com?

Thanks

enoch861
10-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Can it be swapped out for aftermarket? Short answer... No.
Long answer: With money pretty much anything is possible.
It is possible to do a retrofit to 3G MMI though although like I said earlier, with money anything is pretty much possible.

AndreNY
10-20-2014, 11:53 AM
why?

Smeag OL'
10-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Can it be swapped out for aftermarket? Short answer... No.
Long answer: With money pretty much anything is possible.
It is possible to do a retrofit to 3G MMI though although like I said earlier, with money anything is pretty much possible.

Thanks for that. It's the only thing I'm really not too keen on. I think I may consider a 3G MMI retrofit as I think I have the last 2G (dvd in trunk)

why?

Just feels very antiquated

Smeag OL'
10-21-2014, 02:59 AM
If possible, can someone direct me to a list of the parts necessary to upgrade to a 3G high system?

Kevin1
10-21-2014, 04:57 AM
If possible, can someone direct me to a list of the parts necessary to upgrade to a 3G high system?

The practical advice is to simply buy a newer car with the 3G system and to sell what you have. It will be far cheaper and far easier.

enoch861
10-21-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure anyone has actually successfully done it on an A6, but here's someone who did it on an A4 I believe: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/502060-New-3G-Plus-MMI-in-2010-Retrofit I also believe that someone successfully did it on another Audi model even though I don't specifically remember which one.
But in cases like this, Google is going to be your best friend.

Many of us will trade in our cars for newer ones [with newer MMI versions] before we even think about doing a retrofit like that.
Good luck with it though if you do try and undertake the task!

sun_dance
10-21-2014, 04:06 PM
why exactly do you want a newer unit...you state in your thread "No SD card, no Usb, no fun". You do realize that you can add these options to your existing unit. For example, a Dension 500 will allow you to have USB, and combined with a good quality A2DP dongle you can do music through the speakers via any handset and no wires ;)