PDA

View Full Version : I'm Buying a A4, and I Just need a little help.

Pitman13
08-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I'm buying a A4 this week or the next, I just have a few minor questions, and if someone could help me out, that would be a good looks.

Anywho, I'm looking into buying a 98-99, I'm seeing a few thats going for between $7,500 - $8,500, which is more or less my price range I'm tryna spend right now.

My question is what kind of milage should I be looking for, I was going thru a few pages and someone just bought a A4 with 100K+ miles on it, my first thought was damn thats alot of miles. I'm thinking of going 80,000 or lower with the miles. I'm tryna have this car for a good 3+ years without major problems on it. Also what common problems do 98 A4s usually have, again I'm trying to avoid spending bucu money on fixing, I'd rather use that money on "modding". Also, if anyone can give me a little additional advice about buying a A4, that would be helpful as well.

Again If anyone can help, good looks in advance, I figured my ?s are "newbie" questions, but I'd rather ask, then pretend like I know everything when I don't.

http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/glasses.gif

AudiSnawb
08-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Make sure it has service records.... and if it doesnt and the car has about 70K +, then expect to sink another 1500 dollars into it worth of preventive maintence. (timing belt, water pump) also the control arms on these things go like crazy so if you test drive one and hear the front end squeek and creek when you go over bumps, then youll have to sink a lot more money into it that way. They're expensive cars to keep up with, so just know that before you buy it...... besides that, have fun. If youre going to upgrade the engine, go 1.8T and not the 2.8 they are cheaper to upgrade then engine..... any more questions, let me know PM me or whatever. ttyl

.:AJ:.
08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
as snawb said, be sure it has maintnence records. I would get the one with the lowest amount of miles you can afford (even if it means getting an older car) to avoid maintenence costs. As for most major things anything above 60-65K check to see if the timing belt has been changed (if not negociate with the seller to change it or take the cost off the sale price) along with the control rods. Oil changes are another thing to look for, be sure it was changed with synthetic oil at every interval to avoid serious sludge problems

if you havent already, search audiworld for help because they have some guides on common B5 A4 problems, good luck!

Crazy Quattro
09-02-2005, 09:56 PM
My girlfriend is shopping for a B5, how are the 2.8 engine? Any issues

LateraLex
09-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I actually don't think mileage is as good an indicator of a cars health. A 7 year old car with 20,000 miles would likely be in worse shape than with 105,000 miles IMO. A car which is used for city driving or sits idle may have more maintenance costs than one which was used for highway commuting... might be something to think about.

diegomatrix
09-03-2005, 04:14 AM
agreed,

if possible, buy yourself a vag-com and test drive the vehicle before buying. Vag the vehicle to see if there's any potential problems/faults. manually check to see if there's any oil leakages

...i wished i had a vagcom before i bought my A4...it woulda helped alot in helping bring the price of the car down....and it helps cut down a lot of the seller's bs-ing....

Crazy Quattro
09-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
agreed,

if possible, buy yourself a vag-com and test drive the vehicle before buying. Vag the vehicle to see if there's any potential problems/faults. manually check to see if there's any oil leakages

...i wished i had a vagcom before i bought my A4...it woulda helped alot in helping bring the price of the car down....and it helps cut down a lot of the seller's bs-ing....

Wow great idea, didnt think of doing that! [hail]

LoeA4
09-06-2005, 06:11 AM
That would be a tough situation. Depends on the maintenance. I would easily choose the 100K mile car over the 80K mile car if its had the recommended maintenance done if the 80K mile car hasn't.

Rosati
09-08-2005, 12:11 AM
make sure your new 1.8t is quattro.