PDA

View Full Version : Any Attorney's on here?

chris the man
09-09-2014, 06:42 PM
I am most definitely seeking some legal help here. "moved this thread from general to here".

Long story short I am in the middle of a lawsuit with my previous employer. I have had legal help/advice up to this point. We are 1 month away from our "preliminary hearing". My previous lawyer is no longer to be found and from the new attorneys I have tried to hire request a $10k minimum retainer- something of which I absolutely can not afford.

I have strong evidence and a very clear grasp on my case. My need is for someone who understands Colorado Law and wouldn't mind advising me on a few things I should be aware of or looking for before the hearing? I want to represent myself but I hope I am not committing suicide by choosing this route.

I know this is odd to post on here, please forgive me. But I have had a ton of help from this forum so I venture it is worth a try!

I do not expect anyones time or advice to be free. But please let me know if you or someone can be of help.

The case in short is a lawsuit about a non compete/ non disclosure.

Thanks again guys!

BeitzDUB
09-10-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm in the middle of some poop myself. I would recommend Dennis Lacerte 303-708-1300. He's been great for me and not too pricey.

drumnjuny
09-10-2014, 07:33 AM
I've used Sheila Carrigan at Carrigan law and was extremely satisfied. She got me out of some bullshit, i got a reckless for a 2 car accident in which i was driving a third car not involved with the accident.

Mostly though, when i get lawyers, i get them based on who knows the judge i'm in front of. if they know the judge or someone in the DA's office then way more likely to get you out of shit

KidGT
09-10-2014, 12:25 PM
PM me some more specifics.

I don't do employment law myself, but I can probably refer you to friend from law school or something.

DOCEVG
09-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Hate to admit it in public but I am a lawyer. Some thoughts:
1. You should be able to get a continuance (postponement) of your preliminary hearing on the basis your prior lawyer bailed on you (what an ass) but you'll probably want a new lawyer to make an appearance on your behalf and request the postponement while he/she gets up to speed on the dispute.
2. You'll be much better off it you get a lawyer who specializes in employment law, and not someone who dabbles in a bunch of areas, like traffic tickets, or someone like me who knows jackshit about employment law. I recommend Jay Jester at 303-377-7888; jjester@jgllp.com.
3. You might be able to arrange with your new lawyer not to have pay a retainer and, instead, pay the hourly rate on an as you go basis.
4. Despite not knowing much about employment law, I do know that non-compete agreements are generally not favored under Colorado law, and tend to be construed against the employer and for the (former) employee. The underlying principle is that people ought to have a right to seek (new) employment of their choosing, without restrictions imposed by a former employer. There are four or five fact sets in which non-competes are enforceable, and if your situation doesn't fall in one of those categories, you might have a pretty good shot at avoiding the non-compete. The non-disclosure restriction might be a little harder to avoid, but remember that (former) employees are generally entitled to use information that is in their head, even if acquired during and as a result of prior employment.
Good luck.

antoff83
09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
I've heard Mark Lukehart is pretty good