PDA

View Full Version : Is an alignment necessary?

captain_video
09-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I replaced the front and rear pads and rotors on a 2005 A6 3.2 Quattro over the past couple of weeks (and yes, I did use a VAG-COM to retract the parking brake motors). I noticed that the brake pedal went all the way to the floor when I continued to apply pressure. I assumed this to indicate a failing master cylinder so I replaced it. Afterwards, when I pushed on the pedal it went all the way to the floor immediately.

Fast forward to a few days later and multiple reinstalls and complete flushes of the brake system with the same results. I ended up getting the car towed to the nearest Audi dealer. They diagnosed a leaking right front caliper and said that the sway bar link was torn, which I assumed they meant that the bushing(s) were bad. They also indicated that the car would need an alignment after fixing the sway bar links and bushings. I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the need for an alignment when replacing sway bar links and bushings as I don't see how they would affect the wheel alignment.

Am I correct in assuming that the stealership was quoting unnecessary maintenance? I haven't had a chance to get under the car to check the sway bar links or bushings yet to confirm their findings, but I've ordered new ones anyway. BTW, they quoted me $743.40 for the parts and labor, which I thought was a bit outrageous. They already charged me for a new caliper at $340 plus a new bleeder valve at about $23. New Meyle links and bushings with shipping only cost me about $88.00.

FYI - the new caliper did fix the braking problem. What was strange was that there was no indication of brake fluid leaking anywhere so it had me completely stumped. I only take the car to a dealership when it's either still under warranty or I'm absolutely desperate.

SinCityA6
09-11-2014, 06:57 AM
Alignment after swaybar end links and bushings is NOT necessary.

captain_video
09-11-2014, 10:44 AM
That's what I figured. Thanks for the feedback.