PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and tires help!!!

Mhps4rings
09-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Hey audi family I'm a new member and have a couple questions.
First I have a base model 2008 A6 3.2
What I'm wanting to do is add new wheels and tires. The wheels that I'm leaning towards specs are
Front Wheels: 20" x 9"
Rear Wheels: 20" x 10.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x112
Front Offset: 30 ET
Rear Offset: 35 ET

Does the offsets sound right for this application?
Secondly. In regards to tires. What would you guys suggest? I don't want the box/square look but don't want to ride on rubber bands neither as the roads here are not too ideal. And what lowering springs would you suggest for the best look and ride quality?
Thanks in advance audi family.

sun_dance
09-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Hey audi family I'm a new member and have a couple questions.
First I have a base model 2008 A6 3.2
What I'm wanting to do is add new wheels and tires. The wheels that I'm leaning towards specs are
Front Wheels: 20" x 9"
Rear Wheels: 20" x 10.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x112
Front Offset: 30 ET
Rear Offset: 35 ET

Does the offsets sound right for this application?
Secondly. In regards to tires. What would you guys suggest? I don't want the box/square look but don't want to ride on rubber bands neither as the roads here are not too ideal. And what lowering springs would you suggest for the best look and ride quality?
Thanks in advance audi family.

My recommendation is that you don't get different width wheels to start with, it'll be a pain making sure you correctly match tires to wheels to ensure your rolling circumference is the same for all 4. As for offset, you'll be running aggressive, but it should fit.

you mention your roads aren't great, but then you want to run 20" wheels, which means you will be running a 255/30/20 tires...that is thin and won't offer you much in terms of cushioning. I believe the most you can run with a 20" wheel on the C6 will be something like a 35 width...so if the roads are in fact really bad, maybe go with a 19" wheel instead...??? but that's your call

Quattrocentric
09-11-2014, 04:59 AM
+1 for this. Run a square set up, (same width wheel all round) you also will be able to rotate them at some point.
I have 255/35-20 on a 20x9 wheel, with H&R sport springs over my stock S-line shocks. This gives me about a 2" drop on my avant.
I have rubbed a couple of times with people in the car over bumps at speed, but mostly have had no issues.
Do not run 30 series tires unless you are planning on constantly repairing/replacing your rims! These are heavy cars. Also keep tire pressures on the high side (40 or more) to avoid pinching of the side walls

If you plug your info into www.willtheyfit.com, the site will calculate clearance, size difference and even speedo variance for you.

Good luck, and post some pics for us!

Mhps4rings
09-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Man you audi guys are amazing. I came from a jaguar and let's just say the forum was a lot less helpful.
Ok so I'm really wanting to do the staggered setup so I'll check the website. And do you guys know anything about fender rolling and would that help if I'm wanting to go staggered. Sorry for the stupid questions. But thanks guys.

sun_dance
09-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Man you audi guys are amazing. I came from a jaguar and let's just say the forum was a lot less helpful.
Ok so I'm really wanting to do the staggered setup so I'll check the website. And do you guys know anything about fender rolling and would that help if I'm wanting to go staggered. Sorry for the stupid questions. But thanks guys.

you only need to worry about rolling your fenders if you've got excessive rubbing. Most places will do it for you, if you don't feel like doing it yourself. It's pretty straight-forward. But be aware your previous Jag being 2wd and the Audi being 4wd/Quattro, the square setup will be better for you in the long-run; tire rotation, even wear, etc...

Mhps4rings
09-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Actually my a6 is fwd
So would that make any difference?

sun_dance
09-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Actually my a6 is fwd
So would that make any difference?

YES, it does make a difference.

Since you can run a staggered setup without real impact on your differential. Although having a FWD vehicle and running a large rear staggered setup will be ENTIRELY for looks alone and actually defeats the purpose of performance. Since, you want to have the larger tire patch to the wheels which are 'driving' the car. Hence, why most RWD vehicles have a rear biased stagger.

So if all you want is to have a particular look, go for it. You won't really have any issues with the car and destroying your Quattro, since you don't have a Quattro.

Mhps4rings
09-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Ok cool
Thank you for the advice.
I appreciate it