PDA

View Full Version : ECS wavy two piece rotors

Dfw007
10-15-2014, 08:16 AM
I don't like to advertise for vendors, but these rotors look nice. I have the first set that were non-wavy and semi two piece, $100 cheaper. I will def be upgrading to these when I am through my current set.

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_B8_RS5_ECS_Tunig_Front_2_Piece_Wave_Style_Rot ors_2013_2014_2015

dazed1
10-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Other than being ~100 less than OEM, how are these different / better?

s4del
10-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Lighter, so reduces unsprung weight, combined with lightweight forged wheels and you're in business.

dazed1
10-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Lighter, so reduces unsprung weight, combined with lightweight forged wheels and you're in business.

Lighter than the stock wavy rotors? Curious on how tough they are too.

JamesRS5
10-15-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm interested to hear if they have made a left and right rotor with the correct facing cooling veins inside, unlike the Audi one rotor fits all theory (cheaper production but not efficient at cooling) of making a brake rotor.

LINDW4LL
10-15-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm interested to hear if they have made a left and right rotor with the correct facing cooling veins inside, unlike the Audi one rotor fits all theory (cheaper production but not efficient at cooling) of making a brake rotor.

"Directionally veined: Conventional RS5/R8 rotors are curved-veined only going one way so heat is dissipated much faster on one side than the other, relying on an inefficient centrifuge-like effect to evacuate hot air from within the rotor. ECS 2-Piece rotors feature side-specific directionally curved veins, which accelerate air away from the rotor at a higher velocity, leading to consistent, rapid cooling on both side equally."

JamesRS5
10-16-2014, 02:59 AM
That answers that question then [:)]

Dfw007
10-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Lighter than the stock wavy rotors? Curious on how tough they are too.

The stock rotors are not tough at all regardless. I blew through the stock rotors after 6000 miles and two track days. This cannot be worse and you can, I think, replace the disc for a cheaper price. But I am not sure on that yet. I have their first version which is not wavy nor full two piece and they look fine after two track days already. That was with more aggressive pads than I ran on the stock rotors.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Appreciate all the feed back!

Replacements would be available, typically we just offer a discount on a new pair of assembled rotors rather than go through the hassle of having the customer send in their old rotors to be re-ringed or send them parts and have them attempt to rebuild them.

It's much safer and quicker just to send out new rotors when the time comes. [up]

Jason

dazed1
10-16-2014, 10:46 AM
The stock rotors are not tough at all regardless. I blew through the stock rotors after 6000 miles and two track days. This cannot be worse and you can, I think, replace the disc for a cheaper price. But I am not sure on that yet. I have their first version which is not wavy nor full two piece and they look fine after two track days already. That was with more aggressive pads than I ran on the stock rotors.

Oh, I know all about the stock rotors being bad. I'm on my second set with only 3 track days as well. Hence am more curious on benefits, build quality, how they perform on track. If i wouldnt have just replaced my rotors, I might try these the next time.

Dfw007
10-16-2014, 01:00 PM
So far so good on the first ecs I'm using. These look similar in design and worth it even if it lasts as long as the OEM.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-16-2014, 01:19 PM
So far so good on the first ecs I'm using. These look similar in design and worth it even if it lasts as long as the OEM.

They are very similar in design. Only differences being the "Wave" rotor ring which saves additional weight from the traditional rotor as well as the addition of Tru-Float Technology:

The full float design allows independent radial and lateral thermal expansion and movement. Both of these features reduce thermal stresses on the rotor due to uneven thermal loading under hard braking.
The full float design conducts less heat in to the bearings due to reduced contact area between the rotor and the hat, improving bearing life.
The radial expansion allows the ring to increase in diameter without being restrained by the hat, reducing the tendency to “cone” or distort toward the outer braking surface, improving pedal feel and pad wear characteristics
The lateral float capability allows the rotor to self-center between the pads, improving pad wear and reducing drag. It also reduces the effects of pad knock back, which is the tendency of the rotor to push the pistons back in to the calipers due to wheel bearing deflection under extreme loading, resulting in a soft pedal and inconsistent braking. Reducing or eliminating knock back by allowing the rotor to float and self-center results in a more consistent pedal feel and braking.
Jason

dazed1
10-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks. I'll probably try these out the next time I need rotors (few months :p )

Demandred
10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Jason

Will these fit ok no problems on the Pre facelift RS5 ? should be ok ?

Jimmy ny
10-16-2014, 08:39 PM
I wonder if these will solve the issue with the break vibration. Mine comes and goes. It's not a warped rotor. But so called pad wear build up. Will these with new street pads, stop this problem. Besides being lighter, I see they also have slots on the face.

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Jason

Will these fit ok no problems on the Pre facelift RS5 ? should be ok ?

As long as your vehicle uses a 365X34mm rotor they should install just fine.

Jason

scmguru
10-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Is there a way to make the stock rotors last longer with different pads?

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-21-2014, 06:45 AM
Is there a way to make the stock rotors last longer with different pads?

Going with a less aggressive pad might help, but the biggest factor is going to be how hard you are on the brakes. Tracking the vehicle will surely cause rotors to wear out prematurely since it can be extremely hard on the brakes. But as for street driving engine breaking helps. Try to avoid slamming on the brakes as much as you can or late braking.

I hope this helps!

Jason

dazed1
11-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Just did my track weekend @ buttonwillow this weekend. Looks like I'm out of another set of stock rotors and need replacements. (4th track day on brand new rotors in last 3 months).

few questions:

1. Would these be better under heat / heaving braking?
2. What track pads do you suggest? I normally use Pagid RS29's, but just used the Hawk HT-10 for buttonwillow.

After a 24 minute session, my rotors measured about 810* (fronts).
After working on braking, they measured @ about 550*

Will these rotors handle heat better than stock?

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Our Wave rotors should be able to with stand heat better than OEM for the following reasons:

Gray cast iron rings - High quality FC-30 cast iron with high a carbon content improves wear properties at elevated temperatures and has excellent thermal conductivity and vibration damping properties.

The full float design allows independent radial and lateral thermal expansion and movement. Both of these features reduce thermal stresses on the rotor due to uneven thermal loading under hard braking.

The full float design conducts less heat in to the bearings due to reduced contact area between the rotor and the hat, improving bearing life.

ECS 2-Piece rotors feature side-specific directionally curved vanes which pump air through the rotor at a higher velocity, leading to consistent, rapid cooling on both sides equally.

Rotor rings feature 48 veins compared to 45 on the stock rotors and feature a whopping 55% increase in internal surface area to further improve cooling efficiency compared to the stock rotors.

I hope this helps!

Jason

dazed1
11-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks Jason.

Suggestions on pads? I'm used to the Pagid RS29 for the track. I plan on leaving them on the car at all times since I will be tracking it every other month.

ECS Tuning-Audi
11-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Thanks Jason.

Suggestions on pads? I'm used to the Pagid RS29 for the track. I plan on leaving them on the car at all times since I will be tracking it every other month.

I don't have too much experience with dedicated track pads unfortunately, but I have heard good things about Hawk DTC-70's. If I were you I'd search around on the forums a bit and you can probably find a good amount of info on what pads have worked well for track guys and these vehicles.

Jason

chrissurfr
11-26-2014, 06:41 PM
what pads would you recommend for street use with these?

ECS Tuning-Audi
12-01-2014, 08:17 AM
what pads would you recommend for street use with these?

Anything from OEM to EBC RedStuff, Hawk Ceramic, or Hawk HPS would be adequate for street use.

Jason